1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

WTF??!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ranged66, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

Oh my god, make archer zombies run really fast! That would be scary stuff!

I love the sound of all of this!

2. archont

archont Shopkeep Stealer

I demand more free entertainment damnit!

A recommended view: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWMBeLrZoyw

The relevant part is not to split the playerbase.

The shareware model of having 1/3 of the game free to play with the rest being beyond a paygate is an old and not the most effective model. The free players don't know what they're missing out on. A lot of modern games emphasize the new approach: If you don't have the DLC then you simply can't use the weapons available in it, but the players you're playing with can.

I'd suggest a different approach. Apart from premium-only and demo-only servers have the majority of servers be hybrid ones. There demo players could see all the cool stuff the paying players can do and even perhaps utilize premium items if picked up. But not buy/use them outright as a paying player.

3. Neat

Nooooooo.

Game advantages to premium players + versus game =

GAME DIES.

This is speaking as a premium player too.

4. archont

archont Shopkeep Stealer

And why exactly?

5. MrKaputtnik

MrKaputtnik Shopkeep Stealer

This whole 'new modes and weapons n shizz' stuff for premium sucks either way, customization is enough for premium(few more weapons maybe). It's MM, many people pay it as a donation, not a pre-order.

AND IMPLEMENT MORE PAYING OPTIONS NAO

6. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Whilst I have always been against giving premium players an advantage, this *could* be a good idea.
    If servers had 3 states - free, premium and hybrid - but the creation of hybrid servers was limited (is there any way it can be limited only to official-run servers?) then this could be very nice.
    Then we could run 'taster' events every now and then in which free players get to see what they're missing out on.

Valkyrie likes this.
  7. Neat

Players who don't pay begin to lose respect in the devs and there is usually a backlash.

Maybe, maybe, if the game succeeds in a really big way, and there is enough people playing to sustain itself, it might work, but otherwise, customisation is enough for free players to see what the premium people are getting. They're more likely to pay if the game they play isn't influenced by premiums owning their ass.

If the cool stuff you mean is non ingame advantage then I completely agree, hybrid servers would work.

Personally though if I was getting an ingame advantage for my money i'd stick to gold servers for it to be fair, but maybe that's just me. What would everyone else do?

8. DNightingale

DNightingale Shipwright

I wouldn't mind having only one game mode for free KAG, what I meant is that I hoped it wasn't CTF, because I think CTF doesn't fit well enough with the nature of the game to be the default game for all the free player base.

And believe me, this game is worth well over 10 dollars, it just happens to be that I'm from a "third world" country and while I'm middle class and money is not too much of an issue, I don't have a credit card (I'm just a student) so I can't make payments over the Internet *sad face*.

9. Chosen

Chosen Shopkeep Stealer

Personally, I think segregation wouldn't be much of a problem, as long as these two conditions are met...
    1. Gold features are only available at Gold servers, or there are special servers in which everyone is equal (at non-gold level).
    2. Other payment options are possible.

10. Neat

Free servers: Both are allowed, golds get customisation.
    Hybrid servers: Both are allowed, golds get customisation. So long as there is 1 gold player on each team for 5 minutes, gold can also build gold buildings; for the sake of it being fair.
    Gold servers: Only gold players allowed, all free and gold features present.

Hows that? Hybrid servers wouldn't give gold players an unfair advantage, but it would allow them to build what they could usually do on gold servers, provided the enemy team has the exact same chance to (with the other gold player on the other team). They wouldn't be allowed to use upgraded or different weapons from normal though, as that is stepping into golds having a real unfair advantage.

This also allows free players to see a lot of what they are missing, and still hang out with gold people, thereby not segregating the two sides.

11. bilbs

bilbs KAG Guard Tester

Holy shit no.
    I have faith that these guys wouldn't make that mistake, as they've already chosen the smarter path. But shit...do people really like this system? I thought it was a pretty solid consensus between gamers that this kills the game.

12. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Paid players aren't going to get an in-game buff ever as far as I'm concerned and I'm pretty sure MM feels the same. There'll be free servers, which can run only the vanilla game-modes and free content, and paid servers which can play whatever game-mode code they want and use all the game's content.

Other payment options might happen but holy crap how hard is it to get a paypal account, credit or debit card? I'm an 18 year old student, have had a debit card for 2 years and a paypal account roughly since my 18th birthday. Talk to your bank, you can use debit cards online the same as a credit card without the issue of racking up a huge bill (as the money comes out of your account immediately -> no money = declined). You can also get prepaid credit cards in some countries. Setting up phone payments would likely be fairly expensive for us. We might consider a reseller that would support phone payments but they'd have a fat markup due to the reseller's fee.

Anyone saying the payments are a donation is mistaken. The paid accounts pay for mine and Michal's food and bills, so it's not like we can afford to release everything for free, and that's the reality of the matter.

13. Neat

I'm fine with how the premium works in any way. I was merely suggesting some way hybrid servers could work without it being unfair. I plan on playing on free servers even when gold servers come out, likely there will be more big f2p servers than gold ones anyway.

14. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Re: hybrid - indeed, and I think your solution has been the best inthusfar, but i'm very hesitant to even think of adding that because it still gives free players an opportunity to cry UNFAIR P2WIN GHEY. Obviously we don't really want to cater to the kind of people who get upset by us looking after our customers, but we also don't want the forums flooded with QQ either.
    Re: more big f2p servers - Hahah, not if we have anything to do with it (see: no free access to zombies). I'm glad some vets will be playing free servers too though.

15. Neat

Big gold servers? Now THAT I want to see. 32 people who actually have a head on their shoulders.. At least some kind of head anyway. That will be hella fun.

16. Geti

Feel free to organise that sort of thing happening as it is. Passworded servers are also an option for those with friends who don't own a copy of the game.