1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

What is your weekly routine?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Inexorable, Jun 11, 2012.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Inexorable

Inexorable The おっぱい lovin' nipple wizard. Donator

I do medium weights full speed for as long as possible and as many sets as possible on: Push press, shoulder press, pull downs, flys (back and front), seated rows, a machine that does biceps and traps (pull a weight in towards you), and another thing for my triceps.

And for core I do crunches, elevated sit ups with turns, lifting my legs up on that thingamajig for lower abs, and I do things for my lower back at TKD.

I've started pushing myself up on the parallel bars and going to work on chin ups, its fucking annoying being tall sometimes because there is so much torque involved in doing body weight exercises, and I'm heavy (85kg) making it worse.

I don't bother with numbers I just do as much as I can for as long as possible.

I'm looking into the possibility of somehow find something I can kick/punch 1000 times a day, for the best workout for my needs.

Sorry if double post I'm pretty sure an admin around here is trying to stop me downloading shit...

Beef likes this.
  2. Beef

Beef ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ ก้้้้้้้้้้้ Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

Not a very efficient routine. Lot of isolations. Trying to judge by lactic acid build up is a poor barometer for progress, but a common one. If you're going for endurance that's fine, but if you're training for strength/power or just trying to get big it's a poor method.

What are your goals? You don't seem overly fond of compound lifts, which will help no matter your goal.

Also, 85kgs, heavy? Heh. At what height?

Also I would recommend bothering with numbers, especially for a beginner! Sure, it'll sting the auld ego when you find out you may not even be novice level, or if you're decent by average person standards, finding you're not even in tier three for powerlifting, or you're half as strong as your weight category would imply in the Olympics*. That, and seeing tangible, physical progress, usually pretty quickly, locks people into the life style, as well as being a barometer for how good your diet and rest periods are.

*Not saying any of these are likely achievable for the average person, but it's nice to have goals, and get people out of complacency.

Edit; Also, you want to get better at chins? Negatives, assists, greasing the wheel, etc, are all fine methods for getting started. After that doing 3x5 sets, working up to 3x8. Once you can do that, try and do 15 in one set. If you can, time to move up to weighted ones! I'm working with 20lbs+ now.

Weighted chins give ya maaaad lats (dat v-taper) and arms, I tells ya. I have never done a curl and have 16.5 inch biceps, from chins alone.

lehoon likes this.
  3. lehoon

lehoon King

I'm guessing he's not trying to build muscle since he's taking TKD. Regardless, if you're working out, you should always stick with numbers, even if you're not trying to build mass. The numbers help you keep track of your progress. Gauging your workouts by how you feel won't give you tremendous progress, or the necessary psychological boost that comes with increase in # of reps, increased weights, etc.

Edit: Meh, Beef worded it better than me, so I'll just re-post what he said.

Beef likes this.
  4. Inexorable

My goal is a combo of power and endurance, for just now. I don't do any work on my legs because they are naturally strong and I find it hard enough to do stretches for TKD anyways. Like leg presses usually go up to 200kg, which I can do piece of cake, and my right leg round house kick is already way past rib breaking strength.

I just tend not to go with numbers (I used to), Because its crazy how much I can lift on a certain day varies. Like one day I'll be able to do 50kg pull downs over 30 times, and sometimes I'll struggle with 42kg to 20 reps.

I Yeah I know about what exercises for what muscles and such, and I'm trying to to use the machines that allow free movement of limbs, so I'm working more than just the large muscle groups, and I use my free weights at home for endurance specifically.

Overall my plan is, POWER (plus a little endurace) ---> STRENGTH ---> ENDURANCE. And during this I'll try my hardest to increase flexibility.

I have enough cardio to throw powerful kicks for 3 rounds so I don't really care about cardio, I have enough for everything I want to do.

Yeah if you have any ideas I'd like to hear.

And idea of my kind of strength, on average this is.

Shoulder press 20-25kg 16 reps about 3-4 times, Pulldowns about 50kg 20+ times about 3 times, seated bench press nearly 50 kgs (not sure think its 47) like 15 times, 3 sets, when it comes to bench press, On a machine I can lift more than 80kg but I tend not to, I used to be able to press 96kg, but I lost strength after 3 surgeries. Its coming back though, I usually leave this for home aswell where I do it free weight at like 40kg. The flys (I think its flys, but its the one where: hands out 180 degrees to reach handles, pull handles inwards in an arc with slightly bent arm till your fists touch), I do 50kg sets of 30+ reps about 3 times, but can usually manage another 20 after, that machine were you pull the weights in towards you, like opposite of bench, I do nearly 50kg, 4 sets of about 18 reps.

I do all this as fast as I can whilst maintaining good form.

EDIT: Oh by the way, I don't experience any lactic acid, my arms literally just cease to be able to lift. No pain, my arms may hurt a couple of days after but I have to be going ape shit to do that.

EDIT: I once concentration curled 25kg twice :P

5. lehoon

lehoon King

You do cardio. Just not at the gym:

Seriously. Friday through Sunday: Three sets of forward-back-forward-back x 50. I do it as fast as I can. Hand switch. Three sets of forward-back-forward-back x 50. Hand switch. Wearing work out gloves? You know it.

Pause. Check my pulse. 180 going strong.

Repeat 2 more sets bilat. 2 sets reduced to 35 reps per hand (everyone gets lactic acid). Cool down if I'm feeling real good.

