1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Bw Mapping Challenge

Discussion in 'Old Events/Giveaways/Contests' started by daskew87, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Monkey_Feats

Monkey_Feats Bison Rider Tester

Hey everyone, Just so you know I am running some of your maps on my server as well. The server is called "Aus Parkour Server" atm.

daskew87 likes this.
  2. daskew87

daskew87 Legendary corpse humper Donator

LEADERBOARD POST

Wooooo ::P:

leaderboard.png
    Note: Redshadow's map - Challenge 2 has been rescored again from 7.8 to 8.

Scores & Reviews

-Map by @TheFlare

Assault Course 1 - 6.9 (would be 7.5 if shorter + more defined)
    assaultcourseflare1.png
    This is a good honest skill testing map. Clean, clear and the difficulty level in the individual challenges is spot on - not too easy, or too hard.

The issue I have is it is too long. Because it is so long, it is too hard. However, the score is only marked down by this (and lack of section definition) by 0.5 points, so it is still a fairly strong 6.9.

I would like to mention a finer detail here: The second water jump in challenge 4 in my opinion is too tricky. A lot of players will make their way for a while to get to that point, and fail because it's such an "on the margins" jump to make that is vastly harder than the previous water jump. They won't have much opportunity to practice it either because it's pretty far out. It comes accross like a random piece of game-destroying.

The sections of the level really need to be defined more clearly. Some of them I'm unsure where they begin and the previous one ends. Also I believe some extra work could be done to further increase the neatness and uniformity of the level. However this is not really bad with this one.

Back to some of the positives; I like some of the slick ideas presented. The one-way grappling section has not been seen before in this competition. Also the final challenge has a nice big climactic finish with a troublesome jump into a pool, good stuff.

I hope Flarrel makes another one because it is clear he has decent natural talent for this.

-Map by @Redshadow6

Challenge 3 - 7.6

challengebyredshadow3.png
    Redshadow said he was just noodling around with some ideas for this creation. It does seem a little like it was constructed in this way. I don't feel an overall theme to it. The challenges are well defined from each other, but I would argue don't go together perfectly. Having said this, for just experimenting this is a great product.

I really appreciate the traps inside of the trees - this is pretty cool and gives the level an edge. I also like the clever dark maze with platforms, my favourite part in this map.

The other challenges are on the whole quite neatly put together, and also there is good diversity present here.

What would improve this map is a big finish. I kind of think it's lacking that.

Overall it's showing a lot of promise as to the user's map-making skills and creativity. But I just don't feel that engrossed with the level; it seems to lack an excitement factor, although technically made very well. Having said that, 7.6 is a very good score and if redshadow makes another one with the preciseness and range (in this map) + a cool general theme (like with his previous map), he could score big. Close to a 9.

-Map by @Blue_Tiger

Gay Arrow Ladders - Unrated
    Gay Arrow Ladders.png
    For the time being I cannot mark this as I am unsure how 1 of the challenges works. Looks interesting though. To be continued..

-Maps by @malfunction

Laste - 8.5
    !NEW COMPETTION LEADER!
    laste.png
    The best map submitted so far.

When I had a few goes at this one I was actually shocked about how fun I found it. It's so impressively dynamic in places I almost couldn't believe how ingenius the design is.

Check out challenges 4 and 5. These are two of the best in all the maps submitted at this point. In fact I would go so far to say challenge 5 is possibly the best map aspect created by anyone yet. It's worth celebrating. Look at this:
    challengepart.png
    From my understanding you must keep grappling away from the spiked wall, whilst shooting at the trap-blocks below. Really innovative. Again, I couldn't actually believe at first it was this clever.

To find a flaw, and indeed to struggle somewhat; I didn't like challenge 3 as much as the rest. It felt like filler without much of an indentity. Heck, it's still decent though.

In summary, the reason for the 8.5 is because each challenge going from one to the next is really lively and inventive. They all form together appropriately. The difficulty level is very hard, but not outside of the reasonable range. Yeah, I'll end the review here. Shit us out another golden nugget Malfunction. See if you can top it.

