1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

What happened to farming and animals?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Sir_Edward, Jul 29, 2013.

?

Do you think there should be farming/animal sheperding in kag beta?

1. yes

77.3%
  2. no

22.7%
Mods: Rainbows
  1. Tsilliev

Tsilliev Haxor

Planting wheat seeds, using wheat for bread and feeding the chickens, with chickens, eggs are automatically spawned in the food factory that spawns bread/hamburger.

There are also pumpkin seeds, carrot seeds, where pumpkin gives +1 hearth or 1/2 hearth from your maximum health, so knight can have 5 hearts or 4.5 hearts for ex. and carrot increases your vision in the night they,they also heal.

The more crops/animals the faster spawn rate in the food factory.

All seeds,vegetables and animals could be bought and also sold to the trader or could be spawned from the nursery.

I saw a comment that its boring to plant, get the item to the building and then get food, so we can skip step 2, plant seeds and the current vegetable will be able to be produced from the food factory when the crop is fully grown, after some time, the crop dies, and leaves seeds, those seeds like the tree seeds, must be picked and putted carefully next to each other on the ground or they will disappear like the tree seeds if they are on top of each other.

In my opinion the nursery was removed, because you could grow like 100 trees, around your base and underground and it starts to lag, there was this guy who did that, anyway to the point, there will be limit to how much seeds can be given from the nursery, even after building new nursery, if there are more than that number of crops/trees seeds will not be spawned. Or they can just be bought from the trader, where we are going to avoid spawning a lot of trees.

Short Version/ Summary

-Wheat Seeds
    Produce wheat to make
    -Bread (Req. wheat)
    -Hamburger (Req. wheat,meat, healing more)
    Use wheat to feed
    -Chickens
    Chickens produce
    -Meat needed for the chickburger
    -Eggs in the food factory, they spawn faster but heal less, like 1 egg per heart or something similar.

-Pumpkin Seeds
    Pumpkins are produced in the food factory, which heal but also increase maximum health with 1/2 hearts or 1 hearth or more depends on balance.

-Carrot Seeds
    Carrots are produced in the food factory, that increase your vision in the dark for a limited time or until you die.

-More crops/animals, faster spawn rate of that current food in the food factory.

Take the features that you like, that's why we are here, suggesting features that we would like to have in game.

2. Sir_Edward

Sir_Edward Builder Stabber

That may be a bit complex. but o like the idea of the carrots, im sure alot of people would agree that even with a lantern the dark can be well... dark.

3. Tsilliev

Tsilliev Haxor

Take what you like and throw the rest, I dont mind :D There can be other food types that give bonuses.
    Right now the food only heals you, we may include some varieties.

4. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

If farming is ever going to be implemented, it should be something you construct once and leave an AI to take care of it, just like the factories. I don't think the purpose, at least in TTH, should be to produce food though.

Perhaps you could acquire new migrants by sacrificing a lot of land to farming business? :P Those home bases tend to have a lot of unused space and no one fighting in there.

5. Tsilliev

Tsilliev Haxor

Yeah, in 4 halls map, often the 1st hall is idle, and there can be migrants working on the fields.

Also, imagine a factory that produces animals, breeding factory, its easily implemented, just make this factory and after a certain time spawn this kind of animal, we kill it we get meat, simple as that. It can also spawn the chickens that spawn eggs as well, but you can kill them for meat as well.

Also imagine, making horse factory, where you can ride a horse, its exactly the same as a longboat but smaller and on land, only 1 person can ride it,maybe a second person can hop in just for the ride, the horse damages enemy players that are in front of the horse, they can always avoid it by jumping. Max horses spawned per factory at one time 1-3 for an ex. The horse can be easily killed from 5 bombs for an ex to avoid being op.

And what about workers factory, that spawn workers not migrants, that cut wood and store it at the storage, plant seeds and harvest. And they always have 1 tree seed and 3 wheat/other seeds to plant, after they plant it, they get the same seeds if they dont die after a certain amount of time or when they cut down a tree or harvest a crop, this way we can avoid extinct trees.

