1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

What is a small change that could improve the current build drastically? [1236]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheDirtySwine, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Ballista Bolt Thrower

Well, some of them are actually amazing matches, it just depends on when the stalemate starts, ends and when it actually becomes fun. If it's one that has no more map left, just voteskip it. If it has land, and its not getting tedious, then you should keep it.
    The best matches that I have had are ones that are a constant back-and-forth, ones that are over an hour long.

tru0067 and PUNK123 like this.
  2. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

Although I remember it being abused as described, I think last stands in ticket CTF were definitely some of my best memories from classic. At least make tickets a vote, or replace the abrupt stalemate/next map routine with the instatement of a deathmatch ticket counter.

icemusher likes this.
  3. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

Honestly, the last stands with tickets were epic. Yes, people had to watch, but sometimes if you got knocked out early, it gave you and your hands a well needed break. Also, buildings are destroyed easier in release than they were in classic. Plus, there's an abundance of servers, I see no harm in turning one of the many official servers in each region into a ticketed game mode. If not that, at least make it so ticketed servers aren't flagged as modded so that people will auto-join them.

4. I agree with @ShnitzelKiller , we should at least be allowed to vote, Though there won't be any more of the last stands, towers going to be too small, not a flat map, and builders dicking around at the base too much.

5. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

The whole team spectating at the end was part of the thrill, yes.
    But as I remember, regular arrows exploded shops effortlessly in classic. It took a while, but all archers had to do is not move and keep clicking. Though that tactic still applies, at least they need to buy special arrows to break structures.

icemusher likes this.
  6. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

sadly most players dont have patience and whenever it gets to a last stand situation it would most likely be ended by a vote(this happened alot even in rtdm god forbid someone has to wait 2 minutes for a match to end)

7. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Agreed. As frustrating as it was sometimes to either a) have pubs waste all your tickets in an endless, senseless rush; or b) play against a team who camped from the get-go-- as frustrating as one/both of those scenarios could be, the last stands were almost always a high point.
    Yus. The implementation of a "sudden death" mode (via a majority vote, ofc) could very well be a satisfying solution to an otherwise endless stalemate: suddenly there's a flashing countdown on the screen warning players "Death becomes permanent in x seconds!" and, after a frantic last minute of scrabbling for position, players make their bloody final charges/courageous last stands knowing that the only possible outcomes (before a fresh match begins) are death or glory! :skull:

(Damn, the more I think about it, the more I really really want this to be a thing. And, ofc, if someone in being a campy fucker and dragging things out then the host of dead players can vote for a next map/kick the camper)

Auburn, Gurin, tru0067 and 5 others like this.
  8. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

An alternative to a ticket vote is to go to tickets after a set time limit. I think voting is kind of a dangerous thing because there's no telling whether every match is tickets right from the start or never tickets at all. Time would have problems too, of course, but it might be better.

tru0067 likes this.
  9. Vidar

Vidar KAG Guard Donator Tester

FBB I think this is a wonderful idea. It stops games from becoming mundane and much too long while adding the final combat situations that were so exciting in alpha. It's such a good idea, it really could be the answer to dull, drawn out, next map games. No need for tickets just straight to permadeath after the clock runs out.

Brilliant idea. I wish I thought of it.

10. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

Personally; I hate stalemates -- something I hate even more; games that ends without a winner. What's the actual difference between a sudden death and a stalemate vote .. more time to lit kegs? Stalemate votes are rarely successful because people want to win.

There exists multiple ( obvious ) solutions to the stalemate problem already; tickets and timers, but have they been implemented yet? Stalemates are not always a problem; servers with few people are seemingly less likely to cause stalemates, which is why any solutions should be configuration options. Why reinvent the wheel; to feel important?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
    PUNK123 likes this.
  11. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Thank you for that constructive and enlightening contribution to the discussion, Fuzzle. The next time we need a bitter and myopic interjection (with suitably sarcastic overtones, ofc) I'm sure you'll be the first to know. :huh?:
    ---

In all seriousness though: what, exactly, does your post bring to the table beyond a vague assertion about 'configuration options' being the cure to all our woes, a different font, and an odd approach to textual formatting?

You're perfectly entitled to hold your own opinions; however, if you wish to persuade us to adopt your beliefs then seriously consider upping your game. Your backing for your 'configuration options' assertion failed to include any mention of how tickets or timers could be used effectively and instead rested on some weak anecdotal evidence about "servers with few people". You grossly conflated sudden death (where play continues --albeit with higher stakes, given that players cannot respawn after they die) with a stalemate vote (where play ends immediately) despite their clear differences. You imply (unsubtly, I might add) that those of us suggesting possible fixes are not only blind/stupid ("There exists multiple ( obvious ) solutions to the stalemate problem already") but also vainglorious and egocentric ("Why reinvent the wheel; to feel important?") because doing so carries the slim possibility of bolstering your otherwise floundering argument.

