1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

What is a small change that could improve the current build drastically? [1236]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheDirtySwine, Sep 7, 2014.

1. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

The game is currently in an unpresentable state, since quitting a server and joining another server (or the same server) crashes the game 99% of the time. I've confirmed it on various machines and it has happened for over a month.

2. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

Fix getting stuck on corners. I can't stress this enough! I've died more times by getting stuck on corners than any other thing. And jabs need to do half a heart with a little more stun. They currently have no stun and are useless you panic jab spam last second

3. tru0067

tru0067 Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester

I disagree. Keep damage the same, and nerf stun. Jabs beat slashes currently (because of the stun), but ALSO double slashes (again, because of the stun). Jabs v jabs is even, which only leaves shield. Since you cant actually damage people with shield, it is hardly a counter at all. All you can do is shield (so they get stunned) and then jab, which is way too ping dependent and creates an unbreakable circle of jabs. [Note this only applies for very close combat, and I know that you can just run way and charge a slash, but this isn't always an option (tunnel fighting, etc.)]

4. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

(a bit offtopic) On the jabs: I think they're okay and it has added some depth to the combat, you can see this when you watch good knights in a 1v1 situation (check the 1v1 final video tourney when it comes out, the first round), and when playing with good ping;

I've got problems with the shield though, since it should stop a jab if you aim at it good (or as good as you when jabbing), and that happens not as often as it should be. The shield could, perhaps, get again a slightly bigger angle, so as to avoid those moments in which shielding just doesn't seem to cover you from massive jab spammers, bombs and arrows.

5. TheDirtySwine

The stun is non-existent. I can jab a player if they leave themselves vulnerable but they can immediately jab me back. I think that they should give it some stun but reduce the damage as a result. Archers arrows can do half a heart. Knights should do the same

6. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Swine... I don't see how someone who's been playing this game since 2012 can seriously argue for jab-stunning, I really don't. Jab spam is the worst form of knight combat, and making it better than it already is... no please no.

PUNK123 likes this.
  7. TheDirtySwine

There is potential in adding counter play to knight combat. It only does 1/2 a heart so it's not entirely broken. I'm not saying stun for a long time, but long enough so that you can't just spam right after being jabbed. It's OP in its current state

8. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

That's how it works in theory, until you realize every single noob in this game starts off jabbing, and when you get two or three of them jabbing you at once, it's impossible to counter attack and in the worst cases even avoid or move away once they've started stunning you. Especially when you add in the slash-cancelling factor of stuns.

9. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

Which is why you put your shield up and try to make space before you go for a counter attack
    -knight combat 101

Tern likes this.
  10. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

That's how it works now. If you actually got stunned for any duration of time, your shield would be useless against more than one stabber because they just keep stabbing you and preventing your shield. Right now it works fine. I'm not a fan of slash cancellation in theory but in practice it's not too terrible.

The real problem is stalemate matches.

11. tru0067

tru0067 Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester

Increasing jab stun would make soloing impossible. As long as one of them is jabbing, it would be impossible to kill any of them, as you would be forced to either jab or shield (as any slashes or double slashes would be cancelled). Both of which will kill you in a group situation. [Once again, I understand that you could shield bash him, run away, but as I have said before, this isn't always an option. And in group/soloing situations this is even less practical. Moreover, shielding reduces your maneuverability, making it harder to run away anyway]. The recent updates have drastically reduced the ability to solo groups, and I really don't see how knight v knight combat has been improved by the addition of stun cancelling jabs.

12. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

That's what I've been saying since 1215 -- numerous times.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
    PUNK123 likes this.
  13. TheDirtySwine

I wonder if there was a way to have only one jab count as a stun if you got jabbed multiple times

14. Tern

Tern Quickfish Donator Official Server Admin
    1. Zen - [Zen] - (Invite Only)

Water arrows are a little overpowered right now for their price, but I don't advocate raising the price, nor do the vast majority of people who ever play archer. Instead of the normal full stun of water arrows, which can be used to keep someone completely immobile by spamming water arrows until knights come to kill him, I think water arrows should mini-stun, like jabs. If used on a knight charging a slash, the water arrow would cancel the knight's slash without rendering him immobile for a long period of time.

