1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Devlog Weekly Log - TR Art, KAG Editor and Modding

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Original: http://www.thd.vg/post/129540419180/weekly-log-tr-art-kag-editor-and-modding

Last week was a quiet one for progress we can share, but I’ll go over the details of what is shareable. Apologies for the post coming after the weekend again!

Trench Run News:

We’ve committed to the new art style. I’ll spend the next few weeks to a month getting the new graphics in-game, and refining any issues with them. It’s important to understand that this is not just a simple palette swap. The new art both expands the colours available and involves a lot of tile and sprite rework. We’re focusing on improving readability; as an example we’re having team colours on the characters - something that was impossible with the 8 colour art.

[​IMG]
    Team colours help immediately tell friend from foe!

On the gameplay side of things we’re making a few small changes to improve the reliability of game times. Endless stalemates from balanced teams are an issue in KAG; that’s something we’d like to avoid in TR. MM will spend this week swapping the Run mode over to a “Best-of” format. He’ll use the testing group to ensure this works out as intended. This change should shorten wait times and ease player fatigue.

KAG News:

Skinney has got some work done on the editor, “Cartographer”. He’s mocking up a few possible interfaces at the moment. It is not only a tool for creating maps, but also a moderator tool to help admins combat griefers and hackers. Cartographer should also help with building and testing clever mechanism layouts.

Verra has got some optimisation work under way, addressing how KAG interfaces with Angelscript. He has also fixed the “endless downloading” bug that prevented joining some modded servers. This turned out to be two separate bugs on different operating systems. On Linux, the bug was a file permissions issue. On Windows, it was misuse of a system function. Both issues caused the same symptom in different ways, and Verra managed to fix both. This should make the experience joining modded servers more enjoyable, to say the least!

Stay tuned for more!
    Max

2. Sytoplasma

Sytoplasma Haxor

Awesome work! I can't decide if green and yellow team colors seem a little too close at first glance, so I just thought I'd throw it out there. Please keep up the good work! I'm looking forward to playing this game!

3. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

They are indeed close, but are actually only present in Skirmish. Run (the main team mode) has only red (wine) and yellow (beer) teams.

Sytoplasma likes this.
  4. RadioActive

RadioActive Guest

The biggest problem with griefers now are kegs. If they lit a keg in their own base, between the workshop tower and the flagroom, there's not much we (admins) can do.
    If ya want to help, give us an option to freeze kegs or something.
    Editor definitely will help with tree seeds griefing and building mechanisms.

Btw. I know, again - wrong place to post about it but... Since very long time there's a bug (probably not even reported) where game changes your head back to default. It always happens when you change the servers often or sometimes when you
    start the game and join the first one. It's very irritating, any chance that you could look into it?
    Anyway I hope everything will be good as it sounds!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2015
    norill, bru-jaz, _Cuffs_ and 3 others like this.
  5. _Cuffs_

_Cuffs_ Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

I'm lovin' the look of that yellow team. Great job on the sprites as usual.

6. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

Will the red wine team be characterized as over zealous French snobs that look down on all other alcoholic drinks?

While the yellow beer team is a bunch of wiener loving Germans who have militaristic tendencies to blow things up and an aversion to red because it reminds them of fascist times?

Can blue be a team centered around cocktail enthusiasts who can only handle alcohol mixed, shaken, or stirred with other ingredients and have an aversion to the barbaric red wines and yellow beers?

While green team can be centered around absinthe related drinks and be almost mystically hipster? With beards, skinny jeans, and tattoos aplenty? Will they be the all encompassing team of liking everything in it's own phase from one moment to the next?

7. Snake19

Snake19 RIP Staff Alumni Donator
    1. [AG#] - Ancient Gear

when will you do an update of the demo version? Geti ? :)

EhRa likes this.
  8. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

Yes an update for the demo would be great!

9. Geti

At the moment we dont plan to update the demo before some sort of prerelease version is out. We're not going to do the "constant, rolling builds" approach that we did with early KAG if we can help it, as we actually don't want constant, per build feedback from everyone - it's like a mosquito in our ear and a huge time sink :)

We'll get a new playable version out as soon as the new art is done and the online stuff is finalised, as we'll need to stress test the backend, etc, but we dont want to have to maintain more public versions as that will slow the development down a lot!

I understand this is frustrating for non-testers but we hope you'll be patient. If you want to play a new build of the game you can head to pixel heaven in warsaw this weekend and play with MM ;)

@Fellere825 - perhaps :) We're aiming to write specific characters for both wine and beer team; the extra colours are just a skirmish thing, but we definitely need more exposition on the setting and the like.

10. Geti

This is exactly the kind of stuff that could be easily enough added to the moderator tools as part of the editor (the keg could also just be outright deleted and the owner of it frozen and teleported above the tent or something) - either way, @Skinney is the one to talk to about this stuff :)

Solaris, heX_ and RadioActive like this.
  11. Fellere825

"more exposition..."

It is the Draft Wars of the '90s. Various theocratic nations hire military contractors to vilify their own alcoholic theological doctrine in a crusade to see which alcoholic beverage will reign supreme. The two major powers in the conflict, the Red Wine Nation and the Yellow Beer Nation, engage in various raids on each other's alcoholic resources. The Beer Nation members are known for their boisterous and laissez-faire approach to life but utmost serious reverence in regards to all things beer. However after The Red Wine Nation raided their distilleries The Yellow Beer Nation fought back with a zealous vengeance. Their colorful language of their most zealous soldiers has led them to berate the mercenaries fighting for the Red Wine Nation by calling them the Red Whiners. The Red Wine Nation are seen as deeply zealous in their beliefs on the one true alcoholic drink, Red Wine. As a soldier for hire you will fight for both sides, fighting not for nation or alcoholic theological beliefs, but for cold hard cash. It is a tumultuous time you will join other soldiers for hire where you will party with them one moment while fighting with them the next. When war is fought over booze nothing is constant.

_Cuffs_, trainchaser, Geti and 4 others like this.
  12. Geti

We might use this idea of nations (Likely Red Wine and Gold Beer, the latter something bogans from queensland will understand more than some) and produce some spoofy propaganda for the nations to use for promo and in-game decor too :)

Sidenote: I know a few guys who are an unironic mimicry of your Beer Nation description.

13. Fellere825

It took me a couple of minutes to come up with some good alcohol puns. Draft war took about three or so.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  14. MM

MM THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

"When war is fought over booze nothing is constant." :D
    Fellere825: good stuff! We might use this.

_Cuffs_, Noburu, Fellere825 and 3 others like this.
  15. Fellere825

Needs more alcohol puns. Also instead of game tips it'd be cool to have random alcohol facts and tidbits. Like vodka is made from rye or potatoes. Or something like the smaller you are the faster you are to get drunk. Or ingesting alcohol on an empty stomach is a quick way to get intoxicated. Etc.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015