1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Useful Structures - a community effort.

Discussion in 'Builder' started by Swaggernuts, Jul 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Spikes on trap doors dont work and are only useful for harming team-mates. Pretty cool castle though, it'd be interesting to see how it played.

2. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Could get destroyed by a few knights in old build... Wouldn't take much in the newbuild either.

3. ak1215

ak1215 Shipwright

Noted.

4. Acavado

Acavado KAG Guard Tester

So the other day I tried to inform a builder that their multi-layer spike and trapdoor trap wouldn't work. He cursed me out, finished his trap, and it killed every enemy that tried to pass it. It wasn't consistent though. Knights would fall, generally, past the first few trapdoors, but inevitably hit one that didn't withdraw in time and then die at the bottom of the pit. Likewise, while I thought that this
    [​IMG]
    trap was absolutely brilliant, it too often failed to withdraw it's spikes in time.

It wasn't teammate-damaging-proof. It's something about coming at them from a diangonal or at a high speed? Here's my addition to that design:
    KAGscreen-11-10-13-18-51-14.png

I tested it by replacing the team doors with trapdoors, and the trapdoors with air. The trapdoors will drop enemies and force them to jump, thereby killing themselves on the spiked ceiling. Teammates can walk over freely. They won't be slowed by the ladders if they stay on the ground. If they attempt to jump, the ladders will slow them down and let the wall withdraw its spikes.

I'm worried though that ingame it'll be bombed out too easily, so maybe some spikes under the trapdoors could work better, do a little bit more damage, and off enemies before they can take out the spikes. That would mean, too, a small pit under the trapdoors, so enemies would have to jump higher. Probably a good thing? Trap should still work... The corridor ought to be longer too, I think.

BlueLuigi, Noburu and illu like this.
  5. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Huh, that's clever. Would work with an entirely spiked cieling too, as a completely effective anti-knight solution.

6. Acavado

Acavado KAG Guard Tester

Yay.

It worked to my pride the first time I used it in a game, it's success in part because knights weren't accustomed to disabling it. Then some learned how to do light jumps to reach the ceiling spike and rip them out. Others assumed they couldn't, and dug under. And so on.

It's a great addition to generic spike traps. Though far from invincible.

KAGbreakme.png
    "I wonder what happens if I do this."

This is my go-to base:
    KAGonthegobase.png
    Two team doors over two ladders is nice for overhangs and is my preferred archer hole, short distance. Something like 250 stone and 200 wood, minimum, depending on how the terrain favors your build.

7. Eric_Rommel

Eric_Rommel Catapult Fodder

I like the crusher idea , but sometimes the ladders wont break?

8. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

heres the archer nest i've been building lately

[​IMG]

heres a stupid castle to go with it http://i.imgur.com/fw1Li.png

remember: add quarters to your front wall, not behind your base.

no one wants to run all the way back to start just for a quick heal

9. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Yeah no shit. People keep placing the bomb and arrow stations and quarters WAY back in the rear.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUCENTMENT:

PLACE BOMB AND ARROW STATIONS AND QUARTERS ON THE WAY TO THE FRONT LINES.

Otherwise you are screwing your team by slowing down how fast they can get back to reinforce the front lines.

Also wish people would stop placing more than two sets of team doors together. It just slows your team down too much beyond that.

10. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

yea adjacent doors are also pretty fucking annoying. leave a gap between them and you dont get that slowdown

Ej, BlueLuigi and Noburu like this.
  11. Noburu

The worst is when someoen surrounds THE WHOLE GD FLAG WITH LAYERS AND LAYERS of them during setup time. It literally takes FOREVER to even get out.

Ej, Jackard and Neat like this.
  12. Carver

Carver Meitantei-san Donator Tester

Wonderful design Jackard! I'll make sure to start putting workshops closer to the field :p

Also, I'd like to point out that spike traps are much more useful now, if you line them with stone.

13. Geti

Yeah, what carver said. Make some 3x6 knight hell pits with stone sides and an internal bridge ladder to let team-mates get out. Hilarious when you see idiots running towards your door fall in and then either get shredded as they try to grind on the wall or spam the ladder and frown emotes while stuck.

Bonus points if you set up a block-drop above the pit to end the misery of any unfortunates ;)

Asterix likes this.
  14. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Pyramid Trap is basically god tier now, just line it with stone, they'll never pass without a builder. or bombing the bottom quite a few times. I've actually jumped into games just starting where people have built no workshops at all.

Something to do at the start that is very important in my opinion is to find an area you won't use (third, fourth floor or higher of your castle) and fill it with Quarters, but don't finish them, leave one middle spot undone. You can then come as a builder and for 1 hit get 8 stone 10 wood, this is a very fast way to move up bomb workshops, arrow stations, catapults and build in general at the start.

Another thing that is very important is to add workshops right at your spawn, in the same structure as your flag, so that when you spawn you can get bombs if the enemy is at your door. If you put it behind and in a separate structure/outin the open, knights will jump over and bomb the ever living hell out of your building from behind.

Acavado and Neat like this.
  15. Darcia

Darcia Chief Fur Love Director <3 Donator Tester

Yay. My trap is godly. The gods themselves shall become trapped in my trap!
    I have some new ideas that I'll post when I have the time. I hate playing games where the builders just build randomly without any plan and it ends up being a mess. That's why I name my projects, so I can say "I'm building a pyramid trap" instead of just "I'm building a trap here" and have a bunch of newb builders jump in and make a square ¬_¬

16. Carver

Carver Meitantei-san Donator Tester

Yeah, the only downside is that if the do have bombs they might have a chance to tunnel, and spike traps are still susceptible to knights removing spikes.

That's why most of my spike traps are very basic: a 2 deep (any length, but not too long) pit, with spikes on the bottom, drawbridge right above that. This way there's not much to make and it's easy to maintain (e.g. respiking or replacing drawbridges), in addition to being less prone to despiking, BUT it still serves as a good partial hazard, especially at walls.

17. Noburu

Knights cant remove spikes now unless you count bombs.

18. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

yea knights not being able to remove spikes can really be used for some serious good.

I would still have to say that due to this you need a few good knights and a builder with you if at all possible, but that's always made for a great team.

19. Noburu

Definitely. Winning requires more team work now instead of one knight relentlessly tunneling. I am noticing less minecrafters and defensive builders now which I like. People just needed a few days to adjust to the changes.

Ej likes this.
  20. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

i am a living siege weapon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.