1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

What happened to farming and animals?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Sir_Edward, Jul 29, 2013.

?

Do you think there should be farming/animal sheperding in kag beta?

1. yes

77.3%
  2. no

22.7%
Mods: Rainbows
  1. PinXviiN

PinXviiN Haxor

Yeah I hear it alot. Maybe suggest somethinng else other than modding or playing minecraft?

2. Tsilliev

Tsilliev Haxor

My silly opinion.
    10 Point system, Killing oriented 0 p till Building oriented 10 p
    TDM 0 p [x]
    TTH 3.5 p [x]
    CTF 5 p [ ]
    War 6.5 p [ ]
    KARPS 8 p [ ] :D

3. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

>implying there is no builder in the game

4. sheek

sheek Horde Gibber

The building in beta has gotten so much better honestly. Quicker too:)

5. Tsilliev

Tsilliev Haxor

If someone wants I can give him a script where you can build a nursery and a kitchen from the F menu.
    [​IMG]
    And if he hosts a server there you go we have farming back. And if it comes to animals, I may take a look how to add custom factory and learn how to spawn items so I can spawn animals which are already in KAG like Bison,Shark,Fish and Steak or I can make them right now craftable from the workbench but that wouldn't make sense, we also have chicken but with no cfg file, maybe I can copy the same cfg file from the bison and configure it a little.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 18, 2013, Original Post Date: Aug 17, 2013 ---
    Good news everyone! I made it so you can spawn a bison from the nursery! Now I will make config file for the chicken and do the same. The only problem is that to spawn the bison you need to take the seed and plant it xD
    [​IMG]
    Edit: Chicken idea failed, it crashes I may look into it more but now I added cattle building with bison and shark and another building the normal nursery with tree seeds only.
    [​IMG]

Ninja12 likes this.
  6. Sir_Edward

Sir_Edward Builder Stabber

Tsilliev, I totally support what you are doing, and i feel this is the beginning for some very promising developments. :)

7. Tsilliev

Tsilliev Haxor

Grain is dropped from grain plant now, so we have the farming back and with that grain you can feed the bison that comes out from the cattle farm, but I think to rename the nursery to Farm and add seeds and animals there because the cattle farm is invisible only the backwall is displayed because i created another folder, copied nursery and renamed, and everyone else doesn't have that.

8. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

You should do a full economy kind of mod, where you have flowing income via farming and kills, the team's goal is to reach XXX amount of $$$ before the other team does :D

more land = more farms
    more farms = more money
    more land = more pressure from the enemy team

9. Tsilliev

Tsilliev Haxor

Hall = land atm.
    So what about if I try to make for an ex if your team haves 1 hall you get X amount of coins every time after for an ex. 5 min, if you have 2 halls 2x X amount of coins and you will buy bombs,arrows,fire arrows and such with coins. So you will only need 1 factory and you can buy as much as you want depending how much coins you have. More coins will come from cutting logs, mining stone, mining gold, destroying blocks,kills. Its not hard, from materialsfromtiles.as
    if (getMap().isTileStone( tile ))
    {
    MakeMat( this, worldPoint, "mat_stone", 4 * damage ); // builder is typically 0.5f
    (here get 1 or 2 coins, it is not makemat because it spawns material at the inventory its another command same for gold)
    }
    else if (getMap().isTileGold( tile ))
    {
    MakeMat( this, worldPoint, "mat_gold", 4 * damage );
    }
    But the hard for me is to make a coin timer without crashing the server. Its not hard to make but I am not sure at which specific location to put it, norill already haves a timer for his necromancer I may ask him a couple of questions. Like where to put the timer, and then I will lower it and just add the command add coins.
    And to enable the sprite of coins at the menu so we can see how much coins we have, I can watch from the examples of already existing resources like stone,gold but coins are not physical resource they are virtual.
    and counting/cost system is already done for kills and items.
    #coin stuff isn't used at all
    coins_death_drop_percentage = 30
    coins_damage_enemy = 5
    coins_build_percentage = 10
    coins_bomb_cost = 20
    coins_arrows_cost = 1
    coins_heal_cost = 2
    coins_unit_cost = 50
    From gamemod.cfg of war
    And about the farms, for a destroyed grain plant get X amount of coins and/or for every Farm building build the total amount of salary that every team mate gets is +X amount bigger.
    The files from tth modded keep getting deleted so I made another folder for them, and I am almost ready of getting the tth back with horizontal menu this time, and then I can start the economy system.

10. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

I'm a bit late to this thread, but I want to throw my two cents in anyway.

I don't dislike the idea of having farming and animals in-game, but only if it can be done in a manner that keeps the game fun.

Here's the thing:
    - Replanting trees manually was removed because it was annoying and often led to people being lazy and the team running out of wood.
    - Manually cooking food from grain was removed because it took too long and most people want to fight, not bake cookies (though Builder Cakes were amazing, admittedly).
    - Everything is fully automatic production now; it's only necessary to build a factory and watch it go... because nobody wants to sit there and manufacture bombs themselves. We have peasants for that.

Thinking along those lines, I think farming as a whole is not going to show up in Capture the Flag or War modes because it simply isn't practical. Who the heck wants to sit around watching grass grow (literally) when there's a war to be fought. Imagine a game like Team Fortress 2 with FARMING. No. Just... no.

If they somehow manage to find a way to make farming exciting, I'm all for it, but until then, it only belongs in some kind of survival/sandbox mode.

11. Tsilliev

Tsilliev Haxor

The trees were disappearing after some time this is why I added nursery back, the seeds are still multiplying, if someone wants to use nursery now, or later where there are no seeds left or not use nursery at all its all about his decision if he wants more wood or not.

From cutting one grain plant you get 3 grains, which produce around 8 bread, if you are lazy go build burger factory but instead of burger factory you could use fire arrows or something else.

Team Fortress is all about killing not building, its like saying, imagine Counter Strike having farming?!
    I have heard a lot of people that say that they want farming back, that they want nursery back, if you don't want it you already have TTH.

You are saying why those features were removed, but there are still players that liked the older builds, that had more things to do than just killing,making a wall, killing again.

Another thing about the farming, it is exactly and I mean exactly the same as the trees only there are 2 differences, the grain plant on death doesn't drop grain seed and after you get the grains you must fetch them to a building so you can get the resource, ok now imagine you had it exactly as the trees, on death the plant drops 2 grain seeds and also drops 3 grains from which you craft 2 burgers immediately, you think this is stupid? This is why there is kitchen to craft the burgers and nursery to grow the crops again.
    Or its the same as making saw factory where you put the logs and you get wood after some time.

Having everything automated so we come to the point where we can put a wood factory to produce wood the same way as it produces the bread, why don't we do that? Remove stone blocks, trees, gold get factories, build a wall and all change to knight?

(If I sound offensive, excuse me, I have been up for 30+ hours)

12. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

Having the nursery as an add-on is not at all appalling to me. I think that's a great idea, especially if you want to change the locations of trees.

I see your point regarding the food, but still, builders have a lot of work to do as-is when it comes to repairing (believe me, buildings go down twice as easily in Beta), and unless you can get a 20+ player server to work without lag, you can't afford to cut back on the number of soldiers you have in the field to allow someone to farm. You cut back on the number of people fighting, the enemy gets to your base, starts wrecking stuff, then you need MORE builders to repair it if you don't want to be overrun, lowering the number of fighters even more, and pretty soon, you've lost the match because somebody was planting things instead of fighting.

Now, granted, this is not always the case, but it happens rather often. I've noticed that the team with even just a +1 player advantage seems to be on the offensive most of the time rather than the defensive.

I didn't understand exactly what you were after before, but after reading your post, I do understand, and I LIKE what you're trying to do. I'm just afraid that it's going to have the opposite effect that you intend, encouraging people to rush the enemy base with every player as an Archer or a Knight, because rushing tactics work even better when more of the enemy players are builders who can hardly defend themselves.

I don't know how well it'll work, but heck, the only way we will know is if you test it out. For everyone's sake, I hope I'm wrong, and that the bonus of having large amounts of food at the cost of a builder or two turns the tides for the team doing the extra grunt-work... but I feel like everyone is just going to resort to charging with 80% Knights, destroying everything and frustrating all the players who are trying to support their team by farming food and such, that's all.

13. Tsilliev

Tsilliev Haxor

People get tired after 30 min of killing and being killed they look for alternatives.

14. Boea

Boea Such Beta

So, nurseries are a shoe in.

