1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Why wooden spikes are good.

Discussion in 'Building Critiques' started by pvt_tod, Feb 29, 2016.

?

wooden spikes YAY or NAY

1. YAY

8 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. NAY

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. There are Pro's and Con's

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. pvt_tod

pvt_tod Base Burner

i tend to build more traps than towers as builder and a lot of people criticize me when i use spikes on a wood block and they say. "they hurt our team!" but what they don't understand is how SLOW it takes for a stone spike to come out. Any BASIC knight can simply wall jump away before it gets a chance to stick out especially so if the have a higher ping. this tower below is an example on how you could use wooden spikes to your teams advantage
    Screen Shot 2016-02-29 at 6.08.15 pm.png using the trap block spike method, any blue member cannot be harmed by the spikes as the run through the door but a red player who follows would fall into the pit. why? why would he fall into the pit? because of a mechanic the all spikes have... STUN! when a player is hit by a spike it stuns him for a split-second and that prevents them from recovering mid fall, thus they fall into the pit. so tell me if this sort of idea is good. i've been using it for a while now.

Regards

Slave :builder::skeleton:

Attached Files:

joshua12131415, Bint and SirDangalang like this.
  2. SirDangalang

SirDangalang Lvl. 128 MissingNo. Donator

Critique for using on wood spikes is par for the course in un-coordinated pub matches as it's inevitable for a teammate to die on them if they don't understand the design. Along with shoddy pits with on dirt spikes ruin the reputation of well placed ones ::P:

That said I agree on their effectiveness as they are really good against wall scaling archers. The single trap block design seems solid too as I doubt a enemy builder could exploit it any more than breaking/spamming wood to disable it.

I'm still trying to learn ways where a on dirt/wood spike could be used to great effect :rekt:
    @Hospitalizer uses them to great effect with making little hurdle walls with spikes up top of the front facing side all across a map. It's an absolute pain for knights & archers to scale without :bomb: or :fire_arrow:or :hammer: which I :heart: :wink:

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  3. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Wood spikes are very useful. It's just difficult for most people to use them effectively without risking a few teammates' hearts.

@makmoud98 likes to claim ownership of the "toothbrush meta", which (in it's most basic form) looks like this:

:dirt::spikes:
    :dirt::spikes:
    :castle_wall:

( :dirt: = wood block // :spikes: = spike )

Despite being so short (at least 5 blocks), it's effective for blocking most knights from advancing. There are several variations for incorporating it into a larger structure, like putting an upside-down platform on top, placing a saw trap below, adding doors on the bottom, etc.

I usually build it in spots where enemy bomb jumpers land, because it's less likely to affect teammates there.

makmoud98 and SirDangalang like this.
  4. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

Wooden spikes in general are very useful. As a matter of fact, I prefer them to stone spikes; however, spending too much time on any forward tower is a mistake because of how overpowered the archer and Knights ability to destroy is. You spend too much time making designs and traps, and you will have lost that precious time for gaining resources and making small advancements

pvt_tod likes this.
  5. pvt_tod

pvt_tod Base Burner

ill post another tower... maybe this will be an anti archer tower? i don't know. i'll just try to make some towers that use wooden spikes effectively.

6. atthetta

atthetta Builder Stabber

Good build and good points, but in current CTF games, your build is going to get bomb rushed in seconds. If the build becomes damaged then exposed wood spikes will hurt your team and the team will suffer. Stone spikes are simply safer in the long run, and can be just as effective, or more so, with the right design. I favor stone spikes because they are "fire and forget", a liability for the enemy team and asset for your own. Wood spikes are liabilities all around.

Maybe they're good for the KD ratio of a builder, individually, but that's about it.

Final point: stone spikes are better against bomb-rushes, more survivability and less detrimental when exposed after builds are damaged.