1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Wiki Wiki Contributors needed!

Discussion in 'Forum, wiki and other THD pages' started by Wyeth, Nov 15, 2011.

Mods: dnmr, Kazaco97
  1. Wyeth

Wyeth KAG Guard Donator Tester

I think the Wiki needs more people writing articles for it, if you are able to write in proper english and have some time on your hands join us and help out.

I am sitting in IRC whenever I am home, follow this link: http://irc.lc/quakenet/kag.wiki/irctc@@@ to have some realtime chat with me and maybe others that also want to participate. If you have any questions about WHAT or HOW to write on the wiki, just jump on IRC and we will work something out.

Looking forward to meeting you!

jimmyzoudcba, SlyStalker and xChapx like this.
  2. trelawney

trelawney KAG Guard Tester

jimmyzoudcba, Rayne and dnmr like this.
  3. HA1TER

HA1TER Shopkeep Stealer

I would like to help,but i would need someone to check my English cause i did`t learn English in school and it is my 20th language lol.

4. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

Hey, there may be a little reward for the most active contributors (real contributors not some wannabes who will be doing useless changes) - probably premium account for KAG. Do your best folks! :)

5. NeoTalon27

NeoTalon27 Shipwright

would it be possible to post designs, like bridge traps, or KISS towers.

6. Wyeth

Neo Talon27: yes that is what I want to do after things get more sorted out... basically class discussion -> eventually wiki if its good enough and doesnt get outdated (structures/content)
    Also if you want to help join IRC #kag.wiki !

Hold off on it for now though, there is a LOT of outdated content on the wiki that needs attention first and introducing these "extras" will only add weight to what the people trying to structure it better do.

7. bilbs

bilbs KAG Guard Tester

Which pages/sections need major help?

8. bilbs

bilbs KAG Guard Tester

screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/6d9Zi.png

So Geti or Furai, I don't know how to add image files to the Wiki. I fixed up the contructions page, but I need an icon for stone and the images for an arrow and bomb tent.

Also, if anyone knows what breaking a bomb/tent shop block yields I could use that info as well.
    Code:
    |-
    | align="center" | [[File:ArrowShop.png]]
    | [[Arrow Shop]]
    | 12 blocks
    | '''10''' x [[File:WoodMini.png]] [[wood]] + '''10''' x [[File:StoneMini.png]] [[stone]]
    | '''90''' x [[File:WoodMini.png]] [[wood]] + '''90''' x [[File:StoneMini.png]] [[stone]]
    | '''10''' x [[File:WoodMini.png]] [[wood]] + '''10''' x [[File:StoneMini.png]] [[stone]]
    | '''?''' x [[File:WoodMini.png]] [[wood]] + '''?''' x [[File:StoneMini.png]] [[stone]]
    | 15 hits or 2 [[Bomb|bombs]]
    |-
    | align="center" | [[File:BombShop.png]]
    | [[Bomb Shop]]
    | 12 blocks
    | '''90''' x [[File:WoodMini.png]] [[wood]] + '''90''' x [[File:StoneMini.png]] [[stone]]
    | '''?''' x [[File:WoodMini.png]] [[wood]] + '''?''' x [[File:StoneMini.png]] [[stone]]
    | 15 hits or 2 [[Bomb|bombs]]

EDIT: Big edit. I figured out where some of those files were, but I couldn't find the image files for a full bomb workshop or arrow shop. Just the individual blocks.
    I also still don't know what they yield so someone else needs to fill that in.

Here's how it looks now: http://kagwiki.com/wiki/Constructions

9. Labla

Labla Shopkeep Stealer

Constructions page will be probably removed. Blocks has been updated - you can find links to Arrow Workshop, Bomb Shop and Quarters there.

Some content was merged into bigger pages - checkout classes or blocks mentioned earlier.

Wiki is much cleaner right now and I think it is more user friendly.

10. Wyeth

Join #kag.wiki that way we can easily and quickly keep each other updated on what we are working on.
    Also: which pages do NOT need major updates :D?

11. bilbs

bilbs KAG Guard Tester

The construction page should remain in-tact as a reference to everything builders can make.
    The block page is helpful, but it's not builder specific, and it's not only constructions.

12. NeoTalon27

NeoTalon27 Shipwright

13. Labla

Labla Shopkeep Stealer

But this pages hasn't reference to everything - ladders, spikes can be also constructed by builder.

Main problem right now is that information is fragmented very heavily. Same content is used on multiple pages - compare Construction page to Arrow Shop page. This only makes harder to update content.

To avoid this I cross-linked Blocks page with particular pages e.g. when table is updated in Bedrock page it's automatically updated also in Blocks page.

Wyeth suggested that we should split everything into two main categories: Blocks and Objects by properties - e.g. Objects are movable and so on. I support this idea, because this way we will get better reference pages than we currently have.

14. bilbs

bilbs KAG Guard Tester

What if the constructions table (currently the constructions page) were to be moved to the builder page?

15. Labla

Labla Shopkeep Stealer

I further decoupled data from styling, so we can reuse same data for different tables on different pages with different style (a lot of different usage :)). Right now if someone is willing to change data tables, he should look into: http://kagwiki.com/wiki/Category:Data

I also merged Tend and Capture the Flag pages into Gameplay: http://kagwiki.com/wiki/Gameplay

illu, Shadlington, dnmr and 1 other person like this.
  16. Labla

Labla Shopkeep Stealer

We cleaned up most of the wiki - removing obsolete articles, merging smaller chunks into bigger articles and so on.

Constructions are back as as part of Objects (we reused data from tables, so it was pretty simple task to do): http://kagwiki.com/wiki/Objects#Constructions

dnmr created new information boxes for articles (once again using data from tables I mentioned in previous post), I just fine tuned them. Wyeth came up with idea of rolling up update history into a frame. Good example of some changes is this article: http://kagwiki.com/wiki/Catapult

Still, some content is missing, other articles are in very bad shape, but we're heading in right direction I think.

Wonkyth, Shadlington and trelawney like this.
  17. illu

illu En Garde! Donator Tester

You probably already discovered it if you read the "How to Contribute" box on the front page, but still - if you wanna help out with the wiki, these three categories hold all the pages which still need some more care:

18. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

When writing pages, should we use an objective wording, or should we write them "in character"?
    Also, is it appropriate to use second person ("You"), or should we stick to "he/she" or "the character"?

19. dnmr

dnmr Ministry of ban Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

objective wording i guess. And phrase things like "one should blah blah" instead of "you should blah blah". Just like on any other sane wiki

20. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

The spanish homepage was godawful broken. It took me about 15 minutes to root out all the spam and bad coding.
    In general, all of the alternate language pages are not maintained well.

Mods: dnmr, Kazaco97