How about build-able ovens, toss the grain/food in, and it starts to churn out oven-cooked food. [or have burger shops dependent on a stockpile of food units]
    And have it so that these oven-cooked foods be sucked into the hall, or whatever storage, and then make them a spawn item.
    BAM, +1 Shops per Halls in the place of obsoleted Burger Shops.
    [POST SCRIPT :: If it isn't clear, the oven would probably work through the inputted food units \x\, to slow churn out oven-cooked foods \y\, and probably in batches to a limit, if you stock it well enough.]

Also, don't tell me people necessarily pay attention to what the shops churn out, I've been the person that has had to drag non spawn items to people in the field for a long while now.

15. Tsilliev

Tsilliev Haxor

You mean build already existent kitchen above the hall that drops burgers in the storage if you put grain in the kitchen?

16. Boea

Boea Such Beta

Eh, that can be something, but I would like for there to be an actual oven that works like a saw mill, and churns out Hall-Stored/Spawn-Item Foodstuffs, at a gradual pace.

Something to obsolete the utility of the fire and forget kitchen workshop,which costs a cheap 150 wood, and a Migrant, with an Oven which has the cost of harvesting ingredients and probably some stone.

17. Tsilliev

Tsilliev Haxor

I mean kitchen not food factory. The old buildings.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    If you want to see it download it from here and replace the base. download link.
    The kitchen cost can be changed from builderinventory.as at kitchen section.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 22, 2013, Original Post Date: Aug 21, 2013 ---

:D :D :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Coins are implemented as well now!!!!
    You get coins from mining stone,gold and from cutting logs.
    You will be able to have 10 stacks of coins in your inventory, this means you can gather as much as 2500 coins in your inventory.
    I understand that coins are somewhat virtual and must not be putted in inventory, but right now there is risk of losing your coins when you die, and you must deposit them and hide them somewhere if you want to save a lot of coins. I understand that slot inventory is important so I will add +1 stacks for every resources, this means you can get up to 750 wood in one slot not 500, and 750 stone and the gold will stay default 1000, this way you can have coins in your inventory as well. So by default you had to stack up to 500 wood 500 stone and 1000 gold and you would be full, now you can stack, 500 wood + 250, 500 stone + 250, 1000 gold and coins, so it is actually the same size as default but with coins as well. Unfortunately you need to download this so you can use it and now I will see how to get coins from kills but knights and archer inventory is going to get full as well, so should I increase the size of pickable items or just add another slot?

If you want virtual coins, or no coins in inventory, then you must help me how to make that because I am not sure how. I copied cfg from stone this is why you have coins in inventory.

Edit: Fixed animation for appropriate amount, ie for little amount of coins you get the animation of little coins not a lot of coins and made it that you get 6 coins per hit on gold block, 4 coins per hit on stone ore block and 2 coins per hit on log.
    Download
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 22, 2013 ---
    Now I will try to make a bank and/or chest and look how to add coins to kills.
    With the bank you will be able to buy gold,wood and stone with coins and eggs for animals :D Like Bison 300 coins, Shark 300 coins and fishy 20 coins, and maybe! Pine/oak seed 200 coins, or we can keep nursery.

18. Boea

Boea Such Beta

I don't know how to feel about the usage of the coins.
    If anything, they should supplement payment, so you can't outright use them to do everything, but that is if you can handle a reaction/shop dialogue that requires multiple resources.

Probably wood and coin for stone, stone and coin for gold, I don't know.

19. Tsilliev

Tsilliev Haxor

I made it so you can buy bison and shark with coins, because otherwise they will be easily spammed from the nursery, and the more important thing that I am trying to do is as you said resource exchange I am trying to buy gold with coins, but it doesn't spawn
    {
    ShopItem@ s = addShopItem( this, "mat_gold", "$mat_gold$", "Gold", descriptions[9], false );
    AddRequirement( s.requirements, "blob", "mat_coin", "Coins", 200 );
    }
    I will try
    {
    ShopItem@ s = addShopItem( this, "materialGold", "$mat_gold$", "Gold", descriptions[9], false );
    AddRequirement( s.requirements, "blob", "mat_coin", "Coins", 200 );
    }
    And I am still trying to make coins virtual, looking from the tdm, but when I copy paste on playerdie when you get coins, nothing works.

20. Boea

Boea Such Beta

well you also get coins in Challenge mode, it's roughly TTH.

Tsilliev likes this.
Mods: Rainbows