1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Why has building become so lazy in beta?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kabahaly, Feb 20, 2015.

1. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

I don't see why any of the single player content that is being made should be added to ctf. There is literally no reason why we need all the circuits and traps in a ctf gamemode which is considered "balanced" if anything servers should be able to add the "circuits" to their servers but none of it should be considered official ctf ie none for clan wars and other things that would make them be considered apart of the ctf gamemode

2. NinjaCell

NinjaCell Haxor

I didn't mean all of the stuff, just if something came up that was suitable it could be added.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  3. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

I wouldn't mind the builder wars game mode they were talking about became apart of the game. I think that would be more hectic and appropriate than adding some things in ctf

PUNK123 likes this.
  4. AcidSeth

AcidSeth Arsonist

Fortunately they won't be adding that stuff to CTF. It's for SP and TDM and maybe sandbox.

On a second note, would more resources help the current situation we have with building? The few builders that teams have are running right and left just to get enough materials to hold up a wall.
    Maybe something more than pebbles and a shorter resupply time could help that?

5. Hospitalizer

Hospitalizer Shopkeep Stealer

I think an hp buff to stone and most stone blocks serviving collapses would go a long way to countering munitions erosion

FuzzyBlueBaron and AcidSeth like this.
  6. hierbo

hierbo Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I don't think that the availability of the resources is really the whole problem, though. Consider that everyone playing the game usually has something they can use to blow a hole in a wall. The players don't find it fun to repeatedly patch holes all game, so whether or not they have resources, its just no fun. Building new things is fun, battle building is fun, but defensive building (the most critical kind!) is exhausting.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    Noburu likes this.
  7. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

But you only have to repair the front tower until your team covers new ground. Then you are supposed to move forward quickly and cover more ground. Really, the lack of resources is the only thing why you see buildings with delay and why they're usually so small. Long ago i suggested that trading shops would act as neutral resource drop pods to fix this problem, but nothing came out of that.

hierbo, NinjaCell and AcidSeth like this.
  8. NinjaCell

NinjaCell Haxor

If that is implemented, they need to be placed in the middle of the map (you mean shops with traders in right?). If we just add more resources in general, they will just be used in the far back of the base. We need more incentive to control more of the map, and no, making a central island with water on either side does not help -__-.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  9. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Yeah the idea was thered be 1-3 shops depending on the size of the map, at 2/7, 4/7, and 6/7, the middle shop granting more resources by default and also small yields of gold. Coin could be used to make the next supply drop larger.

hierbo and NinjaCell like this.
  10. J-man2003

J-man2003 Haxor

I wish it was like that right now, it would be more influential to actually help your team instead of 360 no-scoping all the scrubs while your flag base is under siege.

Though all rounds I've played pretty much everyone only cares about pushing forward, even if they stay knight for all the round they are helping to push forward whether or not they only care about their KD. But I cut the line when some good knight (that I can kill still if I wanted to...) Is like "OMG HUE HIGHEST SCORE TAKE THAT [OPPOSING TEAM COLOR]" and they don't even try to siege, just kill...

hierbo likes this.
  11. Boea

Boea Such Beta

That assumes there is something to repair...

J-man2003 and hierbo like this.
  12. Hallic

Hallic Haxor

At some point in all the updates spikes got so nerfed that they were not really usefull for trapping anymore. Currently they are only something builders can use to taunt the other team. I mean if i make a trap whereby i trap someone with platforms and bring them into contact with 4 spikes, ....they still dont die... popup-spikes already have been slowed down and their demage is very little( .5 heart i think). Reason was knights were outraged because they got caught in traps(there is probably a historical reason why traps are called traps), and then they died.:huh?: Ever since the dmg is so low and the activation of the spike so slow, even newbies have enough time to either bomb the trap and/or slash the platforms. I think it would be good to increase the popup-spike dmg. Leave the slow activation, i like to watch enemies die.... slowly:smug:

13. SlayerSean

SlayerSean FYI: it's pronounced "seen"

Whenever I play builder and attempt to build a wall at the front to give my team more space, the only reason I notice that it falls is because my team doesn't assist. They don't try push the enemy away or protect the wall if it's under threat, and then there's the people who bomb jump off of the top of my tower, collapsing any overhangs. Forward building is only unrewarding because a fair chunk of players don't utilise teamwork. In a lot of situations, I noticed that if I even had just 1 knight waiting with my at the wall to protect it (or going forward and killing, whichever worked better) I would be able to build it up to an effective size rather quickly. Once that happens it usually isn't too difficult to keep it up and improve it. Not saying this is always the case, but I still feel that a key reason why it's so "bad" is due to a lack of teamwork.

Blue_Tiger and J-man2003 like this.
  14. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Re: "spikes should be stronger that'd make for great buildings" - compared to classic days, you have more options with spikes than you did. The retracting spikes on stone blocks are an intentional trade-off - they aren't meant to be a straight "upgrade" on wood-placed spikes. Considering they are relatively team-safe and hit repeatedly , I think the trade-off is worth it. Grandiose traps have always been more of a hindrance than a help either way in KAG (since classic), for the simple reason that bigger traps require more maintenance and can have more weak-points.

Re: "buildings are so small and boring" - very much depends on the server and the type of buildings you have. We've all had games with hardly any building and a pock-marked wreck of a map to play on, but even in the past two weeks I've had some pub games with huge, multi-tier front towers with lots of back-wall, shops, and minor decoration. Honestly I'd prefer it without the latter and more a focus on function, but I think the OP is concerned about the lack of minecrafting, haha. Gather also attracts some large towers due to needing a place to stick your siege - they tend to be much more functionality focussed though.

FuzzyBlueBaron and AcidSeth like this.
  15. dayleaf

dayleaf Haxor
    1. The Thieves Guild

I guess, OP mean he want's this
    screen-15-04-04-15-49-02.png

16. PhTechCube

PhTechCube Retarded Warlord

Its not lazy its just they only need that for the tent, the huge towers and such and such will be defending the flag, it would be pointless to have a tower defending....... Nothing :)

17. daskew87

daskew87 Legendary corpse humper Donator

The two games are very different.

KAB is a faster, higher tempo game. Building elaborate big structures doesn't well half as well, because the archer and the knight are on steroids compared to Alpha.

There's nothing wrong with Alpha though. If you want a slower paced, bigger campaign type game, then look no further.

Classic people who have a problem with Beta are unhappy because beta is almost directly taking people from their servers and putting them into beta servers instead, meaning less going on, less players in classic... Which is highly understandable, and just unfortunate for those guys, who should be sympathised with.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
    8x likes this.
  18. dayleaf

dayleaf Haxor
    1. The Thieves Guild

Classic :right: Strategy - Tactical - Teamwork Based Game
    Beta :right: Combat - Fast - Soloing Based Game

Edit: This is a general and unexact POINT OF VIEW

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  19. Tern

Tern Quickfish Donator Official Server Admin
    1. Zen - [Zen] - (Invite Only)

That's not really true at all. There are plenty of differences, but those are not among them.

Darknighte9 and Blue_Tiger like this.
  20. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Release has its own tactics, but as it's fast-paced and apparently brainless the first are not always recognizable. Things usually happen for a reason (somebody destroyed the enemy shops, somebody made a tower with a catapult on the top, somebody is farming eggs, somebody made the treefarm and everybody is spamming wooden structures plus advancing, somebody made a proper defence or a system of teleporters etc...), then that's why you win or lose a match, eventhough lonewolves can decide matches by themselves from time to time too.