1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Weather Feature!

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Duke_Jordan, Aug 22, 2013.

?

Would you like Weather?

1. Yay!

76 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. Nay!

19 vote(s)
    20.0%
Mods: Rainbows
  1. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

Ultra-hard zombie survival anyone?

Ninja12 likes this.
  2. SamuraiCupcake

SamuraiCupcake Builder Stabber

As a cosmetic effect I endorse this 100%. Seeing one game switch from one season to another between matches would be great and add variety without jeopardizing gameplay balance.

However different weather and seasons could each bring small gameplay changes. Spring would make trees grow faster, summer would... I dunno, fall could have fallen leaves for archers to hide in and winter could make water freeze, making fragile breakable ice blocks that reform. Little touches that affect both teams equally, therefore its balanced, and doesn't disrupt gameplay flow.

As for wind, it does seem like its intended right? Is just me or does the viking ship have SAILS?!? Sure it would be random, but it would be only a small factor, affecting only the viking ship. Wind go left, right or neutral, deal with it. Maybe I'll make some more viking ships if the wind is in our favor?

And rain and storms would also be awesome. It would be on and off, and would make wood safer for a little while. Storms could make it a bit darker, and lightning could hit trees, lighting them on fire!

3. Ninja12

Ninja12 Haxor

I love this idea, I was thinking about it while I was sleeping, and the op got everything right (except for hail, sandstorms, and tornadoes). I think another cool thing would be, when it rains, lightning comes out, and it can strike players, setting them on fire for 2 seconds.

Different classes have different chances of being struck.
    Knight: 40%, his armor is metal.
    Knight with shield up: 50%, even more metal.
    Archer: 20%
    Archer with grappling hook: 30%
    Builder: 25%

4. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

Well people seem to love my winter Texture Pack and I am planning to have a mod added to it to add snow effects in the sky. Plus I plan to add and spring and fall version of the Texture Pack.

Almost seems like step by step it is becoming more possible to have this at least as a mod! :smug:

5. JerseyMilker

JerseyMilker Catapult Fodder

As a cosmetic effect, I think weather would be sweet also. I think that the current night cycle effects make gameplay annoying to some people because it's too dark to see what's going on in battle sometimes. I created another thread about this here https://forum.kag2d.com/threads/twilight-night-cycle.17117/ ...anyway, I'd love to see more beautiful atmospheric effects like sunrises, sunsets, rain, snow, lightning storms, etc. I think that cosmetic attention to detail is part of what already makes this game so charming, but I would love to see more variation like this in the level background :)

6. Taiga

Taiga Based God Donator

A very nice concept, it'll just take a lot of convincing. I'd advise trying it in a mod first just to see how it pans out. Good luck!

7. SeanAS

SeanAS Meth Addict Donator
    1. Zen - [Zen] - (Invite Only)

its gay as fuck

//warned for flaming by Contrary

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2013
    PUNK123 likes this.
  8. Taiga

Taiga Based God Donator

Insulting other's ideas isn't the best image you'd want to go for, they've worked hard to develop these ideas and concepts. Please refrain from me having to tell you this more than once.Thank you.

9. SeanAS

SeanAS Meth Addict Donator
    1. Zen - [Zen] - (Invite Only)

Oh god help the devs.

10. Taiga

Taiga Based God Donator

Enjoy your day. Hope there's not bad 'weather' in it..lol

11. Alokaniir

Alokaniir Bison Rider

Yo there should be fire tornados man

12. hierbo

hierbo Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Not until after there's sharknados!!!

Aeroblitzer and Taiga like this.
  13. WeirdEarb

WeirdEarb Catapult Fodder

I dont want to see the weather changing stats. It is a fun game, it should implement fun:

Weather Suggestion
    A message is warning about "THE BLIZZARD FROM ABOVE"

Background changes to white-> and a heap of snow of 5 tiles y-axis falls over the whole map in 3 seconds (just dropping white blocks from the sky) and burring everything.

People outside will only get 0.5 hearth damage.

The map has changed after it! (Everything is 5 tiles higher - maybe drob the 5 tiles random, for example on 50 pixels 3 tiles and on the next 5 tiles etc...)

People are burried - and have to dig themselfs out

Traps would be neutralized- maybe bridges on buildings are coming up.

Duke_Jordan and Aeroblitzer like this.
  14. hierbo

hierbo Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

The weather ideas do sound like they'd make the game seem pretty cool and 'alive', but do bear in mind that each feature that is implemented puts additional load on the computers running an processing it, as well as often increasing the amount of network data that needs to be transmitted and received. Some ideas, particularly the one about the snow falling, would result in a large number of additional moving and collidable objects that must all be calculated and sent to the clients. I suspect this will be very cumbersome on the server side, especially.

Damn computers and their damn limitations, I know.

Rocinante likes this.
  15. SamuraiCupcake

SamuraiCupcake Builder Stabber

I think we need a sudden-death style shark rain. :eek:

16. H3llO

H3llO Shopkeep Stealer

[​IMG]
    like this?
    i'd suggest a "Fingerbox" for better entertaining experience and long time motivation

17. WeirdEarb

I think the Edge of Space makers (Terraria) have the copyrights on lasersharks :P

18. RogueCupcake

RogueCupcake Haxor Official Server Admin

I am strongly against this. I don't have the best computer and I lag a little just playing KAG with out more things added. Mods about this I would love though just the occasional game with weather but not added 100% into the game.

19. WeirdEarb

Of course not, only game modus or something, variation is nice.

And i dont think that a 1 time itemfall would be really the big problem. That was the reason of my suggestion.

Not constant brickfall, just 1 time with a "swoosh"

20. RogueCupcake

RogueCupcake Haxor Official Server Admin

Oh ok. I don't know about it still. It would make the game really interesting.

Mods: Rainbows