1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

daskew87 (mapping mod)

Discussion in 'For Forum Mods (closed)' started by daskew87, Jun 30, 2017.

1. daskew87

daskew87 Legendary corpse humper Donator

Application for

Mapping mod

Why I would like the job

I love making maps, I love helping people make maps (example). I've spoken to a fair few users in my time in kag and helped them get started and also, I love critiquing maps, giving people advice.
    I also really want to see how we might improve this map pool.

Why I think I'm a good candidate

I ran two mapping contests (map-making contest by daskew and guro) and (bw mapping challenge) These contests went down well and I think helped inspire even some new map makers to get involved. I spent a lot of time giving constructive feedback about all submissions, and I did my best to respond to people politely and positively. This is a subject I care very much about and have much passion for. ::):

I believe I am good at addressing stuff on the forum properly and appropriately. And I see the jobs I take on through with proper effort.

I wouldn't let just any map into the pool. I recognise that default maps need to look professional aesthetically as they are fronting the game. I also think that they should be varied, but not too off-base so that they confuse newer players. A good balance should be struck.

------------------------------------
    [EDIT: I also ran some non-mapping contests knight tournament and archer tournament and a special one-off clan challenge]
    ------------------------------------

Thankyou for reading

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    8x, stephen_the_7th, Yang and 10 others like this.
  2. oddjoeguy

oddjoeguy Builder Stabber

+1 Dask did a great job hosting those contests, and helped me make maps myself for my stuff, and a map for shiprekt as well. The map pool does need some spicing up and Dask would be great at that.

3. LordPumpkin

LordPumpkin Bison Rider

+1 @daskew87 Is a cool dude good at making maps mature and nice and I think he would be good at this

4. Yang

Yang Catapult Fodder

Dask is a widely known and contributing player, as well as a long standing member and donator to the community. Although these merits by themselves would surely be enough proof on their own that Dask is an appropriate candidate for administrative and moderation roles, he is also a proficient and experienced mapmaker, who I'm sure would hold others' maps to the same high standards of panache and style that he achieves himself. As aforementioned, he has run several mapmaking competitions, and has actually personally inspired me to start making maps myself (this was about a week ago, I have since then produced 2 maps for Vans' factions server, and am currently making a third). He also has experience in administrating his own shiprekt server, which he pays for - not just hosting but also paying modders to add to the mod - out of his own pocket: final and conclusive proof in my mind that this is a man who clearly cares about KAG both as a game and a community.

TLDR:
    +1, but that's understating it a little bit.

5. Galen

Galen Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

Donating to the forums and hosting private servers does not qualify anyone for moderatorship. You can't buy moderator status.

Yang, PUNK123 and bunnie like this.
  6. stephen_the_7th

stephen_the_7th Shark Slayer

I agree with you Galen that donating alone may not qualify a player for moderatorship, but it does show that Dask does care about the game and the community.

Dask is a great admin, and I have to say that he did a wonderful job running the contests. I like the idea of a dask being a mapping mod because he is one the kag players, and He knows first hand how the community feels about the maps. The fact that Dask has had experience in making maps and judging other's maps makes him stellar candidate. I think he would improve the map quality to accommodate both beginner and long term players.
    Dask gets a +1 from me.

Edit: I realize that this account has 0 messages. the only reason i used it was because it's includes my kag username.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  7. Yang

Yang Catapult Fodder

I just meant that I think one reason he deserves a moderator role is that he clearly is an active and committed member of the community. Donating money was merely one example of him being thus.

Biurza likes this.
  8. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

His past hosting of servers was not without contraversy (he picked shit admins and was known to, let's say, take advantage of the extra powers he had as a private server hoster.) There are also some very isolated incidences in the past where he misbehaved on official and received a temp ban. He is infamous for his swatzika building ingame, also, but that just shows that when he doesn't feel like taking something seriously he will do as he pleases. None of this disqualifies him from admin here in my view, because these instances were situations where he felt like "having fun", but I wouldn't go so far as to endorse him for forum mod just because I don't know how he would react long term to responsibility and power(his mapping "credentials" definitely speak for itself though)

bunnie likes this.
  9. Yang

Yang Catapult Fodder

Hey, he made me an admin of shiprekt and I would daresay that I have not been a shit admin, and I'd say most of the other (regular) admins are quite good as well.
    I actually have to disagree with you about the bit on admin abusing. Whereas he may have done so in the past, in the last 3 months since Shiprekt has existed, I've never seen him admin abuse in a proper game (sometimes if there's just 1 or 2 other people on the server he asks them if he wants to mess around a bit), and he holds equally high standards for his admins (at least he did for me anyway). As for the swastika, it was more him being an edgelord than making an actual political statement, and I would say that he has matured since then, although he is still quite edgy.

I might not go as far as to recommend him for full adminship, but he's definitely a good choice for map moderation, which does not extend to admin duties of policing the official servers.

10. Galen

Galen Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

Hint: forum moderation is in no way related to ingame moderation. Just saying because it doesn't appear to be common knowledge these days.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 3, 2017, Original Post Date: Jul 2, 2017 ---
    Rejected.