1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Update on the THD.VG story + Patch estimates for KAG

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DevBlogger, Jun 22, 2014.

1. SpideY

SpideY Hear Me Roar Staff Alumni Donator

I didnt say these posts were constructive...

It could be a good point if some of those vets can suggest some ideas for a competitive aspect. It depends of what devs plan to do.

After a quick kag break, im wondering some things and its a bit hard to find these infos and its blurred for me and for others players (imo)

Understand me, i bought soldat, KAG, tried Link Dead and Storm 2d. Its still hard to follow MM and his projects. Does he want to create a new soldat for example ?

2. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

i think how Storm2D is looking and explained should tell you that it's somewhat of a successor to soldat

can't answer your first point.

second and third points.

Apronymous likes this.
  3. darDar

darDar KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester

None of them are really supporting the game in any way. Half of the community has been in touch with hacks and like 90% of the competive scene didn't even purchase the game (which is hilarious since a lot of them spent the last 5-10 years on it 24/7, but have the need to get it for free)
    Most of them also have no idea about Soldat itself (nothing aside of playing it) and also not about any other project MM is involved in.
    So, the word "support" does not fit in any way.
    It's also fun how everyone in the soldat community is whining about the massive "eats" "lags" "bugs" "no new features" "slow development of the versions" bla-bla-bla" but then, when there came a nearly 1:1 game, they are still not statisfied, but Storm2 is actually better in all ways.
    Such behaviour makes me really angry.

Well, we drifted pretty much away from the original post, so I'll try to stop as everything is explained. :thumbs_up:

Ej likes this.
  4. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Yagger answered your other questions with a quote - I actually mentioned this leftover question in the big response to dar, however:
    Yes, MM works on KAG sometimes, but more often when he's working on KAG codebase it's engine tweaks for these side projects now (eg for shiprekt and this trench war type game).

Re: the sort of implicit question of if MM wants to create successor to soldat with storm:
    I would say yes, but keep in mind that MM isn't doing much direct work on storm, he's managing the core team which consists of Roland, Al, Skykanden and VirtualTT. I think MM has been involved with coding some movement fixes for storm and maybe some netcode stuff, but he's more involved in management because he's busy working on prototypes with me.

Noburu likes this.
  5. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

10mb gif inbound:
    [​IMG]
    Just updating here with some WIP "footage" of that side project as it's progressing.
    We're working on getting a dev blog for it up and some better recordings of stuff going on.
    That said, this seems to have been enough to spark some discussion elsewhere :^)

illu, MadRaccoon, TheWids and 19 others like this.
  6. Anonymuse

Anonymuse Arsonist

That looks sick, I honestly can't wait until it's released. Is that going to be a mod for people to run on their servers? Are you going to release an early version of it?

7. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

wow, the less the better

8. UltraMarine_Val

UltraMarine_Val Bison Rider
    1. FUN Servers

Lets see if we need a powerfull pc like for shiprekt :<

9. Geti

This is not likely to be released as a mod for KAG, as it's a multi-month investment of our time, and this is what we do to pay the bills.
    I realise this isn't going to be popular with a lot of our younger supporters, but we want to take lucas through all parts of development, including bringing a game to market and working with real customer feedback, so the game is most likely to be released standalone with a (small) pricetag on it. Honestly some of the content is less than appropriate for children anyway.

It shouldn't, shiprekt is CPU intensive because of all the dynamic stuff going on, 1000s of objects being rotated, doing physics updates and so on - in this trenchwars game most of the CPU usage has been the AI.

10. :rekt::thumbs_up:

11. Anonymuse

Anonymuse Arsonist

I honestly would not mine paying for it whatsoever, even with a price tag like $10-$15. Looking forward to hearing more updates!

12. From what I've seen I will definitely buy the trench wars game. I've seen some of your work on PixelJoint as well, good stuff!

13. Beef

Beef ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ ก้้้้้้้้้้้ Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

This is something I really admire about Geti, and THD as a whole I guess, is they have their vision for a game and by god they stick to that. They know what they'd like to play, they test it, they listen to others, sure but ultimately they make the game they want to play, and we're all the better for it.

I still hope they add an option to skip the three hour minigame of having a tea party with little anime girls though.

14. UltraMarine_Val

UltraMarine_Val Bison Rider
    1. FUN Servers

Happy to hear that :>

15. Geti

MM said we should reconsider the price tag after seeing this, haha. I think we're leaning more towards the $5 level but we'll see how developed it gets.

@Beef thanks, that's probably the thing I like most about THD as well; the 3 hour tea parties ;^)

Someone asked for a view of just the explosions elsewhere, so here's some of that.
    [​IMG]
    I'm keen to show you guys the sniper soon. We've got to get the other blog together so I can point you there.

MadRaccoon, TheWids and Andr01d like this.
  16. Nand

Nand Arsonist Tester

Jesus, those animations are smooth... I can almost feel that explosion through my monitor.

You guys are building this on the kag engine yeah? How hard would it be to mod the two together?

17. Geti

Depends what sort of modding you have in mind. Both are designed as games, not as mods for the engine, and the TW content relies on TW map being in place a lot of the time, has its own requirements for hitting, and so on. Might be feasible to get TW actors into a KAG game but honestly we're not thinking about it too much, just trying to make a nice independent game and find out how much stuff we need to pull out of the engine at each step.

18. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Are the maps Png files?

Joiken likes this.
  19. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

That looks fucking snazzy. Will it feature landscape destruction or will it be static? Or somewhere inbetween (think specific tiles or objects that can be destroyed to reveal alternate paths or destroy cover)?

20. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Static and maps are png

i'm geti's best friend