1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Video [Video] "Zombie Versus" - Constructive Criticism And Participation

Discussion in 'KAG Media' started by WanderMark, Mar 11, 2012.

1. WanderMark

WanderMark :) Donator

Hello there, you!​
    Just saying that I hope this is in the right subforum. Otherwise, feel free to lock or move it. But hey, you don't need my permission for that.​
    The reason for why I am making this thread is in the title. I want some criticism on how I can improve this particular set of videos.​
    I would also like to know if some people are willing to jump aboard and record with me.​
    So what's the idea?​
    For a rather long time I've been wanting to bring some competition to the Zombie Fortress mode. Two players, trying to outlast each other.​
    This might sound a tad bit pointless, but I really liked the outcome.​
    Right. First things first. Criticism.​
    Not saying that you should watch the entire vide. Maybe just skip​
    ahead a little bit and see how it looks,​
    from a technical standpoint.​
    What about the second player's screen placement. Should I lower its opacity? What about the text? Does it look okay, maybe have some sort of picture instead?​
    Here are the things I feel needs a change.
    I need your help with this one. What would be the best place to have keep the screen?​
    Closer to the border? Larger, smaller?​
    Does it need any opacity? I kinda want both screens to stand out on their own. Lowering its opacity will make it easier for people to get the overall impression, but I am afraid that it will also make things messy. If you catch my drift.​
    How do I make the text stand out in a good way, what colours should I use? Scrap text completley and use some sort of picture instead?​
    Is the current placement good? Above the 2nd player's screen?​
    That's about it for the criticism. Maybe you can find something else that I've overlooked.​
    So let's move on to the next point of this thread. Participation.​
    Basically, I want new people to do this with between different videos. Not always, but at least a majority of the time. I am currently revising my schedule here, but sitting down and recording will most certainly not take up more than one hour out of your time.​
    There are of course some things you should know before signing up.​
    So this is how things work. You and I sit down and record ourselves playing Zombie Fortress. Once one of us has lost you run the video files through virtualdub in order to compress them. Virtualdub is free and is very easy to use. I will help you how to get it working if you are having problems.​
    Secondly you upload the files to dropbox and give me the link so that I can download the video files.​
    I edit everything together an upload the thing. To clarifiy things, you only need to record video footage, no sound is required. Also, finally. The rules you see in the video will most probably alter, they are still a bit rough around the edges. This whole idea is based upon being a gentleman, not abusing the rules, trying to find loopholes.​
    I know this might sound like a lot, and I am not expecting to get anyone that wants to do this with me. But it would be fun to be proven wrong.​
    With that said!​
    Criticism and participation. Give it to me.​

Cheesemaster66 and Catguy19 like this.
  2. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

I shall happily volunteer my fine self. Need to sort out some recording though..

Although I dislike the rule that disallows me being an archer. :>:(:
    Other criticisms are fairly few. Maybe to solve the screen problem, you make them both the same size, then overlap the corner of the second player with your screen. That way, both would be seen as easily as the other.

3. Kyzak

Kyzak Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

No explicit promises, but I'm very interested in participating. I'll look into setting up some recording software soon.

The height limit on building is a little superfluous, in my opinion; if you're actually trying to survive, you won't have a constant flow of migrant resources to build defenses with, which means using daylight to mine. The difficulty slopes very, very quickly with the quarters rule, so it'd come down to having too much-instead of too little-- to do very quickly. A better pace for this kind of challenge, I think. Notches, pits, archers, et cetera are all fine where they are, though.

Pro Z-Knight juggling, by the way.

inactive_account likes this.
  4. I would happily participate if no one else could, I would just need some good recording software, I have no idea what to use because fraps puts my frames per second down to about 2, so I would have to look for something that does not take such a good computer. (if anything like this exists)

Also, in the video I often found myself looking at Mark's screen just because it was easier to see, I have no idea how you could fix this though.

Overall an awesome video, I hope you can make some more.

5. Riletyface

Riletyface Horde Gibber

Your YouTube channel is awesome! I like your accent as well. :D