This alone, however, would make water arrows underpowered, and archers need a way to counter knights' bombs. In addition to the mini-stun, water arrows should make a bomb in a knight's hand explode instantly on contact, allowing archers to effectively counter bombs without just mindlessly spamming water arrows. Water arrows could also be used on a hostile archer, retracting the foe's grappling hook and canceling any shot that may have been charged.

These changes would balance water arrows, making them worth their price without making them overpowered when spammed. This would have the added benefit of raising the skill ceiling for archers by requiring more precise timing to use water arrows properly, without nerfing them into oblivion.

15. TheDirtySwine

Could you imagine trying to bomb jump then? It would be like hot potato and you would want that bomb out of your hand asap. I think that water spam is fine because they aren't getting a lot of money in return. It would only be a problem if you're worried about kd. I think water bombs need to be price reduced if anything

Fuzzle likes this.
  16. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

The problem with water arrows currently isn't the strength of the effect; as archer-hating as I am, a light, jab-like stun is rarely going to be useful at long range (unless you add a nonsensical feature like instantly exploding bombs with water). The real problem is that you cannot dodge them like water bombs, even though they have the same effect as water bombs. Maybe to balance the fact that their speed makes them usually impossible to dodge, it should be possible to shield against their blast (though maybe a direct hit will still be effective).
    This way, bomb arrows can be dodged with movement, and water arrows can be avoided with a fast reaction.

Of course, a feature can't just be added for balance if it has no intuitive basis (though some things are like this in KAG already), so here's some justification: water arrows contain visibly less water than water bombs, but their speed apparently makes up for this in stunning potential; therefore, a non-direct hit should contain relatively little secondary spray and should be blocked by a shield. I feel that a change to the sound or visual associated with water arrows as opposed to water bombs would aid the discoverability of these subtleties, should they be introduced.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
    Tern likes this.
  17. ieatpieandlikepie

ieatpieandlikepie Drill Rusher

You should make water bombs jumpable :P

When I just started beta, I tried water bomb jumping off a tall tower.....

DEATH

18. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

Oh, and currently, the fact that you have to manually select water bombs as your main bomb after you buy them (but not if you run out of regular bombs and have water bombs left over) makes no sense and would leave new players trying to throw the water bomb they bought baffled as nothing happens.

19. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

@ternary: i'm not convinced - that would eliminate their usability versus every class except knights completely, while making them a hard-counter to bombs. As it is they require a timing window to be useful against bombs, and they really don't pay for themselves in terms of coins or kills - they simply encourage teamwork and allow the archer to effectively support a push when used appropriately. Yes, you can sink 80 coins into stunlocking someone for like 15 seconds, and they're probably dead in that time and quite annoyed, but it requires someone to be out there to kill them, you're out of pocket 80 coins with zero return on it, and you're short on arrows too.

I understand that they're a point of contention but I haven't seen them used much in serious play (eg recent gather) other than defensively vs bombs because of their unsustainable, zero return cost - I've seen them used a couple of times (6 at a time or more), but most of those times I've felt the money could have been better spent on a bomb arrow breaching a front wall, and the times they've been worth the coin, they've been spent on preventing a builder from wreaking havok, not on stunlocking some knight.

Sort of like how it already works in game then?

More likely, when they tried to use it, they'd use it.
    Like, what happens in game, right now. It doesn't show the icon, but using them works just fine. Granted, if you've already used normal bombs, then come back and buy water, it takes 2 taps as it swaps to the new bomb type on the first tap - if you're fresh from the tent it works first try. Yes, they could be automatically selected on buying, but saying they're going to be baffled is a pretty thorough exaggeration :^)

They actually were for a while; it was a little crazy though as knights could do big jumps without any lead up or warning like there is with a timed bomb jump.

Tern likes this.
  20. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

Oh. Well, I stay away from water everything, so I guess I didn't remember the details. I was recently water stunned through a wall, but it was made of trap blocks, so I can't say for sure if that's a universal thing either.