1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Why on earth is everyone building ladders up towers in *** doors again?

Discussion in 'Builder' started by AnRK, Feb 9, 2012.

1. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Just wondering if anyone can enlighten me as to why this seems to now be the common method of laddering up towers opposed to the obviously much quicker and cheaper bridge, that seemed to be well accepted as the way of doing things after bridges were changed so you could jump up through them as well as down quite a while ago. Seems like almost a majority of people are doing it nowadays and I've got some right shit telling people (in a nice constructive polite way to begin with) that they're just wasting time and resources, and ultimately making towers much weaker.

2. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

Got a point... An in all honestly my 4 yr old bro is a better builder then most people.
    And the ladder thing is so annoying because you go and bomb jump... And hit the ladder three blocks in front of you -_-

AnRK likes this.
  3. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

I meant "ladder" as in a method of getting up the side of towers, but your right that's really annoying too.

4. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

Oh yes the only thing of a great annoyance with the "ladder" is if it is really tall it is really slow to get down.
    My 4 yr old bro made a great version of this type of building when on my com I will post a pic.
    He is amazing.
    And yes suddenly people are... The only thong with trap doors is that they break them and get up, but is the same with team doors.

5. sj67

sj67 Greg hunter

@AnRK

There are a lot of casuals who play this game. There are going to be at least 1 n00b per open match. Get used to it. :/

6. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

?
    Then you shouldn't be bombjumping from there.

Acavado likes this.
  7. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Already am, just can't understand where this trend has appeared from, most people didn't do it till recently, casuals/new people included . Thankfully on most servers I can get about 1 in 3 or 4 to listen to constructive criticism.

8. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Yes, the door elevators are fucking retarded and piss me off, every time I see someone doing it I call him a faggot, remove it, and make sure he really understands that he's retarded, then proceed to change it to bridges.

Omski likes this.
  9. TerryDactyl

TerryDactyl KAG Guard Tester

Luigi... that's a bit excessive. Can you please TRY to be personable?

10. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

They're much faster to climb, that's why.

Valkyrie likes this.
  11. BlueLuigi

They know what they're doing, they repeatedly do it, they know it's slow, they see bridges, remove them and do that, it's almost griefing it's so damn stupid. It's slower going up, it's slower going down and the only time it's useful at ALL is in a squeeze tunnel which if they were making I'd kick them for too.
    The people I see doing it are generally people I've played with who were doing good otherwise and using bridges in every other instance too so it makes no sense, it's the same thing as people now recently making 3 tall doors everywhere.

Froghead48 and TerryDactyl like this.
  12. TerryDactyl

It's slower going down, but it IS faster going up and harder to break than a wall of bridges.

Unless you're talking about the goddammed "elevator" made of doors. :>:(:

13. BlueLuigi

I'm talking about the elevator made of doors.

Also fastest is 2 wide with doors periodically (every 5 or so tiles), hug left and up . shit is god mode speed.

14. Drok

Drok Shark Slayer

Why? They...

- Have great speed: They are faster to climb than drawbridges. If you want to achieve a decent speed with drawbridges, you end up spending more wood than if you had used doors. Specially when they make drawbridge ladders with no space between in an attempt to compare to door ladders' speed, but wasting twice as much wood in the process.
    - Don't let the enemy in: Any skilled knight can with a simple hit turn the drawbridge into a ladder for enemies. Team door ladders are knight-proof, as they can't slash the team door while climbing. And enemy builders can't make them neutral with a single click. And don't dissapear/neutralize when a tiny catapult rock hits them.
    - Don't depend on the absence of enemies: So many times you see a builder trying to climb a drawbridge to flee from a knight. Oh, he can't, the drawbridge can't be used when enemies are near. Well, rest in peace.

That drawbridges are useful in certain situations doesn't make doors obsolete at all. For the reasons above and many others I've seen in practice I build with door ladders most of the time.

15. TerryDactyl

16. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Ooooh the teamdoor elevators.

Goddamn I hate them and I hate the people who do them. It's especially annoying in the new version since you can't get down them almost at all.

Rayne, Ej, FlameHaze3 and 2 others like this.
  17. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

That's pretty much what I was after, overall though for the extra hassle to build, the extra resources, and that on a thinner tower that extra block of stone either side makes for a bit of extra strength, it seems that in most cases that bridges are a better option. If your an epically quick builder though and can make a decent tower with them in pre-game then fair enough I guess as there's an up side, most of the time I see them been made it takes an ice age compare to sticking a few bridges on the side, if the tower is well defended when it ought to be then knocking them out shouldn't be a problem. Neither are clearly as as bad as an elevator though obviously :P

18. Acavado

Acavado KAG Guard Tester

I like building elevators in which only the left tiles, or only the right tiles, are filled with team doors because team bridges are susceptible to enemies using this glitch and double team doors don't let you go down anymore, and I need 2 tile wide tunnels pretty often for maintenance tunnels or whatever. Also archers like it.

Also I haven't encountered any door-laddering people. It's probably because I haven't been playing.

Attached Files:

Rayne and Kouji like this.
  19. Darksteel

Darksteel The see me Boulderin', they hatin'. Donator
    1. Australians United Stand Strong - AUSS - (Invite Only)

I can explain this, the three tall door thing is made because its now difficult (or impossible) to place thick blocks (Stone wall, Team door, Gold Bullion) in the square immediately above your character, whereas it is possible to place them two blocks above your character.

Note; this may just be a glitch I'm experiencing, so correct me if I'm wrong.

20. BlueLuigi

It's not hard, just move out of the fucking way.

GHOZT, mrbobmcwilly, DarkD4 and 4 others like this.