1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Why people don't make scripts for community ?

Discussion in 'Community Dev Corner' started by Leo, Jan 28, 2014.

Mods: Downburst, Mazey
  1. Leo

Leo Haxor

The only scripts I see are the ones to make customized servers and these are not published here. How about scripts that every server owner can use to help players ? For example a script for communication between irc and server ? Or statistics ? Or whatever else ? If people know soldat game they'll get what I mean. There are scripts there for any use you can think of. Seems to me scripting is not used in kag.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
    Rayne and BlueLuigi like this.
  2. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

Because with every generation the community gets dumber and dumber. The times when soldat was around were still ok. Now everyone just waits for ready things.

numpad, magnum357, Noburu and 3 others like this.
  3. MM

MM THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

When Soldat was around it was the only game people with crap computers and no money could play. So they had no choice but to mod it to have more fun :). Right now there is too much choice. Maybe you have ideas how to fix this, encourage people to do more scripting?

Noburu, BlueLuigi and -Q like this.
  4. Leo

Leo Haxor

How about if you create a sub-forum ? Something like "Scripts Requests". Then if server owners would think of something there will be a place to ask for it ::):
    *Forgot to mention that if you add any kind of script server will be flagged as modded so it's a no no I am afraid.

Klokinator likes this.
  5. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Any forum with "Requests" in the name is ignored by around 95% or more of every communities users that I've been to, because it's the place where "noobs go to beg for things". Generally, you PM a scripter or two or ten on the forums and ask them personally. If they all say no then that sucks but they're probably the only people who would do the deed anyway so asking publically won't get you better results 99% of the time.

Net Logic 101.

Noburu, -Q and Sgnt_Sneeky-Pants like this.
  6. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

Making Soldat scripts was easier (to learn).
    I think KAG isn't totally the game with custom scripts, of course there can be good mods but for instance Soldat or Counter Strike fits modding better IMO.

7. -Q

-Q Donator

You've made me realize that public forum discussion on the net is a particular case of the "principle of diffused responsibility". The fact that you're more likely to get help in an epileptic seizure in front of one person on the street rather than three. Everybody is waiting for the other guy to make the first move. I agree 100% and it is much much much more optimal to send out many private requests than to make one public one.

Behavioral Psychology 101.

Fate and Rayne like this.
  8. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I'm always blown away by this attitude, similarly with people wishing current modding was reduced to the config file tweaking of classic.

I understand that getting started is daunting, but there are literally thousands of lines of example code, and lots of self contained objects (boulder, drill, trampoline, the animals, the bush, grain, crates, explosives...) to do case studies in.

Modding in soldat is often just changing a few numbers or sprites, for the most part - and you can still do that in KAG (just change the numbers in the script or in some cases, config file). You can just go so much further with KAG modding because of how full featured the scripting is.

9. -Q

-Q Donator

Like Geti implied, the challenge is not technical, but more to the nature of the game. In Soldat, all of the different weapons had certain variables that could be changed, for various effects. Infinite ammo on the rocket launchers, increased jetpack fuel, etc. New map designs could be made easily, and the UI was configurable in an obvious manner.

On the other hand, it's not as obvious /what/ to mod in KAG. There's no real weapon system, so there's no stats to change. You could change the properties of the classes (as has been done) , but that invites imbalance. To make a real mod in KAG would involve delving into /what/ objects are in the game, and how they can be used for gameplay. /What/ classes are... so one can make a legitimately new class, not just a copy of an existing one with surface modifications. To make a real mod involves a ton of work, and then there's the chance nobody will play it... the server to player ratio is way too high for my liking.

I've tried to make scripts myself, but I always end up giving up due to the lack of documentation, and more importantly, easy tutorials with quick results. I would absolutely love a tutorial equivalent to "Hello World", that starts people out. Now that I mention it, maybe I should make a tutorial, even though I don't profess much knowledge on the subject.
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 7, 2014 ---
    A direct question: What's the quickest and surest way of testing out a mod? Do I need a server, or do I run localhost, or do I use singleplayer?