Monday through Thursday: Shakeweight

Don't we all...

Contrary and Kouji like this.
  6. Inexorable

Yeah I know, but I cant feel pain. Or any discomfort when I work out...

Whats forward back lol

7. Beef

... and where did you get your degree in broscience?

It's cute you think a big sounding number on the leg press means your legs are strong. I've seen elderly people do that. How much do you squat? Front or back.

There are many reasons your lifts can vary. The fact you claim to not get lactic acid or feel pain (assuming it's not just idle teenage posturing) shows you are either a medical marvel or know very, very little about exercise. Your routine is also a very poor one for your goals, including everything from exercise choice to rep number.

Do more research. You're letting yourself down, Inexorable. Greg Everetts' book on Oly lifting is very good. Mark Rippetoes book to build strength is worth reading as well. I'd read those two first.

Edit; I sound pretty harsh, but if you're going to devote time to this, devote a little more for way better results

8. lehoon

lehoon King

Forward-back is jacking-off. *sigh* Re-read what I wrote now.
    I failed at trolling :(

Inexorable and Kouji like this.
  9. Downburst

Downburst Mindblown Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

to (almost) everyone in this topic:

cptobvious.jpg

I mean, that's the only real routine right?

Contrary likes this.
  10. lehoon

lehoon King

That's what my post was about, but everyone failed to recognize it. Or it just wasn't that funny

11. Inexorable

I masturbate less than once a week so its not really a major part of my workouts.
    </br>--- merged: Jun 18, 2012 10:24 PM ---</br>
    Yeah I know 200 is nothing, I mean a friend of mine can do like 400 or some shit and he's about the same size, I just mean that I have no trouble doing it. But my legs are strong, in my novice year rowing, I was always the strongest rower out of the guys (These guys weren't soft either, rugby players/farm boys). (Or most powerful, because its pretty intense exercise).

Fine then, I'll stick to numbers.

High weight, 7-8 reps, 5-6 sets, 5 times a week. Does that sound like power to you?

Because I'm after the ability to do work quickly, because just plain strength will slow me down.

12. Beef

No. Speed is nothing without strength. Ever seen an Oly lifter? Pure power. Very strong, and very fast. You can't be fast without strength.

Honestly you seem to have the drive, but lack the education. Fix that. The leg press for instance is fine if you're going for quadriceps hypertrophy, something you claim to lack interest in. Now, for the squat, a study by Escamilla et al, 2001, showed that both narrow stance and wide stance squats activated more rectus femoris, vastus lateralis, vastus medialis, lateral hamstring, medial hamstring, and gastrocnemius activity than narrow stance and wide stance leg presses; both with a low foot placement and a high foot placement. An experiment by James et al, showed that squats led to higher levels of quad, hamstring, gluteus maximus, and erector spinae activity than leg presses.

They are the single best lower body exercise, by far, and almost anyone who's strong will tell you that. They will make a man out of you.

They also give you a great arse.

The leg press is fine for an isolation if your quads are lagging behind but to have it as a mainstay just isn't effective. Try and squat an intermediate weight for your size, say, three plate, to at least parallel, and then tell me if you have strong legs or not.

In regards the reps, 3-5 is considered optimum for strength/power, but you could get away with just working heavy singles. It's not just the reps however, it's your whole routine! There is a ton of literature out there on how to build a routine to suit you. If you've never done a proper heavy routine before I'd recommend SS, SL, or Westside for Skinny Bastards. Then move onto 5/3/1 or Mad Cow, or make your own.

You won't become "bulky" or "huge" over night. There's about 4kcal per pound of muscle, so your diet is going to have to be good too, and that's before you even get onto rest, deloads, periodization, etc

You gotta make the decision though. Am I going to work out, or am I going to rain?

13. Inexorable

Yeah yeah, I really don't want to do leg exercises, my legs are big enough and yeah haha I have a very "shapely" arse. I'm just looking to build a bit on my upper body, just a little bit in the right places, because I'm in quite good shape, I just have long lean muscle and I'm tall (188cm) so I look a bit too lean even though I'm not. Also I might start doing another martial art that involves punching so I'd like to have a stronger upper body ready for that.

But yeah 3-5 reps of what like 90-95% of my max? How many sets? How many times a week?

I eat a lot of good food btw (like 6 or more small meals a day, high carbs and I get plenty of protein and fruit).

Might try some heavy lifts today, along with more body weight exercises.

Like I said not really after bulk or massive strength. After higher power to weight.

14. thegoodone

thegoodone Tree Planter

Long time ago, people who sacrifice their sleep, family, food, laughter and other joys of life were called SAINTS.
    But now, they`re called STUDENTS.

15. MCrypa

MCrypa Haxor

Students - Eat food
    Students - Sleep
    Students - Spend time with their family
    Students - Can have fun
    Students - Can enjoy other joys of life

I'm not sure I can see the similarity.

16. Inexorable

Yeah now that I'm not depressed, I do all those things apart from the family thing, coz I don't live near any.

God I fucking love food. And oppai.

17. MCrypa

MCrypa Haxor

Do I sense japanese? ;)

Inexorable likes this.
  18. thegoodone

thegoodone Tree Planter

In my school I have to learn hard and stay here until evening so I don`t have plenty of free time.

19. Overlord

Overlord KAG Guard Tester

wake up
    computer
    sleep
    repeat

Inexorable, thegoodone and MCrypa like this.
Mods: BlueLuigi