1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

When did you start playing KAG and how did you find it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fellere825, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

I started KAG back in June 2011 when Kotaku had it on their website. Back in the day it was all about gold rush. So no one died... ha ha everyone who tried to steal gold was vote kicked and the winning team took basically five hours until everyone built their giant castle forts and mined their gold. What was amazing was that it was still fun for being so slow paced. OH! and there was no shield down and things still floated back then... and gaming crew wasn't dead ha ha... good times.
    Well this is pretty much an excuse to reminisce about the past and a simpler time.

So... when did you start KAG? How was it then? How does it compare to now?

inactive_account and Froghead48 like this.
  2. saniblues

saniblues KAG Guard Tester

About the same time.

I'm the guy that started the trend of hiding gold in the mountains so nobody could find it. Too bad gold rush got taken out

3. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

@saniblues: It's still there, no one just hosts it :(

I can't remember the exact time, but when I started playing it was still about gold rush and all the resources screwing your screen and no resources.

I guess the game has got better over time, but I'm still getting nostalgic of gold sacks :D

4. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

May 11th when Geti posted it here.

Back in my day we didn't even have a way to win so games would never end. There was one server and it would be rare to find another person on so mostly you minecrafted alone. There were no physics so stuff floated in midair and since there was no way to win the map often got completely mined out. Since it was mostly minecrafting people actually built nice looking castles instead of shitty walls with ladders up one side.

There was no shielding down, no bombs, no catapults, no bedrock or hard rock, no background, everyone had two hearts, knights only had a slash which had no knockback or stun or anything, and archers could shoot through walls and fire like machine guns and always did 1 damage. And there was no physics so everything floated in midair. Skybridges were hell to get rid of; you had to cut down every single tile of it.

There was no lag compensation and only one server to choose from so lag was a lot worse. Also you damaged your allies. A popular technique was to switch teams and spam slashes on the tent so everyone(the one other guy on the server) died. When we eventually had people there was no autobalance so one time always got massively outnumbered.

Man it would be neat to play on an old build, just for a day.

[​IMG]

5. Fellere825

Kind of hard to beat day one... lol D:

6. Contrary

Actually it's really funny reading through that thread now; talking about the imminent implementation of funds (lol), talking about character customization likely never happening (lol).

I'm still waiting on those decorations Geti.

7. Fellere825

Chinizz likes this.
  8. Wyeth

Wyeth KAG Guard Donator Tester

I played when it looked more like what Contrary posted, but I have no idea what was going and couldn't really get into it (I tried a couple times, but too much to do or other distractions). I think I actively started playing the game around the time I purchased it, which was around uhm... end of August 11'.

9. Eggnogg

Eggnogg Ye Olde Wench Donator Tester

I found out about KAG when someone linked to the Data Realms thread on Pixelation.

I wasn't around as early as Contrary (wow, I never even knew about some of that stuff). I started playing when we still had goldrush, typical map generation was pointy hill or pointy crevice, no block physics, catapults had just been added, votekick was abused like nothing else, the interface was hideous, and I was automatically assigned with the name "Peasant" every time I played because we didn't have profiles and I didn't know how to change my name.

The oldest screenshot I have of KAG:
    [​IMG]
    (outposts had just been added, and tunneling became heaven).

10. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I think the builds were in the 30s when I showed up. We had gold rush and not a lot else - no catapults, etc.
    I haven't got a clue how I heard about it though...

It was interesting. I remember being very confused but then someone helped me work out what the hell was going on, explaining that to get out of the hole I was stuck in I needed to carve notches in the walls...

Duke_of_Sausages and Eggnogg like this.
  11. Eggnogg

Eggnogg Ye Olde Wench Donator Tester

I too, remember the allure of the game, the wonder I felt when I played for the very first time. I was unsure what to do, but getting to know the tricks was great fun.

12. SpruceMaroose

SpruceMaroose Shipwright

It seems so long ago when I started playing KAG.. Almost 5 days now. Ahh Build 190, those simple times before customisable heads and up/down team bridges, I often like to sit back and remember the good old 190 days. :D

13. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

I joined in the 40s and 50s, roughly when eggnogg had first joined the game. I distinctly remember the first patch I experienced: bedrock had just been put in the game, much to my chagrin. I never thought i'd have a day when I came to accept bedrock as a proper block. Bombs were really fun because they required proper skill and knight combat was very much stalematey because you had to get a slash (yes uncharged slash) on the enemy while he wasnt shielding but fun because of it. I could actually play as an archer back in the old builds, surprisingly. There were no gibs, no shield down, no outposts and no flags, just good old gold rush. I wish someone would bring that back...

14. mrbiscuitify

mrbiscuitify Horde Gibber

I got it from desura while watching tb's livestream. the kag servers were down because of several 1000 people trying to get on the website.

Kurohagane likes this.
  15. smalltrouble

smalltrouble Shipwright

I started playing in May when PC Gamer posted about KAG on their site. Back then we didn't have your fancy charging attacks and backgrounds, we just had a blue background and archers that could spam arrows constantly. I played the game daily until some point in the summer when I stopped playing and then came back and loved it again. Looking at the earlier builds and looking at it now, the game has came a long way.

16. saniblues

saniblues KAG Guard Tester

Some day I'm going to guess a valid gift code, and it's going to be something absurd like "Seymour Butts"

I can feel it in my bones

17. Noc

Noc Bison Rider

Wow talk about accurate predictions. Anyways, I started playing when everyone left gold rush to play CTF. I still got to play gold rush, but it wasn't the big thing.

18. t0rchic

t0rchic Drill Rusher

Same

19. Contrary

That was me lol.

20. hansel

hansel Shopkeep Stealer

I think I started the day shielding down was implemented. I love how much KAG eveolved since then, but sometimes I find myself turning off the background to see the clear blue gradient sky and feel like the old times :)