1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

YOU got RID of CAVE darkness? no, no, no..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flipperz, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flipperz

flipperz Shopkeep Stealer

Cave darkness was a good part of the game, you got rid of that now so many traps will fail that require darkness, not to mention invasion tunnels, you ruined an important part of the game which will forever be lost.

Things now lost.

-underground castle invasions
    -Hiding when enemies are coming your way.
    -Hidden spike traps
    -hidden underground bases
    -Easier enemies invasions
    - no chance for stealth in war.

I could have put up with the new physics that will be added, but not this. this is one of the worst updates the kag devs have implemented

soulrealm likes this.
  2. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

Read more carefully. It has been removed only for non-gold servers. Anyway, one couldn't use there lanterns, so what's the point?

3. flipperz

That seems a little unfair, I'm gold and all but why? i mean i know you guys need cash to develop kag and all but making darkness p2p? just seems a little unjustified...

4. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Because Lanterns.

edit: it has nothing to do with "money"

allknowingfrog likes this.
  5. flipperz

Ruins the f2p play everyone loves when they join, ¬_¬ imagine if this came up one day

"Archer is now gold, upgrade to gold now and unlock special abilities for a limited time only!"

soulrealm likes this.
  6. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Not even close to the same thing.

You can't see shit in the darkness in free mode. In gold you have lanterns to light up the darkness. Darkness with no lights is OP. You should seriously consider putting more thought into your statements.

7. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I like classic lighting better...

8. flipperz

I have put more thought into this than you, lanterns are op, kag has had that lighting system for so long and its been sucesfull, to remove one of the best features is just wrong.

you assume i'v put no thought into this but i have no one need'd lanterns because they knew how to notice things, like the dust from someone landing on the ground, an idiot enemies team member who is typing, someone dumb enough to make beds under the enemies castle, lanterns spoil the hiding aspect of kag, you have put no thought into you're post kouji, since you're only ability is to say "lantern"

The kag players have survived without a care for lanterns all this time and they would have continued too if it wasn't for this update.

soulrealm likes this.
  9. Kouji

>Lanterns are OP

okay. you win. Your logic is infallible.

10. SpideY

SpideY Hear Me Roar Staff Alumni Donator

Kouji, really.

There are just few gold servers atm.
    Most popular servers are non gold. Pubbers love to make tunnels thanks to darkness. Imo, its one of the best tips for the gameplay of kag.

Flipperz was right with all these points really...

soulrealm, BlauweSmurf, Cpa3y and 2 others like this.
  11. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

The thing is. The thing is. The thing is.

Darkness is intended to pair with lanterns. That's why quarters come with built in light sources, that's why there are even light sources in the game. If you can't make individual lanterns, like in the Classic mode, there is no point having darkness as it has been around.
    Previously, the original shadow system worked just fine, if not better for the Classic element. You can still tunnel, it's just it becomes the good ol' hectic atmosphere that players were used to. It genuinely is better when playing on the non-gold servers.

Now, you put forward several things that were lost due to the update. Let's just go through these gently but firmly, shall we?

Underground castle invasions / Enemies invasions - I'm pretty sure you can still dig underground. On Classic servers you can see tunnels progress on maps. It's never really been a secret tactic, and even then it is still possible.
    Hidden spike traps - I'll admit, you can't hide spikes as you used to underground, but this isn't a conclusive blow to the gameplay. Most of the time, the Classic players simply use pits, which are easy to avoid anyway. On Gold servers, this will be entirely unaffected, especially considering Gold players are generally more committed to the game, and learn this sort of trap.
    Hidden underground bases - Again, I refer to the point that, on classic servers, there is a goddamned map. Nothing is really hidden, because it all shows up on the map.
    Hiding / Stealth - This is something particularly dear to my heart. In Classic KAG, you can only loosely define stealth. Anything built 'stealthily' can be seen on the map, buildings and tunnels. Moving about causes great clouds of dust visible on the surface. You have always had to be skilled to be stealthy. And you still can be.
    You see, before the lighting update, I still thrived as a stealthy player. Archers in particular can hide in the slight shadow in corners by lying down, in trees, and in corpses. If you are complaining about stealth when it was bloody easy, come back and complain again when you've mastered it whilst it is stuck on 'bloody normal' mode!

