1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Why I think KAG is played by bots

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CIB, Aug 8, 2011.

1. CIB

CIB Guest

For a while now, I have been wondering why most players on the KAG servers acted the way they do. Finally, I have found an explanation. They're bots!

Why do I think that? Well, there are fundamental qualities and limitations to AIs in our day and age. If the behavior of an entity can be boiled down to a simple programmatic pattern, then I can conslusively assume that we are not talking about the superior species that is the human. By this unfallible argument, I will demonstrate that your fellow KAG players are just simulations on someone's computer.

First and foremost, a simple way to tell a human apart from an AI is communication. While a basic AI can use pre-defined reactions to simple situations, such as saying "lol" when they score a kill, they are completely incapable of understanding the human thought process. Unlike humans, they can not actually understand what another is trying to say, and they are thus not capable of talking about strategy. This matches the behavior of the majority of players on KAG very well.

The other thing is that, even if an AI is programmed specifically for one game, it is often not perfect at this game. In many games, the AI is reckless and can't tell when it's in a superior position, so you can abuse choke-points to slaughter your enemies one-by-one without a problem. Other games don't let their AIs learn, leading to the problem that once you find a strategy that works, you will be able to reuse the strategy as many times as you like.

The bots in KAG are quite adept at combat, but they have two small faults that give them away. First, they are unable to consider negative consequences of opening a door. They will use doors freely, not considering if there's an enemy nearby, often allowing them to pass the door unchallenged. This has often led to unpleasant situations, where the enemy could destroy a well-protected outpost by getting a bot to open the door.

The second fault is that the Knight AI seems not to consider friendly structures. While a human being would consider using explosives near their own defensive structures suicidal, bots will use bombs even when fighting next to an allied tower. You can try this yourself, just switch to a knight and cower under an enemy tower, and you'll be able to make bots blow up their own fortification! I was able to use this fact very much to my advantage the last time I played.

So! Now that we know why most KAG players behave the way they do.. I have but one request. Bot-writers, please, please fix your bots. The two faults I mentioned are very annoying, make the game unbalanced, and it's overall no fun to have your outpost blown up because a bot opened the door. Thanks in advance x)

2. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

Nice post. Made me grin.

3. unwoundpath

unwoundpath Arsonist

Haha, this is worth more than a few giggles. :)

4. saniblues

saniblues KAG Guard Tester

requesting a sticky

5. Vania

Vania Guest

They're like lemmings.

6. dwatring

dwatring KAG Guard Tester

Conspiracy!

7. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

We can not let you know that @_@

and so he was never heard of again

8. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

The shocking truth.

Fantastic post :D

9. dwatring

He must be killed. He knows too much.

10. Garciat

Garciat Bison Rider Global Moderator

I disliked this post, tbh.

11. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Shark Slayer

Agreed. *Sharpens Axe*

12. HA1TER

HA1TER Shopkeep Stealer

+1 *Axe Africa*

13. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Too late
    His body will never be found

14. dwatring

That's because I ate him.

15. HA1TER

HA1TER Shopkeep Stealer

Fuck,i got the wrong person *spikespalm*

16. MM

MM THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I agree I need to fix those bots.

BOTS! Gather around... I'll bring my scalpel and try to fix you.

17. HA1TER

HA1TER Shopkeep Stealer

You know i HATE scalpels...right?

18. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

pfft. You could use a chainsaw and those idiots would end up better for your team.

19. Mordred

Mordred Guest

Why waste good ammunition for your catapults? Strap a bomb to their face and send them over!