Variet - 7.5
    variet.png
    Aha. So this was actually submitted before "laste". It isn't as good as it's successor, however very solid.

This map-maker is constantly using spikes in huge abundance, which I would prefer it to be toned down. Spikes are an easy choice to go for when putting together a challenge. But there are other options, and I think the players in the server appreciate greatly when other styles are brought to the forefront as well as spikes.

Okay so the level is a spike-festival. I want to stress that this isn't a bad thing, but it would have scored a little higher if one more of the challenges were free of these highly versatile useful things.

Yes so I'm going to talk about spikes again, hehe.. Malfunction does make use of them extremely well. I cannot knock him for that.

Back to being sensible - I won't go on for this review. It's a nice level. And I want to point out that this mapper's creations get you very involved and are certainly not lacking in action. Congratulations.

The map in places looks a bit rough. The map could have looked less random in design. It's very appealing to be playing a fine level with real care taken in making elegant shapes.

-Map by @CobaltDemon

Yuss HWP - 7.5
    yussHWP.png
    I was in conflict whilst reviewing this. The level of expertise shown in producing it's eye-candy is daunting. But I feel like the map belongs more to a single-player style story-based campaign rather than a comprehensive skills challenge server.

It is just too short, and too difficult. Most new and moderate players will struggle to even complete 2 challenges. Give 'em something to chew on!

Back to the light side - challenge IV is a moment of excellence; It seems as though you can only go into the void, but alas, there's actually 1 block height that is not void, but darkness, whereby you can slip under and back up again to the other side. This challenge was one of the shocks I've had whilst running the contest and I loved it.

I thought it was quite brave to use a necromancer. This was challenge VI. Unfortunately necromancers will be made invulnerable soon, as I wish to open this option up to map makers as another tool to use.

Challenge V even seemed too clever for assault-maps. It is a puzzle. You must launch an arrow up between the jump, in order to create a bridge in the room above, so that you may cross it.

For a different type of mapping contest I could see this scoring close to a 10/10. But here I am afraid it doesn't work as well. Still, I'm very pleased about this highly unique submission. Pros will love this map, but more modest players will beg for a map skip.

---------------------------------------------------
    [Do you want to join the competition? Want to get your challenge map hosted? Anyone can enter. Go to the first post in this thread, check out the map format, make your map and simply send it via personal message to daskew87. Then see how high you get in the leaderboard in the next official board post]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  3. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

For Mal's challenge 5, you're supposed to shoot arrows over the wall from the first tunnel, and then go through the tunnel and land on them before doing quater shots to get you to the right and off. I agree though, this is my favourite obstacle of all time, but I orgasm for every arrow ladder obstacle.

Also, my map is 10/10 cus even Daskowl the best archer ever couldn't beat it. gg ez.

malfunction and daskew87 like this.
  4. malfunction

malfunction Drill Rusher Staff Alumni
    1. Ancient Gear - [AG#]

Well, to be honest, my intention was to make 5 the way just like daskew described it, but uh, I guess you could do it your way too.

daskew87 likes this.
  5. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

Working on something with mechanisms. Hopefully I'll complete it
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  6. Monkey_Feats

Monkey_Feats Bison Rider Tester

Yes ty Mazey, I have been wanting someone to do this. My server is already running mechanisms, But no maps.

daskew87 likes this.
  7. Olimarrex

Olimarrex Ballista Bolt Thrower Official Server Admin

For Laste (challenge 5), I found that if you just fell (from a reasonably high height, but not the top, too far) you could somehow avoid taking dmg from the spikes...?
    EDIT: prolly a good time to mention that I'm making another mainly underground based map, except the first 2-3 aren't inside, and prolly to do with the void. Mostly to cut down the lag of peoples bodies being everywhere, I'd also like to mention that the tunnel map I made previously IS possible, just lags a lot on a multiplayer server.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    daskew87 likes this.
  8. daskew87

-CONTEST NEWS-
    news.jpg

!!!Waiting for more maps

I have recieved a few maps since the last leaderboard, but I am just waiting on a few more before I proceed. Some of this latest stuff however is absolutely brilliant and the 1st, 2nd and 3rd places will most likely change after this next update!