6. ztox

ztox Catapult Fodder

Firstly, as this is my first post. Gratz to the devs on this, a great game with massive potential.

Gutted that farming has gone, bought into this last week and while I think this game is amazing I personally think the beta seems a step backwards from the game I saw last night in the pre-beta videos on youtube. I hoped that it may have been like Arma 3 where the beta is essentially half of the game with the devs working on the rest behind closed doors but after reading around the forum I get the impression the beta IS the entire game in it's current state.

Seems really odd to me as the economy and game mechanics and the UI look WAY better in the old videos.

The game now seems to be missing that Age of Empires influence it's said to have, which would have been really unique. It seems much more a 2d hack 'n' slash now. A lot of people just charge forward endlessly. Would be really interesting having to produce food to generate respawns.

With the resource gathering etc, there are always people who want to do the stuff that seems boring to others. I'm not one of them, but they are out there...

Am I incorrect in assuming this? Is the beta just a taster or has the game been "simplified" with features removed etc? Or is there another, bigger mode that will be in the full game that include all this? I've read briefly about a War/Conquest mode...

Can someone enlighten me? Thanks.

7. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

Here is my logic on the subject of farming and why it was removed, the devs stated that farming wasn't fun enough and there was not enough people to do it each single time as it was tedious, so dev logic here was to remove said feature instead of making this feature fun in some way because it's easier to remove things rather than fix them.

8. Tsilliev

Tsilliev Haxor

I agree with ztox, right now where you have limited factories to make, no beds for migrants, no farming, what is left is only trees to cut, stone to mine, 5 factories to make and go and fight, right now it is more TDM oriented than it was before, more focus on fighting than building, growing economy/city.
    I understand that little people are using the wheat seeds because to plant wheat seeds to wait and then go to the kitchen only and only to make 1 bread is much of a hassle, but as you said, there is room for improvement, like remove the second step, where you cut the wheat plant and get the wheat to the kitchen to make bread, instead plant, and when the crop grows on its own, bread will automatically be produced in the factory, after some time, the crop dies and you need to replant again, right now, this can be easily made with the already existing food factory that we have,I dont mind getting 5 seeds, planting them for 10 sec and go on with the other stuff, when enemy comes and removes those crops, production stops, at least it is something.
    And it wont hurt to make breeding factory to spawn animals that will enable us to make better food that heals more or does other things, it will make the game more diverse in my opinion.
    But! All of this will be implemented in the modded server KARPS as I heard, they already have chicken sprites made up, along with horse, so we will see how it goes, they will host in 1 month as I heard, let's see what happens:)

9. sheek

sheek Horde Gibber

Yeah I was kinda looking forward to this also, but like MM said, after a while who the hell is gonna watch corn grow for 5 minutes and then cut it down and then watch it grow again. I was pretty anxious for this but I think in the end he made the right decision.
    </br>--- merged: Aug 11, 2013 at 5:24 PM ---</br>
    I totally agree. Players wouldn't want to waste their time doing this but migrants don't have anything else to do with their pathetic lives. Great idea i'm totally onboard.

10. Sir_Edward

I can totally see the logic in it, and it is quite efficient, and it is their right to remove/add features at their will, however i feel like they threw the baby out with the bathwater this time. this is a HUGE feature to just lop off since it does, even indirectly, effect the war effort. to be sure there was some tedium that required people to do an asinine amount of work, but refined, i feel this would bring much needed life into hall/war mode. even if this never ends up in either, it should be in zombie mode or free build like some others said.

The mechanic was flawed, but the idea was sound. wheat farming = team bonuses. team bonuses = win.

11. sheek

sheek Horde Gibber

The thing is that no one wants to do it because there really isn't much to it. Games can go on for an hour or more and there is no way that anyone would just want to sit around for that long and tend to crops. If the devs kept this as part of the game, people would feel obligated to farm so their team could actually do something, which leads to lots and lots of bitching which is the last thing the devs want to hear right now, as they are working their asses off.

12. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Stepping in to give an official comment on why we've stepped away from any manual farming in TTH mode:

It's not quite as simple as "farming isn't fun".

Farming is very fun the first time you do it. You plant a seed or ten, wait a bit, it grows up, you harvest, turn in some of the produce and plant the rest (or wait for another seed to produce) and then do it again. Feel's great. "I'm helping my team". "I'm living sustainably" lol. Its that illusion of labour gratifying feeling.

The issue is this: if this is a necessary part of the game, that means you have to do this process hundreds, thousands, maybe millions of times over the course of your KAG lifespan. Unlike slashing people, building fortifications, shooting arrows, smashing boats into things and blowing things up, planting seeds is quite dull. We found (and the testers found) that it quickly became a huge chore.

Now, consider the average player. Not the one guy minecrafting his magnificent castle, or the battle builder, or the pro knight with a five to one kdr, or the pro archer who takes your middle hall after stabbing your back and burning your towers.
    We're talking about the guys who get to the frontline, kills a guy almost by accident, then asks "how to throw bomb". We're talking about the builder that builds a 4 high wall with no backwall, or leaves empty factories around the base. We're talking about the archer that takes literally every special arrow in your base and then dies behind enemy lines trying to stab a knight's shield. We're talking about those that aren't really represented on the forums because they don't know the forums exist. These guys would need to take equal share of the farming burden, along with you guys that want it (apparently ~70% in this topic) and the guys that dont.
    Do you trust those guys to take up the farming burden? If they don't, then the above average players have to take up more of the slack.
    Personally, I don't want to feel obligated to farm for the majority of my team. I certainly don't want to be penalised for not taking up that burden.

We're considering some form of automatic farming/production setup as Monsteri has mentioned, and I'm sure farming will make its way into roleplay mods that people make where the game is at a slower pace anyway and you really need something to do other than blow things up and kill the enemy. However, we don't think it has a place at all (as manual farming) in TTH mode.

As a side note, I'd appreciate if the condescending "oh dev logic is clearly to REMOVE it rather than FIXING it because they're IDIOTS" style comments could cease. I'm sure from your point of view it looks like we have no idea what we're doing some times. Rest assured knowing that you look like idiots in our eyes sometimes too :^) The game has to be fun for everyone, not just those who are content to plant seeds for ten minutes of every hour they spend playing the game.

amgtree, Reudh, Mazey and 3 others like this.
  13. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

tl;dr farming isn't fun get over it haha.

14. Tsilliev

Tsilliev Haxor

Glad to hear that! :)

15. Sir_Edward

I appreciate that you took the time to look/reply to this thread, and of all people i have the utmost respect for the team and their efforts. If TTH is impossible, i think everyone can agree that implementing it elsewhere would be appreciated.

However, i do differ from monsteri's view in that i feel that there should at least be SOME player interaction possible. i think that an automatic system for AI is great, but i think that if players wanted to, they should be able to do so and give a small bonus to the team for doing so. once they get bored of it, they can go do something else with no consequences.

I will be changing the poll to see what everyone else thinks, now that it is clear that people want it back.

16. sheek

sheek Horde Gibber

I think that to most people it will get very old very quick, there are still quite a few people who would still enjoy it immensely. At the moment I feel like I wouldn't do much with it but as Beta progresses I would most likely get into it.

17. Krux

Krux Shipwright

I think that farming is only fun, if the game speed is much slower. If humans become a rare resource, defence structures become more effective against unarmed fighters and economy can produce much more effective tools for war. Then people start to farming, because it is without a danger. Free respawns prevent people from wasting their lives on lossy attacks.

18. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Cool, go ahead and host a very slow server with lots of waiting and economy and permadeath and loss to encourage farming.
    Our plan for KAG is not along those lines.
    We're happy if members of the community want to produce something like that, but we are not interested in making a slow game this time around.

19. PinXviiN

PinXviiN Haxor

Well, I still find farming and building far more interesting than killing and killing and killing and killing... Killing....

20. Galen

Galen Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

Then play minecraft.

Or sit down and mod something together.

Mods: Rainbows