1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Underground Suggestion

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Duplolas, May 14, 2014.

?

Would you like more "privacy" in building?

1. Yes, I would like both of the suggested changes to be implemented.

58.8%
  2. Yes, but I would only like Emote and Text Box changes to be implemented

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, but I would only like the mini-map changes to be implemented.

23.5%
  4. No, I would not like either of the suggested changes implemented.

17.6%
Mods: Rainbows
  1. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

Light from buildings when underground was a bit of a hassle for builders. It is good that that is now gone, as of build 1110. Now Mole Builders, such as myself, may more easily dig tunnels without enemies finding out about it.

Removing the light is a good step in the right direction, but if you are going to give builders the ability to be a bit more sneaky, don't stop at lighting. You still can be seen when typing or using emotes underground. If you ever want to maintain somewhat of a hidden tunnel, no one ever will be able to communicate with their team while in it. But that's not all, the mini-map still shows tunnels being made and allows for an easy way to check to see if anyone is tunneling

I am going to attack these two issues separately.

First, the seeing of emotes and messages. I suggest a simple and catchy change.

If it appears in the dirt, it doesn't work. This means that if the picture of your text box or of your emotes is fully covered by blocks above you, the enemy cannot see them when you use them.

Second, the seeing of a tunnel being made on your mini-map. This part is a bit more of a complex suggestion.

I propose that, at map start, only the initial map can be seen. This means that if you want to see any changes to the map, you have to be in proximity to them. Of course, once you see it, the map for your entire team is updated.

This not only allows for better tunnel privacy, but also allows for better build-time privacy. Normally you can just open up the full mini-map and see how exactly your enemy is choosing to defend their base. Now you won't be able to.

Thoughts and Ideas?

Vampire, Stevedog and 101i like this.
  2. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

Would be nice to see the map update in this manner. Really nice.

I don't know how much work it would take, though..

3. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

I do like the mini map idea for sure, but I'm 50/50 on the emoticon/text bubbles. I do think though that the "typing" bubble should not appear above your head while you're typing in team chat, no matter where you are.

Edit: @Duplolas you should change the name of this thread to "Underground Suggestion". When I first read the title, I thought it would be for the workshop tunnels.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
    NinjaCell and Gurin like this.
  4. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

Yeah, I was referring to the bubble but didn't know how to put it.

Also, I changed the tittle as you asked :)

Edit:

Just to get this done and out of the way,

@Geti

Would the mini-map exploration / refreshing function be able to be implemented?

And.

Would it be worth the effort, in your opinion, to create and implement it?

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  5. I suggest the map should be based off Your field of vision and what you last saw it as.

For the team chat somewhat similar, You should be able to see the players chat without obstacles blocking the way.

as for emoticons, Their should be a key near the normal emoticons key to initiate Team Emoticons which will follow the same rule.

Implementing these features will create a new atmosphere of stealth and surprise (Sorry for the long response)

6. -Crimson-

-Crimson- Haxor

@Stevedog will love this!

This is a good suggestion in my opinion, even though I am not really a tunneller, other people enjoy it, so why not add it in?

Stevedog likes this.
  7. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Re: why it's not done this way already - a large amount of work in KAG has been done to reduce the amount of stuff that has to be done every frame - doing something like this would increase that work quite a bit. While I agree it would be a nice change I'm not sure the cost of updating the minimap image at all times would be worth it.

8. Yes i certainly would love this, i would be unstoppable!

9. Verzuvius

Verzuvius Shark Slayer

REMOVE THE MAP!

Somethings are not supposed to be seen!

[​IMG]

bout likes this.
  10. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

There could be some sort of middle ground between this idea and one that doesn't increase the amount of work needed substantially.

The only thing I could think of off the top of my head is having the map refresh on a timer. Having the standard being set something like every 2 minutes. Then server owners can customize it based upon what they like / dislike.

That idea alone is kinda flawed, but again, it is just off the top of my head.

But, quick question...

If the current system makes it so the mini-map is a representation of the current state of the map, doesn't that mean that it is constantly refreshing? I would think that if the method or a method similar to what I have suggested was implemented, it wouldn't necessarily be a "constant" redrawing of the map. Because, wouldn't certain changes of the map never be fully recorded and distributed to your team? Wouldn't that slightly decrease the amount of work needed rather than increasing it substantially?

From a outside perspective, this is what I would assume. However, I hardly know what any of the inner components of KAG are or how they function, so it could be wrong.

But even if I was wrong, the workload in the current build has been reduced thanks to the removal of terrain erosion from explosions. So, if this was something that you and the rest of the team deem as worthwhile, it wouldn't increase the amount of work needed too far over that of what was required in builds before terrain erosion was removed.

11. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

No, the minimap is only "refreshed" when the map changes, and only for the tile that changes. Making it change based on line of sight and so on would require checking nearby tiles constantly and updating their minimap square - significantly more work than changing one pixel in an image upon receiving a tile change from the server.

zerd likes this.
  12. toffie0

toffie0 is sweeter than you <3 Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

People need to see smilies, even from a distance.... How are you meant to call for back up? Or warn people?

Also with chatting people need to see the text box otherwise well let's just say some people get cranky when they get chat killed.

13. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

I think the stealthy chat bubble would only be for team chat. Also I tell this to everyone who complains about getting chat-killed: why the hell are you typing when there's an enemy right there?

Malitha likes this.
  14. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

Ah ok. Now I get it.

That means my initial idea is out of the question...

I will have to think up a different way for this to work then.

Mods: Rainbows