I made an extremely simple map today. This one is intense. You will see why.

screen-15-12-13-03-48-29.png
    It massively expands an element of an @Olimarrex map :wink:

!!!Modding help needed

wrench_clip_art_10749.jpg

Currently I have nobody to help make a mod to ensure the best finishing times are recorded. If you think you can help me, send me a pm and I will be greatly appreciative.

---------------------------------------------------
    [Do you want to join the competition? Want to get your challenge map hosted? Anyone can enter. Go to the first post in this thread, check out the map format, make your map and simply send it via personal message to daskew87. Then see how high you get in the leaderboard in the next official board post]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  9. Olimarrex

:D You evil bishe Daskew. But, the best finishing times thing, how are you going to have it work? is it going to be going from when the user spawned in, or straight from the start?

daskew87 likes this.
  10. Nikpi

Nikpi Horde Gibber

Made a map...
    Nikpie7 - 1.png
    I tested each part out individually and it's all possible... :wink:
    Number 10 is funny ::D:

*fixed spike lag*

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  11. JackMcDaniels

JackMcDaniels Haxor

There are currently two maps that are bugged, touching the green arrow in the vertical map in the top left corner will "complete" the map, the same it also true on the other map where you fall onto a single block and get stunned for a second.

daskew87 likes this.
  12. demosito

demosito Horde Gibber

This is just a fucking good idea dask, and maps look awesome too, good job! :wink:

daskew87 and Snake19 like this.
  13. daskew87

LEADERBOARD POST #3

These maps just keep getting better :rekt:

Take a look at this beauty. I've recycled this board format from the mapping contest last year ::D:

leaderboard.png

Scores & Reviews

-Map by @Olimarrex

Circle - 5.8 (would be over 9 in another context)
    ACCircle.png
    I feel very similar about this map as I do about the map submitted by CobaltDemon. Extremely good, but not the sort of thing I'm looking for.

This contest is about producing maps you can just have an attempt at straight away, no fuss, just skill and wits. Making a server that's a great place to practice your archer skills. This map is mostly dark and also has different routes. Because of this it is hard for it to be a nice "flowing" experience for players.

On the plus side it has got loads of thrills and spills. Some of the challenges in here are ingenius and I got excited about them. However in the context of the level I just do not appreciate them that much for the kind of server I am hosting.

Well. It is interesting when you get a map submitted that really makes you deeply think about the nature of the contest itself. Heh. And I genuinely believe this map has amazing aspects to it and was created with immense skill. But the maps really do have to stick to flowing well - in some parts it isn't even clear which way you're supposed to head to the next challenge.

-Maps by @TheFlare

Assault Course 2 - 8/10
    assaultcourseflare2.png
    We are getting a lot of top content submitted now. This map looks quite professional.

Here are some great points about this submission...

The level is split very clearly into sections - you know which challenge you are on because it is very clear. This is certainly one thing I am after.

It has a variety of challenges and in this way is very creative. You can tell flare was trying to mix it up, and he made a great success of this.

I don't have much to say as criticism here. But I do want to mention that challenge 2 is a bit inelegant. There is no need for the last one way layer under the first two. Also I think challenge 2 is too long, considering it is very easy to not get stuck under the 2nd one-way layer. However this is only a minor issue and perhaps more just to do with my preferences.

Assault Course 3 - 8.5
    assaultcourseflare3.png
    Well holy crap.

I really like this one. The user has chosen to make the order of challenges very different. You start in the middle and go up. Then you go back to the middle and go down. This in itself isn't necessarily a positive, but it's nice to see something different.

The professional look of the level is a very high standard. So very well done.

Each challenge is clever, and they're also varied and fit together to make a nice theme. Another huge tick.

