1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Will Steam Workshop be available for KAG?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Razzey, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Razzey

Razzey Builder Stabber

Because it would be nice if players would be able to contribute by making maps and new awesome hats, like TF2 has the option!

Why I ask?

2. VanHuek

VanHuek KAG Guard Tester

It definitely will not be at first and it may not because the game won't only be on Steam and there will be a lot of people who are not with Steam playing KAG. There is always a chance but it has not been decided/nor looked at yet.

3. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

We've not discussed it formally as a team but I'm personally hesitant to include Workshop as we have plans for a custom system for distributing user-generated content that is available for both steam and non-steam players and would make Workshop superfluous.

Arcrave likes this.
  4. Razzey

Razzey Builder Stabber

Also, will we, the Premium players, get a Steam Key for the game?

5. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

You probably won't need one, as steam is, in this case, just another distribution platform. You can still play it on the outside client.

6. Lieber

Lieber Is Probing Uranus Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

But what if we DO want to play it on Steam? I would want to get achievements (if included) and track my game time.

7. VanHuek

VanHuek KAG Guard Tester

It is possible this will be integrated, re achievements. Game time definitely will be.

8. goodyman8

goodyman8 Bison Rider

Wouldn't it be easier if they did it like some free games on steam?
    So that you use your KAG account when steam launches kag.
    That way they could publish it on steam while not having to give out steam codes to existing players.

9. VanHuek

VanHuek KAG Guard Tester

They won't necessarily be giving out steam codes to existing players and the free game and the premium game will be completely different. Currently what you can play is KAG Classic and that will be available for everyone and KAG 1.0, beta, will be what is being sold on Steam.

10. Iamaclay

Iamaclay Shark Slayer

Yeah steam would be cool but I probably won't use it as I like the outside client esp. since game time and stuff will be integrated. Steam = annoying for me.
    I don't mind if you don't answer all :B):

Questions for 1.0:
    1. Will there be an integrated friends system?
    2. Will classic be playable through the same client?
    3. Will the current (amazing :D) title music remain?
    4. Will I still be able to play by copying program files (w/o install) as I mostly play at home on school laptop (no admin)

11. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

You are supposed to learn at school. Bad kiddie.

Froghead48, link6155, Razzey and 6 others like this.
  12. Iamaclay

Iamaclay Shark Slayer

I play at home on a take home school laptop. Besides the school internet proxy stops me from logging on anyway. ;)

Also: playing games at school is stupid. Forces you to do all the work at home or fail exams.
    Besides a KAG session is best played when you're focused (at school you have to watch out for teachers) and have a HD monitor.:)

Galabranth likes this.
  13. If workshop does go through, filtering the offensive stuff would be a hassle for the devs, so I agree with Geti.
    On an unrelated note:
    Clay, you have school laptops? What.

14. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Shark Slayer

I don't think the devs will be the only ones moderating the workshop if it happens.
    To continue your unrelated note:
    I have a laptop I'm allowed to borrow from my university w/ admin privileges.

15. Iamaclay

Iamaclay Shark Slayer

Steam workshop = superfluous as Shad said. Integrated content is much better since a lot of people will still use the client w/o steam.

Yeah for school we do a rental system where we pay $200 a year and rent laptops that we use in class. If you pay you can take the laptop home. You can just opt to borrow a laptop every morning from the library but you can't take it home.
    They restrict everything on our computers. We can't even delete desktop shortcuts although we can at least install Chrome and Firefox, PLUS they come pre-loaded with Adobe Master Suite CS5.5 and now CS6 :)
    The only way to play games or run other programs that aren't installed is to go "portable".

16. Azuroth

Azuroth Builder Stabber
    1. Angels of Death - [AoD]

The integrated content could be included in the KAG client for less hassle right? Unlike Steam, it easier to manage.

Galabranth likes this.
  17. Shadlington

Yes that is the plan. This won't be available immediately after full KAG is released because its quite a large project and I won't be starting it till I'm done with this semester of uni, but once its done you'll never need to download mods through an external service - for clients it'll all be in the client and for servers it'll be a simple matter of making a small change to a config file (specifically adding a mod's unique identifier to a list of active mods).

Incidentally I'll be posting details at some point over the next couple of weeks in the community dev forum as I intend to have a public consultation over the proposed system. I don't mind answering simple questions until then, but don't bother getting into details with me until I've posted the full plan - though feel free to speculate amongst yourselves :)

Razzey and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  18. Shadlington