1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Visibility Changes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DarkDobe, Jun 22, 2011.

1. DarkDobe

DarkDobe Guest

I would love to see a more 'hardcore' mode of gameplay in regards to the visibility of enemies and their structures.

Two main approaches would be to:
    A) Not show enemies unless a character has line of sight to them
    B) Not show tunnels/buildings unless they have been explored by a character on your team - and in that case do not update the minimap until changes are 'witnessed'

The latter, especially, would go a long ways towards making things more interesting so far as secret tunnels and mines are concerned - especially so it would make sneak attacks more viable, allowing for moments of great surprise when enemies burst from under your castle - or your random tunnel collides with that of an enemy miner. I'm sure you can picture the implications! Even the little details like being able to -hear- the miners underground before seeing them could add a great amount of tension. Or the sound of bombs going off somewhere under your base. Could be fun!

At the least an option for this sort of 'realistic' map updating would be greatly appreciated.

2. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Ofc, but as its own gamemode :)

3. R. J.

R. J. Guest

There was a realistic game mode in Soldat- which was really fun.
    Some sort of fog of war+ damage from falling+ maybe increased damage by all weapons (as it happened in Soldat once again) could be added if realistic game mode is chosen when the game is created.

Really hope that one day it would be realised:)

4. DorkeyDear

DorkeyDear Shipwright

F12. I would love to not see caves and have it be more of a mystery + something similar to realistic mode from Soldat <3

5. bilbs

bilbs Guest

Fog of war is in the rule config files.
    It can't be enabled yet, but it's in the works.

6. ArtCrusader

ArtCrusader Guest

Sounds awesome! :)

7. DarkDobe

DarkDobe Guest

Yea was pretty much thinking along the lines of Soldat - Fog of war for the terrain, line of sight for the enemies.
    There have been many times where I have managed to dig my way under the map and almost into the enemy vault before being spotted - though of course, not knowing where the vault IS would also make attacking by tunnel that much more interesting!

8. bilbs

bilbs Guest

I would love to not be able to see the guys trying to tunnel under me.
    It would suck when all of the sudden a knight surfaces behind your walls, but the effort he put in combined with the panic you'll feel makes it all work it.

9. DarkDobe

DarkDobe Guest

It would open up a new and viable strategy for assault - keeping in mind that a tunnel which fails almost always ends up being overtaken by the enemies, lending them a free route into your own base!

If the sound of miners/bombs going off below the earth could be heard by enemies, all the better. Build up that tension as you hear picks clanking away... but you have no idea where they are... just that they're somewhere nearby! Do you dig and try intercept them? Or start reinforcing critical areas? It could be one lone miner as a distraction from the attack above ground, for all you know.

Also going hand in hand with this and the new plans for physics based construction - if the Builder class got some sort of deployable TNT block - say with the new gold and armory system, buy gunpowder, make it into TNT for the builder - I can picture sappers coming into play as they might have with real castles. Dig underneath the enemy stronghold, detonate the wall support, watch it collapse... oh my yes. Yes please.

Of course this would rely on a more complex physics system - as it stands now, the entire structure acts as one giant block, whereas proper sapping and demolition would have to split the buildings up into independently supported sections. More realistic, but also more complex for the physics simulation - though I don't imagine it would be -overly- difficult to rig up. Red King Arthur's Faction.

10. DarkDobe

DarkDobe Guest

To add to this - and turn it even more insane (and minecraft/terraria-ish)...
    Add pockets of lava deep underground, for hapless miners to blunder into.
    Oh but that would be hilarious and cruel - their horrible screams as tunnels collapse and flood with burning death...
    Alternatively, if you do find a pool of magma, dig underneath it and rig the thing to cave in if certain blocks - like, say, the one blocking the path - are destroyed? That's getting too complex, methinks. Environmental traps would be fun...

I'll be happy with fog of war/LOS rules for visibility.

11. R. J.

R. J. Guest

Wow, have never thought of magma- but it really sounds great :)