1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Where They Cremate The Roadkill; Surrealist RPG by John Clowder

Discussion in 'Other games' started by thebonesauce, Jan 17, 2015.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

John Clowder (of Middens and Gingiva fame) has been talking about a game he has worked on since releasing Gingiva (over two years ago). Well, just a few days ago he posted the Kickstarter for Where They Cremate The Roadkill.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2136199701/where-they-cremate-the-roadkill

For those who don't wish to click the link, here is the basic plot rundown, the trailer and some screenshots!

With an arrest warrant for the Devil a fool ventures into the world. He finds the poor imp living out of a box. It appears the infernal creature has fallen out of work.

"People are so evil these days there's no room for me to help"

Soon after the fool meets a second spirit clothed in a cracked skull and their path forks into three lives.

"Be careful" was the advice of their fore-bearers. "Strangers sit at the center of their desires like a lion in a pit, love and pain come packaged alike, and every person is a mirror to you. At the first step you could be in danger, at the second you could be dead"

Undeterred the fool thinks, "It takes four sticks of C4 to completely obliterate the human body, I'm going to go out with five."

Stirred from trickster myths and early folk tales Where They Cremate the Roadkill is an exploration based action RPG for Windows and Mac that features a fool on an outing to make their fortune where fortune has no foot hold. Here even the land is in conspiracy against you. To succeed they'll have to play a careful game or they'll be the next card to enter their opponents hand.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You guys really should support him... He's asking for a meager $3600, that's enough for himself to barely get by, while paying the other artists for their work on the game.

Interested in seeing a bunch of his art?
    http://revolverwinds.deviantart.com

His artwork is fascinating. He's a collage artist, and many of the enemy sprites from Middens/Gingiva are his own works of art. They are REALLY fucking good.

EDIT! In less than a week, Clowder has hit his funding goal, and now come the stretch goals... If the backers choose it to be so, the game will become freeware.

I'm getting a $900 paycheck this week, and I'm seriously considering pledging $200 so I can get that awesome fucking painting of The Devil tarot card... https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2136199701/where-they-cremate-the-roadkill/

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  2. you could have a custom head for that price

Pizza and Ej like this.
  3. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

I don't know, man... I feel violated just looking at this stuff.

Maybe I just can't understand the surrealism.

4. thebonesauce

Naw man... I spoke to Clowder himself, and for $200 I would actually get the ORIGINAL painting, and not a print!

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  5. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

"A bold move, I fear, to peddle this curiosity to the unwashed masses.

And a bold purchase, friend of friends"

Said the other to the one

6. thebonesauce

"A warm supper and a high salary...

We'll have it made."

they said in unison

Nighthawk and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  7. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

I wish I had half of the class that was just displayed in those last two posts.

thebonesauce likes this.
  8. thebonesauce

Less than 24 hours to go! I have no clue if anyone on here is even interested, but the Kickstarter just passed it's first stretch goal of a Mini Comic added with the game, there has been a little under $1000 pledged in the last 24 hours. When I went into work yesterday, it was only at around $4,800, now we're at $5770! If this keeps up, at $7k he's adding a story branch he calls Wake Night, a holiday where the denizens of the "town" try to stay up for 24 hours. IF we get to $10k, he is going to expand on content, "The fifty track soundtrack will be expanded by ten songs or more. Additional cinemas will be added and the endings lengthened. More spells, creatures and side-quests. To top it off whenever your character sleeps there'll be a chance they'll dream. "
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 16, 2015, Original Post Date: Feb 12, 2015 ---
    Well, the game was funded and his goal was $3600, but the last two days of the Kickstarter more people were donating like crazy, and the grand total is $6256!

I actually backed the game, and since I have a good job and savings in the bank, I pledged $200 and got a really sick reward, along with some other little tidbits!

The main thing I'm getting considering rewards for my contribution is John Clowder's design for his interpretation a Tarot deck. I'm receiving this sweet water color painting pretty soon. Here's a picture;
    [​IMG]

However, I am a little sad... I pledged for the $200, but double that and you could have gotten this;
    [​IMG]
    I am completely unsure of what it is, what it wants, if it's aggressive or prefers the pacifist route. It's another great painting, but I'm sad that it wasn't sold.

Now, on top of having that sexy thing, I also get to test the beta, my name in the credits with 4 stars attached, digital download of the game bundled with it's soundtrack, a printable version of his Tarot deck, and something that I found to be pretty awesome;
    Yeah, I'm a little excited... Haha

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
    Konoko and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
Mods: BlueLuigi