1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

What Are You Working On?

Discussion in 'Modding [KAG]' started by LostPix, May 9, 2013.

1. ZeroZ30o

ZeroZ30o Haxor

I was adding a jumping bomb for all classes :O.

2. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

Im thinking of making a terraria/adventure kind of mode.

The only thing is i need an experienced codder etc to help me (ill be spriting) Start a convo with me if you want to join.

3. Skinney

Skinney THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator Tester

Saw a thread regarding custom heads and it sparked my interest, so I came up with a quick mod that makes it easy for server owners to add and manage custom heads. Players can also submit their own heads which will get added to the main mod.

[​IMG]
    Get head with Blowjob, a community head mod.​

AgentHightower, Rayne, 16th and 3 others like this.
  4. lolkat23

lolkat23 Builder Stabber

Sounds great loved super smash knights cant wait!

5. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

snow.gif

texture pack by crabmaster, been working on creating particle weather, but it's proving to be challenging due to some technical limitations, more on that later.

Guitarman, TheWids, VanHuek and 3 others like this.
  6. Aphelion

Aphelion Wunderkind Donator
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I've tried the same and I don't think it's possible within scripting limitations.

Rayne likes this.
  7. Rayne

yeah i've come to this conclusion now, will nag geti for workarounds/fixes

also have some ideas too, will share with you if they work.

Aphelion likes this.
  8. Boea

Boea Such Beta

You have the power of the random number generator, don't you?

9. Rayne

do you see how the particles bounce in that video? no solution to that right now.
    + you cant control ParticlePixel very well, + MakeAnimatedParticle is stupid in regards to gravity control and functionality.

random number generation isnt the problem.

oh and for the last kicker, PARTICLES DONT SPAWN OFF SCREEN, so ill need to get the top of the player's screen and check if they're underground or inside a large building(this is the hard part) before even doing anything.

the only solution i see working easily is adding an animated foreground layer upon map load, but that would be dumb because then it'd rain inside buildings and underground.

10. zerd

zerd Arsonist
    1. SIEGE Clan - SIEGE

Not sure if this is viable performance-wise, but just wanted to share my thoughts on your weather-system problem.

1. Make a custom script to generate a file for each of your maps, that you can then read from when the map is loading. This file could simply contain a list of indexes, each corresponding to a tile on the map, and indicating that this tile on map load, should show the snow animation. (I can elaborate on generating these files, but basically it would just be doing some simple "ray-casting" from the edges of the map)

2. Make an extra layer on top of all tiles on map load with your snow animation, and set them all to not be visible.

3. While still loading the map, read the corresponding, genererated file for that map, and assign the snow layer of all the given tiles to be visible.

4. Each time a block changes state (solid/non-solid), recursivly run through the tiles beneath it, in a pattern based off the angle that your snow is falling. Keep this loop going untill the next tile is solid, and flip the visibility state of the snow layer for each of the non-solid tiles. (Sounds scary at first, but it might not be too taxing, given it is only performed on the client)

Not sure if you need to do some custom code to avoid drawing tiles that are not currently on the screen, but i'm sure that you know much more about how kag handles that.

EDIT: Actually, to decrease lag spikes, and to improve the snow effect:
    Instead of doing a recursive loop untill you find a solid tile. Do each step after a certain amount of time has passed, to mimic the slow falling effect of snow. This might cause more problems, or require a bit more logic than simply flipping its visibility state though.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    Rayne likes this.
  11. Rayne

could work on lower player count servers(performance wise), but the purpose of me using particles was so it could work well with all player counts, namely 20+ player rp servers

dont know how viable your raycast files would be, but i do know bombs do 30 raycasts for one explosion

if you'd like to try it out, i can send you my current weather scripts in a pm.

i'd rather stick to nagging the devs on how to use the particle system/nagging them to pls fix,
    since i have other things to work on.

12. zerd

zerd Arsonist
    1. SIEGE Clan - SIEGE

Busy with other projects atm, but might try to to implement a system similar to the one i suggested. I think i might need to clarify what i mean with some simple "ray-casting" though:

Imagine your snow was constantly falling at 45 degrees to the right, instead of calling fancy physics functions, just do a test to see if the tile that one tile below, and one tile to right (1,-1)(x,y) is solid. If not, then continue to the next tile.
    (Or rather, if not solid, then add it to a list of tiles that has to be updated after X physics steps has passed, to add the snow falling delay as you break/place blocks)

And you don't really need to use the files as i suggested, they were not meant to be used at runtime. Only to make map loading faster, since the initial calculations would be the same each time you load a specific map.(Unless you generate tiles that are not in the .png file for the map)

Hopefully that makes more sense, just let me know if i need elaborate.

13. bugs make best features

boomerang jump. a ghetto bomb jump

Guitarman, Sinleet, BanakaI1 and 3 others like this.
  14. Aphelion

1. Aphelion's Roleplay

The Hand cannon, a weapon for the Archer.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
    zerd, Gurin, EhRa and 1 other person like this.
  15. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

DAT IS AMAZING im gonna star playing Beta again.

16. Boea

Boea Such Beta

There goes balance.

17. Aphelion

1. Aphelion's Roleplay

It won't be that easy to obtain. The current cost is 3 Steel bars and 1 Iron bar, 1 Iron bar will get you 5 cannonballs.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  18. Boea

Boea Such Beta

That really sounds like an inconsequential cost.

19. Aphelion

1. Aphelion's Roleplay

It was originally meant to be Dungeon loot, but now that it's smithable they're not meant to be rare. They're definitely not as powerful as you think.

20. Boea

Boea Such Beta

I'm getting extremely tired of extra methods to melt bases.

Rayne likes this.