1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Useful Structures - a community effort.

Discussion in 'Builder' started by Swaggernuts, Jul 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bandwagonman

Bandwagonman Shopkeep Stealer

Which kind? A catapult? A ballista? A trebuchet?
    I'm a personal fan of the mangonel.

Also, what ever happened to the stockpiles and rock bucket things?

2. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Workshops make great stockpiles, 10 wood/8stone a smack. I tend to just toss a lot of unfinished Quarters around, give a quick smack and I can have stone/wood filled much faster than getting it. Spikes are also great if you just want stone.

3. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Just remember you lose 2 coins per block when you destory them again. Not that it matters much if you are a builder, but I like to build stuff during setup and use the coins for bombs as a knight at round start a lot of times.

4. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

If no one else takes your stuff you can just make a bunch of bombs at a workshop and drop them. I've yet to test if they eventually disappear, but I've left them for a life or so and they were still there.

I'm sure people destroying them will be pissed. Not being able to go negative in coins means though that if you're at 0 when breaking them you lose nothing! :D

5. Bandwagonman

Bandwagonman Shopkeep Stealer

I believe the whole point of a stockpile is to be like a network: if you had two stockpiles and you put 10 stone in one, it would appear in the other. It works the same way with retrieving.

6. Carver

Carver Meitantei-san Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Yeah that's me not reading the changelog completely :>>

7. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Yeah pretty sure even bombs and arrows eventually disappear. Its a decently long timer though.

8. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Re: stockpiles; we'll likely be adding them in a bit, rock pots are probably not going to happen as we've thought of other ways of tossing rocks at strangers, plus you can drop stone with collapses anyway.

9. Noc

Noc Bison Rider

Nobody posted the one-way staircase yet? Or the skybridge?!?!?

10. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Refering to this?

Attached Files:

• 1WS.png
      1WS.png
      File size:
      18.6 KB
      Views:
  11. Asterix

Asterix Shopkeep Stealer

Asterix's Corridor of Death

Okay, so here's my useful structure:

screen-11-10-29-01-36-21.png

Okay, so what this thing does is fairly clear. With the new patch, and the inability for enemy knights to destroy stone, the concept behind this 'trap' is to severely inhibit strong knight pushes to retrieve your flag.

There are a few key elements to the corridor:
    • Firstly, the 3 gap spacing. The 3 gap spacing allows for spike stabs when enemies try to move through the corridor, jump, fall, or walk into sets of spikes. The main benefit of this is that those pesky knights will be getting stabbed often.
    • Secondly, the corridor must be built 7 blocks high (not including the trap door layer). This allows for 2 sets of 3 gap spacing, with the allowance for a block in the middle (note, it can be multiples of 7 blocks high, i.e. 14 blocks high if you want a really tall corridor).
    • Thirdly, Ladders. Ladders have 2 benefits in this case - firstly, they slow down the knights. secondly, they create obstacles that need to be overcome.
    • Fourthly, lots of spikes. the more spikes the better. As soon as a knight gets stabbed once, he is essentially dead - as they hit a set of spikes, the recoil/bounce effect will most likely cause them to get hit by another set of spikes, and then another.
    • Fifthly, durability. As the map wears on, and the corridor has been bombed to shreds, it only gets more and more powerful - the opening of passages through the corridor challenges knights with the ego to try to pass through, and with arrows and mayhem surrounding it, their chances of getting through are slim

Summary:
    Of course there are always going to be the usual ways around fortifications (i.e. digging under it, or a lame skybridge), but for the most part, this is a durable and great way to stop powerful pushes. The madness of a large fight only adds to the strength of it (i.e. archer fire from the ladders) as it means knights have to worry about more things other than just making their way through the corridor.
    It is also relatively cheap to make these (being largely built out of backwall and ladders), and is easily makeable during build time with a bit of practice!

12. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

An archer could easily get through this by skipping across the drawbridges. In fact even without that an archer could probably snake his way through arrow laddering around, though that would be more difficult.

Knight can bomb jump over or even just jump through if they makes sure to land on the blocks on their corners. Lowering himself down via the ladders may or may not prevent him from damage as well.

I don't mean to be a dick but you're probably better off just building a straight up wall.

13. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

It needs a wall in front of it, because a single builder can easily come and destroy it in 20 seconds, and a catapult could tear it into pieces in seconds.

14. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

I think the point of it is that people can actually go through, meaning they will try to and then a lot of them will get killed. You're always talking about increasing incentive to travel the ground route, I think this would increase the incentive at the cost of a lot of your dead units. While being manned at the same time, I can honestly see this being a death trap. It's quite wide, so a bomb jump might not make it over the whole thing.

Asterix likes this.
  15. illu

illu En Garde! Donator Tester

This would destroy the sole purpose of it: Attracting players to walk into it and die.

ghosteeeeees, Acavado and Asterix like this.
  16. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Well that is true. I am thinking in ideal terms- I forget the stupidity of the average player, which should never be under estimated.

This is a good trap.

Valkyrie, Asterix and Ej like this.
  17. EdgeWing

EdgeWing Shopkeep Stealer

Looks good but i think the defence on it is no good so yeah but i like the traps so ty =)

18. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

Ideally, you'd want a hole just before the first spikes too, because you can walk through spikes without taking damage, you only get hurt if you jump on them. The hole means you'll jump on the first spikes too.

19. EdgeWing

EdgeWing Shopkeep Stealer

^ Agreed ty Neat for agreeing =) i also had a similar idea so ty

20. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

I don't mean a tower RIGHT next to it, but a bit further. That'd add even more viability to the trap, because when it gets destroyed the attackers go on adrenaline rage, "fuck yeah I'm pro" and run straightly to the trap.
    At least average foe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.