Please, please, please don't give me or anyone else shit on how unfair it is to remove premium lighting from the Classic version of KAG. It is entirely fair. That's why there is a distinct seperation between Premium and Classic. If players want the lighting that all the newfags have gotten used to on the Classic servers, then they can buy the game.

Stevedog, Canadian98, Beef and 6 others like this.
  12. flipperz

Underground castle invasions/ enemies invasions I never use mini map, and i don't know of many people who actually do, it doesn't work properly example. make a base over ground and the mini map shows it in mid air.

Hidden spikes when enemies walks over a trap door underground they will fall into a pit and get damaged, this has been lost.

hidden underground bases, again not many people use mini maps, and even then you can't see anything properly.

hiding / stealth use you're brain i don't mean archers, I'm talking about all class's this has been lost for them.

I hate the classic lighting system, and anyone who joined in the recent lighting era will hate it too, we loved the dark tunnels and you took that away from us. - referring to none gold.

And the reason i played so much on none gold servers IS BECAUSE there were no lanterns, there was no way to notice you when you're hiding under the enemies. -standing still and not typing.

And it is NOT premium lighting, it was in free for as long as i can remember, if you intended to make it premium you SHOULDN'T have given it to free in the first place, just to take it away from them leaving them with a dull version of kag.

soulrealm likes this.
  13. Hella

Firstly, I use my mini-map. It's always there for people to use. If you don't use it, then it's entirely your loss. It is there for a reason.

Secondly, you can still fall into a pit underground. The spikes don't necessarily have to be hidden or not.

Thirdly, I don't know about how you play, but I've always had no problem with stealth underground. Just practice and get good at it, complaining never gets you anywhere.

Finally, and this is an important point: if you don't use your mini-map to search for hidden bases or attack tunnels, and know of few people who do, then they're still hidden, right? If that is the case, then why the hell are you complaining about that? By your logic, hidden bases are still hidden until you can see them on-screen, in which case they wouldn't have been hidden anyway!

The developers always intended that lighting to be premium only. If you played Classic to escape from lanterns, then that was like moving to Botswana to escape from spoons. They're still there, but they may not be evident in as much force as other, more privileged places.
    Don't go crying when the update catches up to you.

Arcite, Stevedog, Canadian98 and 5 others like this.
  14. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

from what i can see tunnels can be seen even if they are closed off from the rest of the map amirite?

Arcite likes this.
  15. Hella

Yup, GT. That's how the original lighting system worked.

Arcite likes this.
  16. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

its sort of sad it works that way for classic non gold. completely ruins tunnels, only possible way to counter is build very deep tunnels

17. Hella

I've got to say that I felt it worked perfectly well in the original; rather than covering up troop movements and letting people work alone for hours in secret to everyone. Since there is the power to see the sneaking little buggers, it becomes less efficient to try and attack alone, whilst players are driven below ground in order to carry out the defence they can actually see needs happening.

Having said that, the revert seems to have made the underground a little too bright, so that it merely is a reflection of the lighting on the surface.

18. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Hidden tunnels is an awful mechanic. Holding down right click for 20 minutes is no fun for the diggers and no fun for the people who lost because they didn't have someone sitting at camp 24/7. You can still attack by tunnels just fine; people did it before darkness and you can do it again now. But instead of just being "no one checked now we win" people can launch counter tunnels and there's interesting play.

Stevedog, Beef, dnmr and 4 others like this.
  19. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Ballista Bolt Thrower

I approve of this reversion.

Arcite likes this.
  20. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

Darkness was meant to go together with lanterns.
    And no - there will be never special perks for premium users to get advantage over normal players in classic servers like weapons dealing more damage. Never.
    EOT. I'm locking this.

Canadian98 and WarrFork like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.