Rayne likes this.
  10. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

localhost (or remote) is required to test net issues, but singleplayer works for most things. I set up an "autostart" script so that when I start the game I dont have to click through anything to start testing.

Here's my autostart script: http://pastebin.com/0rNZtswG

I generally have it saved as customstart.as in my root kag folder, and then start kag like so:
    Code:
    kag nolauncher noautoupdate autostart ../CustomStart.as
    Don't forget to update your mods.cfg to include your shiny new mod.

11. Boea

Boea Such Beta

I just want mob entities to have more sensible physics, like alpha zombies.

12. -Q

-Q Donator

Extrapolate. Just negative acceleration and collision, or rotation a la crates too? I don't see what you mean.

13. Boea

Boea Such Beta

I think it's just the springiness between multiple mob entities (The extreme case involves many small and colliding mobs like with beta mod zombies), and not having mobs that aren't made to be significant map obstacles (which justify how they are almost constantly spewing 1.5h+ attacks).
    Past that collision-based damage is weird and naive, but I believe that is to cut down on calculations over the network at the cost of allowing vehicles (and wisten) to cause massive amounts of damage at low speeds, and when they just abrade against a damageable entities.

Since this thread is about scripts in general, I think it's allowable to talk about currently available scripts, too.
    Beta Zombies are more agile than even veteran knights, and more destructive. There is no rhyme, nor reason to their attack/aggression ai, so they constantly chew on the air, and create tornadoes of bodies near players: combat is very much unfathomable because there is no real skill possible when it comes to mitigating or avoiding damage when engaging.
    Also, unavoidable keg wraiths?
    Compared to the more benign beta zombies, alpha zombies are not greased lightning, nor a catastrophic weather event. They are simpler to fight because they don't constantly spam their attack. And when push comes to shove, they throw a tantrum. This allows zombies, and zk to manage both their numbers, and damage buildings when left alone, and aren't in a tussle with a player. Zombies only nibble at walls, and thin out laddering skeletons; zk chew through walls for a while, and knock down a group of zombies.
    As a result it is harder for alpha zombies to completely overwhelm the battlefield, and survivors with their more benign, and controlled nature.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  14. Geti

Note: we didn't make zombies and you can make non-collision based attacking (like knights, builders, etc use). Wisents are a coding abomination by MM. Vehicles are meant to crush you, and do no damage if they're moving at low velocity.

These complaints re: zombies belong in eanmigs thread, not here. The "fluid" zombies is mostly a result of them jumping off each other constantly, not box2d.

-Q likes this.
  15. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

-Q likes this.
  16. Leo

Leo Haxor

From what I see people prefer to make huge mods that totally change the game, btw these are never published here and you have to "steal" them by dl them than smaller scripts for smaller things. From my point of view, like a server owner, a server/irc/server communication system would be really helpful. Now, if a script like that flags my server as "modded" I won't install it. Developers should make something so that scripts that do not change anything in server setting's should NOT flag the server as modded in any way.

17. -Q

-Q Donator

Hell Leo, why is that? I'm not sure how one would make a mod that doesn't mod a server. As far as I know, clients download the whole directory in the mods folder, server-only utilities and all. As to the first part, I have a huge grimoire of mods in my /mods/ folder so having mod-makers upload their big ones here would be irrelevant (and tedious, since there's often rapid updates)

18. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Yes, however you should still respect what they took. For example FunCTF clearly states to not take this, that it is their work and you must ask to host it anywhere else. Generally if you ask however they will say no. In this case your only option is to 'steal' it, or write it yourself.

Noburu likes this.
  19. Leo

Leo Haxor

I have no intentions really to "steal" any mod without asking. Hosting a huge mod is not really my first priority. What I would like to see are small scripts that will make my life, as server owner, easier.

BlueLuigi and Rayne like this.
  20. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Examples of things you'd like to see might help people know what you mean.

Do you mean things like stats, easy server management, or actual features (i.e Blowjob)?

Mods: Downburst, Mazey