Some people were finding challenge 1 annoying. Haha. I have to admit I found it a bit annoying also. But after some consideration I believe it to be a decent section.

I wish to highlight strongly how expertly put together his challenge 4 is. Here is a screeny:
    screenshot.png
    So compact and clever, with every inch trying to maximize dynamic gameplay. It's a wonder how you fit all that in there and made it work. One of the most impressive sights so far in this competition, and I even learned a new trick from this part, where you can use arrows to help you glitch through one-ways. Thanks dude, I didn't know that.

-Map by @Nikpi

Nikpie7 - 1 - 7
    Nikpie7 - 1.png
    The map is good and there are some very involved challenges, but the level lags due to so many spikes, even after nikpie reduced them. I did give the level a 7 though, which is a decent score, and I gave it that because it is well-organised and there are plenty of subtle jumps and grapples you have to make throughout it, which is desireable.

I find that this map is too hard. I would be suprised if someone ever completed it. This doesn't mark the map down by much, but it does somewhat.

For a first map I would say nikpie has done very well and I hope he tries to make another.

-Maps by @Redshadow6

Intellectual Disability - 9 !NEW COMPETTION LEADER!
    redshadow6_IntellectualDisability.png
    Stunning.

This map started out with a jump a little too difficult. It was the kind of jump a pro archer would need maybe 15 attempts to actually make it accross. So I told redshadow about this overbearing first challenge and he tweaked it to be shorter. A rough start to this map.

The next problem came up where I didn't know (nor did it seem anyone else) how to get past challenge 3. Though eventually people started figuring it out and this challenge that I thought redshadow had messed up in making, turned out to be just original, and works perfectly fine if you know how to do it.

I found another so called "issue" when I encountered challenge 7. It's not that it didn't work, it was that I thought there was no point in the vertical one-way strips inside the spike-shaft and that redshadow hadn't thought it through much. However this was wrong as after a few times going through it myself I realised they actually made it trickier. I am still unsure about how this works, but they do. So after all of that. It somewhat sunk in how amazing this map is...

It just is. The challenges are brilliantly invented. The shark one I love because it involves a highly original concept where you basically just have to stick as far to the right as you possibly can and you won't get bitten. Challenge 6 is delicious - you have to glitch through the 1 block gap and keep holding the grapple out as to not launch into the void, then you have to activate the tunnel whilst dropping, but very quickly or you will also fall into the void. This stuff is bananas good, really fricken good. I am crazy about the bison challenge towards the end - what a creative use of animals, and the challenge totally makes sense also.

Challenge 9 is almost impossible, but the reason for this is that the one-ways collapse at the start of the map - but I have asked redshadow to fix this.

This level is incredible content and the highest rated map submitted so far. GJ-FGT. :D.

Cheese - 6.5
    Redshadow_cheese.png
    I am very confused with this one. I think it's very clever, but the early challenges are way too hard. Users want a map skip pretty soon. I also think that some things aren't done that well - such as the shark tank where you can very easily get past it and it only seems to be there for display.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  14. JackMcDaniels

JackMcDaniels Haxor

Falling to your death and hitting a stone block on the way down will cause the stone block to gradually break away and eventually break completely, I'm not sure if this is an issue in your server but it is pretty annoying and limiting when it comes to map creation.

Blue_Tiger likes this.
  15. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

Yeah, I hate it when some people spend all the time on that one Daskowl map falling from a great height onto stone blocks so they eventually break and no one can easily complete the map. Even worse when some people insist on jumping back and force on the same challenge so no one can get past.

16. I might go back to map making because of this ehehe

How much time do I have left and what is the prize if there is one?

17. Olimarrex

No prize

18. I'm cool with that but still, still want to know if I have some decent time left.

19. daskew87

Contest Update

I'm very sorry to say but due to life circumstances I have to atleast put this contest on a break for now.

I cannot manage running it and the server, even though it's going very well.

Sorry all.
    ::(:

AmestriStephen likes this.
  20. gl with that man, take the time ya need