In short, your post has little-to-no redeeming qualities. It is flippant. It is self-serving. It is simultaneously both astringent and insipid in a most dishonest fashion.

Please, for the love of Hella's love of lungfish: why did you bother posting in the first place??!?

Wait. No. Don't answer that.

Instead, just do us all a favour and post logically, coherently, and constructively the next time you decide to dish out some criticism. Thank you, and goodnight.

12. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

That's great @FBB! Correct; I implied that you're blind, stupid and egocentric .. at least you understood that much.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
    PUNK123 likes this.
  13. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Such logic, coherence, and constructiveness!

Well, the difference is that there's still a winner with a sudden death. That's the whole point of his proposal.

And then you go on to argue that you like tickets? That's what his sudden death idea is all about.

And yes, I agree, stalemates aren't always a problem. They're even fun sometimes. So why are constant tickets and timers, something that affects all games and basically just acts as a length cap, better than a vote?

Or, y'know, because we want more fun? Nah, we just want to feel good about ourselves. That's more likely.

It seems like you guys might actually agree with each other on the actual topic, there may have just been a misunderstanding.

14. FuzzyBlueBaron

Not going dignify Fuzzle with a reply, Potatobird, but just to pick up on some points you made.
    Precisely. It would prevent 30% of games becoming a long and drawn out series of votes until finally enough people are bored and/or frustrated enough with the stalemate to just want to wipe the slate clean. Instead players would have the option to vote for a hastened and adrenalin-charged ending with a clear winner OR continue to grind it out in the hope of a more traditional victory.

Here, however, I have to disagree with you. We are ice cream foes, standing on opposite sides of an unbroachable divide. There can be no collusion between us...

See, Fuzzle believes that current and/or past mechanics (timers and tickets) in their current forms are good enough solutions to the stalemate problem whereas, otoh, people like myself are suggesting that a new mechanic (which is really just a re-hash of the existing mechanics, but with enough of a twist on the originals that it counts as 'different') like sudden death might provide a more attractive alternative to the currently banal /nextmap result of a stalemate vote.

Fuzzle wants us to be happy vanilla and chocolate ice cream; for him the thought of introducing more flavours would be... oh... egotistical? I think this is silly, instead voicing the suggestion that maybe (just maybe) adding banana flavour to the selection would lead to a better overall game. Where people take our various suggestions kinda isn't up to us, but either way I can't really see it magically turning out that we were both just mistaken and that secretly we both agreed. :huh?:

Unless it's about Hella probably being a bastard. No one could disagree with that.

tru0067 and kodysch like this.
  15. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

Vanilla and chocolate haven't even been implemented yet? Quite a few ice cream inventors have with their hand-cranked churns created those simple ice creams and given us a tastings -- and I believe that most of us have a fondness for these already --, but have they been commercialized yet? It's fair enough to dream about banana flavour ( I hate bananas btw. ), bacon flavour and the thousands of other possible flavours, but I guess most of us simply wants ice cream.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
    FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  16. FuzzyBlueBaron

https://forum.kag2d.com/forums/suggestions-ideas.100/
    Haha, that's fair enough, I wholeheartedly sympathise with the desire for just wanting some damned (and also tasty) dairy-based dessert (!) irrespective of whether it's your preferred flavour. ::):

I guess my only point against that would be that this is a thread for people to dream dreams (practical dreams, people! Take your crazy ideas for completely changing ALL THE THINGS to S & I :left::huh?:) and thus, imho, coming up with solutions for stalemates that involve a modest amount of modding/new code isn't all that unreasonable.

(And, re: bananas, do you just hate the flavour of the fruit, or do you also dislike the that lovely artificial flavour they call "banana" that really just tastes of "yellow"? ::P:)

17. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester

Remove spike dropping 2k14

tru0067 likes this.
  18. revsta

revsta Shipwright

I think adding some regen of gold/stone ore needs to be considered. A large reason for stalemates on big maps is the size of the map and the lack of builders to change the course of the game, as they are left with only wood, which can be easily owned with a fire arrow.

Gold and stone should regen slowly so if your tunnel is destroyed that's not it for the end of the game. Ore should regen so builders can build forward walls and move up. Otherwise it just turns into a throw knights across the map and watch builders patch with wood for the next hour.

19. It works the other way around. Lack of stone forces people to use wood that's easily destroyable which should allow people to advance over the used-to-be-constantly-repaired structures

20. revsta

revsta Shipwright

Is that you in your av?

It doesn't though, because it doesn't allow builders to do anything other than sit play a repair game, which means that you end up with a bunch of knights running at each other. If the map is a water map or has big gullies, you're not getting anywhere. The builders aren't able to then build tunnels, to make forward walls to allow their team to progress. Forward positions in this game can't be taken without builders. A knight group can go hold mid as long as they want, but if you don't get some team doors/walls up, you're not going to be able to advance from there with any effectiveness. Running out of resources essentially means builders are relegated to repair jobs, doing nothing, while archers and knights bounce off each other or get stuck in the water/holes on a big maps.