1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Zombie Gamemode - Alpha Testing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Danikah, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Danikah

Danikah Guest

Greetings, delicious humans!

I decided to publish a gamemode I made, called "Zombies!".
    - The survivors - the blue team - have roughly 5 minutes to build their fortress before the zombies begin to attack.
    - The survivors have limited units left, so be careful not to die!
    - The zombies - red team - have blatantly high health, but they can only choose one class.
    - The survivors win if they manage to stay alive for a predefined time. The zombies win if all survivors are dead, and the survivors have no units left.
    - Wave spawning for the two teams. If the zombies surround your spawn, you can still fight back if you're skillful.

After a successful testing, I can proudly state that this gamemode is complete. However, there are still problems with it, but that's not my fault. I hope.

There's one critical problem:
    !!! After every game, you MUST load a new (or the same) map. The timer goes into negative, making the match start and stop suddenly, then repeats it. !!!
    You must also do that after the very first game. As there are no players at that time, the game will set the timer to 0.

Installation guide:
    - Navigate to "KAG\Base\Rules" folder.
    - Place the rar there, and right click on it.
    - Select "Extract to Zombies\".
    - Delete the Zombies.rar if you wish.

Running it on a server:
    - Navigate to "KAG\Base\Scripts" folder.
    - Open the "autostart.gm" or the "dedicated_autostart.gm" with a simple text editing software (NOT MICROSOFT WORD OR SUCH).
    - Change this line:
    Code:
    global start = 0;
    To this:
    Code:
    global start = 1;
    - Change this line:
    Code:
    LoadRules("Rules/CTF/gamemode.cfg");
    To this:
    Code:
    LoadRules("Rules/Zombies/gamemode.cfg");
    WARNING: This will make you instantly start a server with Zombies gamemode. If you want to start up normally (in the menu), set "global start" back to 0.
    If you want to start up instantly with CTF (or other gamemode), change the "Rules/Zombies/gamemode.cfg" part to "Rules/CTF/gamemode.cfg" (or "Rules/Sandbox/gamemode.cfg" or anything.)

Link:
    http://www.2shared.com/file/5a-c5qlo/Zombies.html

2. kiro

kiro Garde KAG Donator Tester

I'll try it as soon as my serveur will be ready, it sounds epic ! Thanks :)

Btw, can we create new classes ? I'd be nice if zombies couldn't use their shield :D

3. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Will go there when a server is up 8)

4. Danikah

Danikah Guest

Wrote the installation guide.

I can add as many classes (or teams) as I want, however, they'll all be knights or archers or builders.

5. Im_a_Turtle

Im_a_Turtle Arsonist

is the server up yet? i'd love to play this

6. Danikah

Danikah Guest

Did anyone got so far to try it? I want some feedback.

7. czubai

czubai KAG Guard Tester

If I got it right, it's basically just a KAG game with a team of knights vs a team of every class. To be honest I don't think anyone would want to play that.. Especially with no dedicated tileset.

Either go the L4D way = very powerfull survivors (1HKO on every zombie, high hp, possibly can't respawn), a constant crowd of AI zombies + special classes on the zombies side. Could be interesting, being a 'zombie digger' for example, making paths for the horde. ;) Or lurking in the crowd with some long-range class.

Or at least just make the zombies AI controlled.

8. Danikah

Danikah Guest

The problem with this post is:
    1. I can't make the client download a tileset and use it.
    2. I can't control which team the bots will choose.
    3. If I would put in some other classes, it would be simply TDM mode or the classic mode.
    4. You gave me a great idea I'm gonna try.

Soo... I'll see what can I do.

9. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

Make all zombies stuck as builders only (should be possible) and i'm wondering whether its also possible to make builders be able to harm knights again. Then it would be perfect. High health, but no defense and weak attack zombies, who respawn. Besides builders look the most like zombies anyway, it would allow them to break your defenses.

10. Danikah

Danikah Guest

The builder zombies would be possible, but I cannot make them harm knights. I could however remove the knight from the blue team, and place in a builder with more health or such. I also cannot make them unable to collect materials, as nearly everything is coded inside the game, not outside in a file.

I tried attaching a zombie sprite to the zombies, but guess what? The game determines by name what sprite it will choose. And if it doesn't know a name, it will use the builder sprite and abilities instead.

11. Neat

Have everyone on the survivor team stuck as either builders or archers, zombies would be stuck as builders. Can you lower the attack output of the zombie builder but make his health much higher and also maybe lower his movement speed. As for collecting resources, make a map where there is only dirt or bedrock on one side and spawn all zombies on that side and it fixes the resource collection issue. I'm not sure what you can do about disabling them from building anything.

Another alternative is to have the outer edges of the map as bedrock or dirt so that zombies can spawn both sides of a survivor "town" and they have to build up their defenses. Archers act as the snipers and builders can also attack with their melee weapon.

12. Danikah

Danikah Guest

Actually, if I make a map with dirt and bedrock, what will the survivors build their fortresses with?
    And If I give them resources, the zombies can loot the corpse.

How could they spawn on both sides? I don't understand.

13. Neat

Not the whole map would be bedrock or dirt. Only the side where the zombies spawn.

Also i'm saying if you had the tent for the survivors in the middle of the map, i'm not entirely sure whether that's possible or not because i'm not good with config stuff. But you could at least have one side of the map as bedrock and the other has your stone and building materials and such.

14. czubai

czubai KAG Guard Tester

I realise what I suggested is not possible yet, at least without some hard coding, but I'm sure the dev team will add some great mod support features that will make it possible, so I'm giving you some suggestions for the future.

15. Danikah

Danikah Guest

Ah. That would be possible.

Oh, ok.

16. Neat

Um I didn't write that second quote by the way, that was cz.

17. Danikah

Danikah Guest

Lol, sorry, I was copypasting the qoute part :D

18. kiro

kiro Garde KAG Donator Tester

I did everything you said, it doesn't work on my server, it just loads the CTF.

19. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

For what it's worth, we're going to add an official zombies game-mode at some point :)

20. AHrEJl

AHrEJl Shopkeep Stealer

Any zombies sprites? Need for my roleplay event )))

g-test.info server now testing zombies mod