1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

What 'Coding' program to use?

Discussion in 'Modding Help' started by Draco1991, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Draco1991

Draco1991 Haxor

Basically the heading says, what 'coding' program do I use to modify Kag Beta? Also if you could send me a link to download that program that'd be much appreciated!!!

JPD likes this.
  2. jackitch

jackitch :(){ :|: & };: Global Moderator Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

3. Draco1991

Draco1991 Haxor

@jackitch , what one would you recommend? I am new to coding so I don't know the best one. :3

4. Aphelion

Aphelion Wunderkind Donator
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Angel Script is just a scripting language, so I recommend Notepad++

5. Draco1991

Draco1991 Haxor

ok :) Thanks Aphelion

6. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

Sublime is the best program ever, use it!
    Notepad++ started to look awful after starting using Sublime.

FuzzyBlueBaron and norill like this.
  7. Draco1991

Draco1991 Haxor

Thanks for the advice :)

8. i used notepad++ for everything i did so far. now i will try Visual Studio. it's pain in the ass to set up, but it offers code completion and some other cool stuff. sublime text looks good, but i never seriously used it.

also disregard mazey, he cant into code

RadioActive likes this.
  9. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Visual Studio isn't much use for KAG Modding without access to the engine source for proper intellisense completion.

Sublime Text has file- and project-local completion and generally kicks 30 asses for any scripting task, comes highly recommended. Other awesome features include proper multiple-selections, full scripting support, extensive plugin support and active plugin development community, hardware accelerated rendering (good for really gigantic files), good project and workspace support (think remembered tabs and cursor placement for each mod you're working on), sexy as hell default themes, and a free nagware-only trial.

It's not particularly expensive if you decide you want to buy it either.

Simply use C++ highlighting for your .as files and you'll be well on your way.

10. i hacked together some python scripts to generate a header from files from Manual\interface\ and use is as forced include to all AS files. it only completes function names, not argument lists, but better than nothing.

11. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Yuck, haha. That works out of the box in sublime without all the additional overheads of VS.

I use VS for the engine development, but sublime for script dev. Each to their own though, I know MM prefers VS for everything.

Draco1991 and norill like this.
  12. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I was using Textpad until I actually checked the website for Sublime after reading this... jesus fucking christ, this kicks ass.

Draco1991 and Mazey like this.
  13. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

Pls, don't lie ;-;

Wanted to say you should use C++ highlighting instead of the default ActionScript, but Geti already said that.

14. Geti

B^)

Glad you like it BL, always nice to have converts to the master race.

Xanoxis-Rawr, Guitarman and Asu like this.
  15. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I dont/cant code but you are pleb master race if you use plain notepad for anything...

16. LucasTT

LucasTT Haxor Tester

Yep,sublime text ftw

17. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

*tries sublime test*
    *uninstalls notepad++*

18. im switching to sublime text too.

i made syntax highlighting definitions for .cfg files. it even highlights some syntax errors like missing semicolons

place it in Sublime Text\Data\Packages\KAG cfg\KAG cfg.tmLanguage (theres a shortcut to this folder under Preferences | Browse Packages...). next time you open a .cfg it should automatically apply highlighting, if not choose it from View | Syntax | KAG config file

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  19. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Thread moved.

20. Geti

Note that you can also click the "file type" description in the bottom right corner, the one that says "plain text' in this screenshot: http://grab.by/uLC0 rather than fishing through menus :)

BlueLuigi and norill like this.