1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Why people don't make scripts for community ?

Discussion in 'Community Dev Corner' started by Leo, Jan 28, 2014.

Mods: Downburst, Mazey
  1. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I can only speak about my experience at some Soldat servers:

commands through which you talk to the irc (!irc hello irc users);
    !s to spectate;
    !j to join any team from specs;
    !a or !b for alpha or beta team;
    script that prevent players from changing teams if that's going to imbalance them;
    a script that autobalances teams when you type "bal" "teams" "balance" or similar;
    !help to see the server help
    !stats to see your total kills/deaths/captures etc in a specific server.

That triggered by any player by typing it; apart from those, I have no idea.
    I remember, by the way, that at Classic they had this thing with wich you could chat with players at different servers.

2. Leo

Leo Haxor

That's what I am talking about, things like that ::):

3. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

That kind of thing usually goes widely unused, as the minority who use IRC tend to be those who know what they're doing and don't really need a bot unless they want constant PUGs.

What I had in mind when I read it was either:
    A)Things like light mods that are good at working with others (i.e weather, certain blocks released seperately)

B)Things like server help, server stats, report via HTTP/web-side development.

8x likes this.
  4. 101i

101i Haxor Forum Moderator Tester

Only servers I would like to see them on is Gather.

5. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Re server stats, !commands, etc, they're all completely do-able now. It will mean your server is marked as modded, but all players are able to see modded servers after a day now and don't seem to bat an eyelid about joining the "modded" CTF, TTH etc servers, especially where the server description explains the mods.

6. Leo

Leo Haxor

I would love to have status but you need to fix the kill feed Geti because currently it doesn't work. I have reported this long time ago.

7. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

The kill feed doesn't need to be touched - hook the player kill events yourself and do your stat counting there.
    That's the fantastic thing about the very wide reaching scripting in KAG - you don't have to wait for us to fix some other tangential thing; you can either fix it yourself or work around it.

Have a look at the TDM scripts and how they count kills, or the scoreboard script. The killfeed is completely unrelated to both of them.

BlueLuigi and 8x like this.
  8. Superblackcat

Superblackcat baideist baide Staff Alumni Tester

There could be a stickied thread in which people suggest things that should be modded for the community.
    A list will be edited for the ones that seem like good ideas (Of course, I have no idea how someone can determine if it's a good idea or something).

But basically, say Leo wants an mod that connects IRC and the server. It would be posted onto the forum and, will be added to the OP. Then say Norill could come and see the thread, and work on a mod requested.

9. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

Why not a scripting contest? Would boost people to make scripts but I think we'll see always the same guys.

Starsly, 101i and BlueLuigi like this.
  10. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Let's do a mage mod scripting contest and see who can make the most unique one not using any other assets and coded completely from scratch.

11. 101i

101i Haxor Forum Moderator Tester

Contest should be who could make 'Princess class' playable o3o

Sir_Walter likes this.
  12. I would love to mod but I have 0 experience.
    Lets say I wanted to make a mod where the arrows of the archer were replaced with fish.
    Where would I start?
    Could someone give me a general direction on where to start at?

13. Superblackcat

Superblackcat baideist baide Staff Alumni Tester

Change the arrow sprite to a fish sprite?

norill likes this.
  14. Okay so I would go to the kag folder and replace the code for the arrow for the fish?

(ZERO experience!!!)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  15. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

do u know what a sprite is

Asu and Superblackcat like this.
  16. If you simply want to change the 'texture' I think only replacing the .png would do. Worth mentioning I have -1 experience on the matter.

17. ye its a 2d image or animation

18. Asu

If you wanna that an archer throw TRUE fishies, that can be cooked ( Campfire / Kitchen, yup they aren't implanted in any non-modded gamemode ), you need to modify the archer logic code. I don't really know where is the part to change, but you need to change the instance summoned. If you want your fish to hit people, or even funnier to burn them ( That gives me ideas ), you'll need to modify the fishy code. On hit blob, check if it is a player, if yes hit him / burn him, and destroy myself. Buuuut that's not for now I guess

Changing texture is modding but not coding at all.

19. so I just downloaded flashDevelopment to open .as files but the files wont show once i try to browse them

EDIT: found them
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 9, 2014, Original Post Date: Mar 9, 2014 ---
    I just done this
    archer.grapple_vel = direction * archer_grapple_throw_speed ;

to

archer.grapple_vel = direction * archer_grapple_throw_speed * 2;

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  20. Asu

Hm. There was variables to change that on the top of the file

Mods: Downburst, Mazey