1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Visual tweak to max-power archer shots

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by 8x, Sep 13, 2017.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

There's this thingy that actually always bothered me from the KAG Release (the version you can find in Steam) in comparision to classic: even when you shoot an arrow at maximun power, the arrow flying doesn't transmit as much velocity and power, visually, as the ones in alpha do (or did).
    This is because, to my eyes, at alpha the sprite gets "stretched" when at max-vel, which means it looks longer visually, and in KAG Release that doesn't happen, and the arrow flying line appears to be liked stepped.

My suggestion is make arrows stretch above certain speeds to gain that visual force it lacks. (Note that I haven't compared the actual velocity of max-speed shots of both versions, perhaps in Classic it's higher.)
    In terms of animation, it would be covering more spacing between frames (or in this case steps of the shot flight) for it to be more natural and understandable, like the following example:[​IMG]
    you can't see air spaces between each frame, and the last exaggerates the collision

Here some ingameimages to visualize this better, comparing both versions:

alpha
    shot below max speed - firefox_2017-09-13_12-32-38.png
    shot at max speed (also notice the motion blur effect)-
    firefox_2017-09-13_12-30-00.png

Release
    Shot at any speed
    firefox_2017-09-13_12-47-35.png
    Some gifs
    The velocity of the gifs is 0.25x of the actual video footage.
    alpha The archer in the trees at the left side, blue, shots at max power and the arrow leaves stretched
    arrow_alpha.gif

Release
    Not even the triple shot makes this effect, making the arrow flight look too stepped and unnatural
    arrow_release2.gif
    arrow_release.gif
    Perhaps it's also that in Release, the arrow sprite doesn't loead each frame, but each 2 frames

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  2. GoldenGuy

GoldenGuy Haxor Tester

just make mod, itls like 2 lines of code

3. Vermilicious

Vermilicious Ballista Bolt Thrower

A visualization of an arrows power, sure, why not. I'm not sure I like the stretched arrow look though. What about a small spark at the tip or something like that? Maybe it can twirl (like a bullet)? Maybe some air disturbance effect?

epsilon likes this.
  4. GoldenGuy

GoldenGuy Haxor Tester

maybe a trail behind the arrow?

5. franek123

franek123 The architect of the royal castle. Donator Tester

Trail or spark won't add power to animation and the point is to make full shot seem more powerfull than others.

6. Coroz

Coroz B R B Donator Tester Official Server Admin
    1. [AG#] - Ancient Gear

This actualy gives me a idee, to add grapple to a arrow so you can fly of as a archer.

enderzilla747, Magmus and epsilon like this.
  7. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Yeah what I thought was for the game itself, not for a modded server. If I could simply use a mod clientside that'd be okay, but I can't play on official servers with that slight modifications (it's not doable simply by modificating sprites). Was waiting for an answer from Geti, but I guess they left this part of alpha aside for some reasons, perhaps regarding performance. @Fuzzle has any go on this?

8. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

Some motion blur would maybe work.
    It's possible to stretch with `CSprite.ScaleBy`.
    I don't think stretching it would look good.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  9. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

Not necessarily motion blur. A short opaque trail could even work, but it would require quite some work to look good.

Mods: Rainbows