1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

We should make a Designated Mod-Tester Team

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShamWow-SuperRag, May 2, 2015.

1. ShamWow-SuperRag

ShamWow-SuperRag zamn Donator Tester

About: I've been looking at the suggested ideas, and I wondered if we could actually do something about that. I was reading a thread complaining about the lack of things added, and Geti (I think) made a comment along the lines of, "Maybe you guys should test these things." (If this is wrong please dont kill me).

So, why dont WE make a modded server specifically for testing things suggested by players? We could report our findings, performance and everything like that to the devs. Maybe this is wishful thinking, but it would be amazing if this actually happened.

But I need your help. I have no experience with code and I've never modded anything. I don't even know how to make a server. Guys, if this happens, this can take a step in the right direction for KAG's future.

What's your opinion?

List of Potential Modders:

SchnitzelKiller

Toffie0

PeggleFrank

List of Potential Servers to Test On:

Wormy's server

PeggleFrank's Server

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  2. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

[​IMG]

Thy first task shalt be logging onto BC Flatmaps and testing the viability of moving through thy own trap blocks.

butterscotch and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  3. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Base Burner

Interesting idea.

Mods are typically tested by the author and the author only, but this game is pretty weird in that it's almost exclusively multiplayer. Experiments on the larger servers would be feasible, but they'd have to be small; if we randomly change everything on the main servers, some players will have to resort to other servers (like the official servers) in order to play actual vanilla KAG if they get fed up with the mods on the other servers. However, small things, like allowing you to move through trap blocks on your own team, are definitely possible and I would love to see those types of things tested more often. Lots of small improvements are probably the way to go with this, because if we try to introduce large changes, we'll probably have put them on alternate mod-heavy servers filled to the brim with overhauls, experimental changes, etc. We can fit small improvements (like moving through trapdoors) on the main servers as long as they're not highly controversial.

Also, a place where these sorts of changes are documented would be nice. As far as I know, there's currently no way to know what the differences between Black Death and BC Flatmaps are. The prices are different, and BC is going to have some more new mechanics soon, but those changes aren't really mentioned anywhere.

EDIT: New maps could probably just be put on the main servers without testing them first. That sounds pretty awful, now that I think about it, but as long as people vote to skip broken maps it won't hurt if a map is uploaded and it turns out to be terrible.

AmestriStephen likes this.
  4. toffie0

toffie0 is sweeter than you <3 Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

For testing would also be best to do multiple tests on different player count etc. just to see what works best, then you could also be able to tell if you should have a small player account and a large one. also having people from all of the world would also help since lag etc.

Overall, sounds like a great idea!

PeggleFrank likes this.
  5. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

+1, definitely bug the folks on IRC with capability to host about this sort of stuff. I know @Rayne and @Skinney have been interested in testing mods out, the latter in particular, not sure how much hardware they have access to at the moment though.

6. ShamWow-SuperRag

Dunno how I feel about testing on large servers like Black Death. If we get enough people wanting to test here we could just make our own server if its possible. Glad you support it, Geti!

7. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

See also the rebalance mod

It's kind of in stasis atm but if you want to get the posting started back up go for it!

8. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

I like the idea of a shared, persistent server where developers can petition to have their mods tested, for temporary time intervals (so the server wouldn't become filled with miscellaneous mods over time). There'd maybe be a form or something you'd submit including a list of modified files, so that the management can avoid file collisions in overlapping time slots for different mods.
    People could gather and chat, maybe exchange ideas at the same time as fiddling with their mods.
    "I say, is that an antigravity dildo you're holding?"
    "Why yes it is. Congratulations on that shark chicken, by the way."
    "By jove, that's it! A shark dildo is what I've been after all along!"
    And innovation would commence.

I'd say it would be open to the public, with a couple of reserved slots for registered developers.

9. ShamWow-SuperRag

Guys, I need a list of people who can actually code, mod, and want to make this idea a reality. Just say "I am willing" if you are.

Does anyone know how to make server? That info will be really beneficial.

Looks like we're gonna meet on Saturdays if that fine with you guys. But I need a time that is suitable for all of you. Please state the timezone if you are suggesting a certain time!

If you guys are confused about the list of modders or the time of the next meet, just look at the first post of the thread. I will constantly be updating that!

10. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Re: making a server - https://wiki.kag2d.com/wiki/Server is a bit out of date but should work. If you've followed that and still cant get it working, just ask for help in IRC or the forums.

Can't help with the rest, but consider that Saturday in the US is Sunday in australia, so even dates aren't really safe to rattle off without a rough location haha.

11. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

I am willing and able to put mods on the table.

12. toffie0

toffie0 is sweeter than you <3 Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

Im willing, i can halfly code but im not good at it, and dont trust myself with mods atm.

I also can texture pack if needed, and just generally test on servers

butterscotch likes this.
  13. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

I have a 12-slot server that noone plays on, you can use it, but tell me what to do :P

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  14. AmestriStephen

AmestriStephen Haxor Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

I've seen a lot of cool mods never implemented on servers. A cool thing i like is that @wormy is hosting his server with some cool mods like the gravestone one(made by @Diprog ) and the dash one!
    So yea, server owners should do things like this a little more! All I see is a group of really monotone servers without mods or things like that!
    Using their own mod will push the modders to create new ones and better ones!

15. Chrispin

Chrispin KAG Guard Tester

The problem is nobody is ever willing to host most of these mods for the long term for some reason. The only exceptions seem to be KAG roleplay and Shiprekt (for some reason there are some really outdated Shiprekt servers that I honestly wish would stop hosting). Wormy is putting in the good effort to host alot of good old mods though. @wormy hit me up if there's any mods that still need fixing!!!!!!

16. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

There's this: https://forum.kag2d.com/resources/fun-mod.304/ But i don't know who could host it, because 3 servers is enough for me. Maybe @daskew87 or @Leo if you would fix it?

17. AmestriStephen

AmestriStephen Haxor Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

18. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Base Burner

I used to host servers some time ago. I still have a folder with about ~62 unused Minecraft servers from a few years ago, and about 54 of those were heavily modded.

I'm experimenting with a new setup for a dedicated server and I don't yet know how KAG servers work, but I could try and host some modded servers in the future for this sort of thing.

19. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

a 24/7 server would be nicer tho. you know, hosted in a place in europe where most players will have nice ping.

20. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Base Burner

That may be an issue.