1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Useful Structures - a community effort.

Discussion in 'Builder' started by Swaggernuts, Jul 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

2. Mani

Mani Shipwright

Now that's pretty sweet. I see you hurt yourself on some of those gold spikes at the top there...

3. dwatring

dwatring KAG Guard Tester

[​IMG]

Super simple forward defense tower. 284 stone, 240 wood. The hanging pieces of rock can be detached to stop annoying knights from digging into your wall. Upkeep is simple and the team can pass through quickly.

4. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I like all your structures but the images are very low quality.

any chance of someone remaking these and then posting a nice high quality image of them? Would be nice to toss on the wiki that way.

edit: Actually it seems a lot of these images are rather low quality. Oh well.

5. HA1TER

HA1TER Shopkeep Stealer

Well,photos are captured whit Prt Scr,and if you don`t play on full screen whit high resolution it will always be like this.
    But we can try to make some better qual. photos.

6. illu

illu En Garde! Donator Tester

Next time press [F4] for screenshotting.

7. BlueLuigi

F4 is very nice, I took a few already, just need to crop them. And the screenshotquality was set to 99, I assume that's 99%, so I'll try it at 100% and perhaps it will be better.

Link because picture is huge.

http://puu.sh/5mDX

8. goodyman8

goodyman8 Bison Rider

bomb net.
    screenshot comming tommorow (sleep sweet sleep for now)

9. Darcia

Darcia Chief Fur Love Director <3 Donator Tester

Here is a copy of my own invention: the pyramid trap. I grew mad at builders for just adding small square blocks that pretty much only work once. The enemy falls in, maybe dies, but usually they just dig out and destroy the trap. Sometimes this even lets them into your base!

trap.png

So I designed this trap to avoid some of the common problems. First, I make sure there are a lot of trapdoors (A). If the enemy can't see the trap properly they won't be able to avoid falling in, and having more than one helps avoid bombs. The layered sides (B) stop the enemy from wall sliding, and even if they do wall slide each time they hit a wall it will do damage which will kill them by the second or third layer. I make sure the base is reinforced (C) with a good stone foundation that goes several blocks back. This stops them tunnelling in our out, which really helps. And finally, I make sure the trap is deep enough to kill with gravity (D) so that if they don't wall slide and fall directly down they will still die.

This is, I find, a perfect trap. Though it does take a lot of time and resources to make, so it's something that should be done at spawn rather than in-game (unless you enjoy Minecrafting). Bedrock can also ruin it, but you can otherwise make it as deep as you like (the deeper the better!)

Oh, and one last thing to all you friendlies: If you do fall into your own trap and survive, DON'T DIG OUT! Kill yourself (with the suicide key not a bomb) so the trap still kills enemies. I've seen so many friendlies dig their way out of a trap, leaving the path open for enemies. I've even seen builders put down ladders right into our base!

Ej, CalenLoki, illu and 2 others like this.
  10. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

There's no such thing as a "suicide key". Suicide is F+E, which ALWAYS throws your bomb, knights cant suicide without throwing their bomb. However, great trap!

Actually, come to think of it, if you want suicide without throwing a bomb, for now, just press c to drop your bomb as loot. That way you don't throw it. Hopefully a single key will be put in for suicide soon.

11. Darcia

Darcia Chief Fur Love Director <3 Donator Tester

Didn't think of that, but good suggestion about dropping the bomb with C! Once the bomb goes off, you help destroy the trap.

12. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

[​IMG]
    Since we were discussing it before, I posit that this is far more cost effective than the same height in doorladdered solid wall if it's in a position of competition.
    My reasoning:
    Pros
    • It's far cheaper (you could spend your extra resources on an archer nest at the top of it). This is the kind of thing that one guy can put up while the knights ahead stall without having to run back.
    • Your team exits from a lower point on the structure (the top door rather than the roof) -> you can build it higher without members of your team complaining about their booboos.
    • You don't have the issue of knights collapsing it - if they break through they'll most likely just run off towards the rest of your base. This chance of it being left behind after the battle means re-taking the position might be as simple as plonking down a stone and a door, and patching up some damaged blocks.
    • You can shoot out of it at ground level and shield drop out of it - it's much easier to defend.
    Cons
    • It still suffers from being easily passed by one builder with ladders.
    • It's only got 1 tile of resistance so you do need to be actively defending it.
    Optional extras:
    • Ladders along the firing ports to make leaving the structure slightly slower but firing out of the ports much more ergonomic (-> defence more effective)
    • Deeper, spikier, reinforced pit.
    • Reinforced floor to make pit-diggers unhappy.
    • Arrow nest up top w/ murder holes etc.
    • Triangle of Castle BG blocks behind to aid support.
    Has anyone got other good frontline constructions, or suggestions for this one?
    I've found this one (and it's more complicated relatives that I'm sure a lot of you have seen me building) very effective in games with good team-players.

13. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

If you fill the hole with ladders it catches bombs for you better.

14. BlueLuigi

I've yet to find a downside to doing this but during long downtimes I simply connect all the structures I can (barring trees being in the way) with background tiles. I rarely note builders coming towards the front on opposite teams, and since it takes knights a full swing I rarely see them breaking background tiles, having multiple structs attached like this means more work for them to break a single one, so a builder on our team has more time to fix it.

There's probably a downside, I just haven't noticed it yet. Only really works in beginning time when, since I'm not exactly marvelous at building structures, it gives me something to do that helps the team to some extent.

15. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

Yes I do this too! The only problem is I find builders disconnecting the links because they want the trees to grow. Trees piss me off to be honest. I wish there was like an area behind the base where all the trees were so you can just build freely. With the resource truck or whatever it is coming then it would be ideal.

16. Contrary

I like to build parapets (probably the wrong word)? on top of all buildings. It makes them prettier.

[​IMG]

trelawney and Wolven like this.
  17. goodyman8

goodyman8 Bison Rider

sorry if ive read it halfly/misunderstood something but i think the only downside is.
    that people eventually realize what last part is keeping a structure up and aim for it.

18. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

@contrary: you're missing a murder hole on that forwards fort.

19. Contrary

I was being facetious. The point of my post was to advertise roof decorations I like.

Here are more serious buildings:

[​IMG]

From left to right:

1. 50 Stone. I like to build according to the terrain. Building walls on steps gives you extra height for free. A simple wall, cheap and can stall enemy knights for a decent amount of time.

2. 212 Stone 143 Wood. I've never actually built exactly like this, this is an amalgamation of starting buildings I like to build and things I build once the games begun. If I'm in tryahrd mode I generally don't build nice things once the game's started, I fill tunnels or spam meaty walls like the first but more. Generally I build with only the resources I loot on my way to spam ladders for the team, though sometimes I do sit and mine. Depends on the situation. Anyways this is a cute little tower with archer cover. Cheap to erect and fairly meaty- you could even make it a layer thinner and save ~50 stone. I don't tend to make murder holes any more as they are fairly costly and archers alternating shooting and jumping on heads works just as well. Cover made out of drawbridges is not very pretty but its easier to put up than stone and stops arrows just as well. I also try to build on bedrock, but that's a no brainer.

3. 10 Wood 2 Dirt Tiles Dug. Little archer cover. Cheap and invincible to attacks by sword, unusable by enemy archers. If you have any competent marksmen on your team they will love you for it. Generally not needed though as often the terrain naturally gives good cover spots- but when there isn't quickly throwing up stuff like this makes it easy to essentially neutralize bunches of enemy archers. What little damage they were doing to your team is mitigated when they have to deal with one pesky enemy archer just waiting for them to switch targets.

20. trelawney

trelawney KAG Guard Tester

I love me a good merlon, yes I do. It not only looks good, it also sounds like an obscure french varietal.

(The term in french is créneau)
    (i call it parapet too)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.