1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[ZCM]Zombie Challenge Mode

Discussion in 'Game modes' started by Yihka, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Yihka

Yihka Shopkeep Stealer

Even though there are already a few modifications, Zombie Challenge Mode will make the game harder right from the start.

Description:
    At first, my plan was to make it so that on start the game will be easy but over time it'll get harder. Think of better creatures that can destroy more. Even though this is possible, it doesn't work nicely ( You can't really control what's spawning )

Because of that, I changed this to something that makes it hard right from the start, plus mobs can dig now. So you're not safe anymore. Yes, this does mean you're safer underground than above-ground but since everythings costs more, you'll need wood which can only be found above ground. That means you need to make sure you keep everything safe. If you don't, they'll dig massive holes anyway.

Features for this mode:
    -All building materials unlocked for builder
    -Every mob will be able to destroy certain blocks.
    -Almost every block can be destroyed, apart from gold blocks and the hard-blocks. Those can only be destroyed by wraiths as of now.
    -Game starts just before it becomes night, giving you less time to actually build up a base.
    -Days last 3 minutes.
    -Mobs will be seperated within 2 actors, "Easy" and "Hard". They both spawn in Challenge-mode. "Hard" mobs do not spawn as much as "easy" mobs. Expect them to have more health and able to destroy more.
    -Custom game-mode folders and files, so it doesn't overwrite the default files.
    -A new map generator that makes stone and gold more scarse.
    -Gold will only be safe if the block is undamaged. This is to prevent a player using 20 gold to make 5 blocks of gold.
    -Everything is more expensive, especially wood-related buildings.

Todo:
    -Unknown variable "5" In Zombie_Room_Challenge.cfg
    -Make diffculty more stable ( It only works well with more people or NPC's spawning. )

Note: this post will change over time as I'm working on this game-mode. So do not hesitate to look at this post numerous times a day, as I am updating it as I go.

Release V1:

There are around 2 bugs I couldn't find ( You'll see them in the console ) but the game works just fine. You start before midnight and all kinds of mobs spawn. It is up to you to survive. Skeletons can dig and destroy wood, zombies can destroy stone and a few zombie knights can destroy gold. Are you able to survive? Since everything costs a fortune, you'll need to get wood to be able to build everything. Camping underground is probably the safest option until you have enough resources.

How to install:

1. Open Zombiemode_Challenge.rar
    2. Open the folder Zombiemode_Challenge
    3. Drop the folder "Base" into your KAG Folder.
    4. It's now installed! Just run it on a server and it'll work. Note that wooden structures only work on a golden server.

Attached Files:

inactive_account likes this.
  2. goodyman8

goodyman8 Bison Rider

Considering the amount of skeletons making them destroy EVERY tile is tad bit OP.

3. Yihka

Yihka Shopkeep Stealer

Skeletons won't destroy everything. Skeletons can only destroy dirt and minerals, in my current test-version.

I'm wanting to make it that after XX days another mob can spawn which can destroy certain blocks

So after 2 days, mobs will spawn that can destroy wood.

After 5 days, mobs will spawn that can destroy stone

After 8 days, mobs will spawn that can destroy gold.

Note: This is just an example. It may differ from the outcome as I'm going to calculate everything and go with what feels right.

Stone will be scarse and gold will be even more scarse, which makes you use wood on the beginning, while trying to find stone. If you find too less stone in 2 days, your whole fortress it pretty much doomed if you don't protect it well enough.

The game starts just before it becomes night, so it'll be hard to make a fortress on the beginning. So far the current best strategy is to go underground and seal it off with wood. The skeletons do dig but aren't smart enough to actually dig to you.

My vision on Zombie mode says: Structures you make should ALWAYS be stronger than dirt / minerals. That way staying above ground can be a good option. Currently you just go underground and you're safe for the rest of the game. I want to eliminate that by making sure every block you see on the map can eventually be destroyed.

Late-Game will spawn Zombie Knights that are really strong ( That way people will actually fear them ). It's survival mode, players should die no matter how they play and I want to achieve that with this game-mode.

Surviving on itself it boring. Surviving with a challenge makes it fun.
    </br>--- merged: Jun 15, 2012 11:09 AM ---</br>

Public alpha test

I'm going to open it for public soon, to see how it will go online.

This will be a two hour+ test, to see whatever I still need to change.

I'm sure it will be buggy as hell but if anyone wants to report back here to say what they think needs to be changed, it'll be appreciated. Expect it to be open from 15min from now. Just need to tweak the portals and gamemode time and it'll be ready for public testing ( I hope others can join me. )

Server is open!

Name: [TEST] Zombie Challenge-Mode
    IP: 94.208.128.235

Link: kag://94.208.128.235:50301 ( Link doesn't seem to work )

Hope others can join too.

Changed:
    -Diffculty is higher on beginning
    -Monsters now need less diffculty
    -Thick Stone can now be destroyed
    -Wood blocks can now be destroyed properly
    -Zombie knight can no longer destroy dirt and such

I decided to keep it open as long as my pc is on, so others can test whenever they want.
    </br>--- merged: Jun 17, 2012 8:33 AM ---</br>
    Game mode release. It's probably not perfect but it's a start. I found it challenging enough to be released.

4. CoD

CoD Haxor

Where is it hosted?

5. Yihka

Yihka Shopkeep Stealer

Ah, changed the server information. See top post. Just search for ZCM and you'll be able to find it in the server browser.

6. Nananas

Nananas Bison Rider

Challenging for sure! (But extremely hard on your own)
    Made a screenshot of me, trying to survive more then 2 days.. But after like 15 seconds... this happend X3:
    [​IMG]
    ...Zombies suddenly spawned... RUUUNN!!! :migrant:

But I can imagine how it would be with more people. :thumbs_up:

Yihka likes this.
  7. Yihka

Yihka Shopkeep Stealer

screen-12-06-19-18-42-42.png

A simple base made when we were with 8 players. As you can see it was already kind of destroyed by wraits. We died soon after

screen-12-06-19-19-41-50.png

Another base, it started out as an underground base ( with a tree farm ) and expanded into a big base with archer outposts. Once players made big holes at the zombie spawnpoints we're pretty safe for the rest of the game.